talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Copa América 2019 - Final - BRAZIL 3-1 PERÚ

football forum

6 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Ridiculously they'll probably still go through if they beat Qatar, as they'll have more points than Japan regardless of their result. Don't like this system where the best 3rd place team goes through and think Argentina will be battered by Uruguay or Chile.

They had it in the Euros too, even though we have plenty of teams in it. It meant a dire tournament with teams knowing they could lose 1-0 twice and still go through. It mean dogs like Republic of Ireland got through and even Portugal the champions shouldn't really have been there. This rewarding of mediocrity is destroying football.

Never forget when Paraguay got to the Copa America final without winning a single game xD

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some people are saying Scaloni won't make it to Qatar, I think he will personally because Qatar is their next game :ph34r:

Carlos Zambrano out of the Copa for us due to injury.

I hope Gareca opts for Santamaria instead of Araujo. I like both players but Anderson is much more complete. A proper ball playing defender. Top that off with Araujo's inconsistent minutes with Talleres and he has looked terrible in the friendlies. Has to be Santamaria.

15 hours ago, José said:

Argentina down 1-0 Paraguay st halftime... just do Argentina a favor Messi and please retire from the NT. 

He would be doing himself a favour you mean  mate. Argentina have been an utter mess for years and the fact they even got near reaching 3 finals is commendable really when you consider how much of a mess they are and how cursed that national team seems to be.

How many managers have they had in the last 7 or so years? None of them, other than Sabella, being a good option at that.

Look at Aguero, he was brilliant for Independiente, brilliant for Atletico Madrid and now he's brilliant for City, yet when he plays for Argentina he looks a shell of himself. There is seriously something wrong with that national team as none of their big players perform and if they do, it only ever seems to be Messi, which itself isn't a common occurrence.

Anyway, I think this is a big chance for someone like Peru(or another unexpected side) to take advantage and go all the way this year. Brazil look just as wank as Argentina.

Shame both of them are 35. Guerrero in particular peaked way too late. What a player he has become. Farfan isn't in his prime anymore but he's aged well, like a fine wine.

If Chile and Uruguay both win then we are through to the next round.

Uruguay I'm certain will beat Japan just because it's another veteran vs youth game like the previous one. Chile vs Ecuador is a bit tougher but I do think the Chileans will see it out. Ecuador was the worst team of the first round.

4 minutes ago, José said:

So Chile supposedly has old washed up players (yet they had a convincing win) and peru has those old average duo and they are called lethal even though they were far from lethal versus Venezuela and barely scrapped a win versus BOLIVIA.  Can someone explain that ass backwards reasoning to me? 

I can. Sanchez, Beauseajour and Isla are all washed up players not even close to what they used to be, the latter 2 in particular are awful and were that against Japan. Vidal and Medel are the only 2 who still look to have something. 

Guerrero on the other hand is in his prime. Farfán aged well albeit not in his prime (like Vidal) and have statistically the best shots to goal ratio in the tournament. Only when the stat is convenient to you no?

Guerrero was the best player on the pitch in the Venezuela game besides Fariñez. Constantly getting involved in the attack, dishing out key passes all game. Farfán was more quiet but had a few good runs on the counter. 

I also don’t get where you get this idea that we scraped past Bolivia. Won by 2 and they had 1 chance from open play in the entire game. Even then, beating someone 4-0 doesn’t make you better than beating someone 3-1, especially when you consider Chile played a side that was U23 and inexperienced.

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

The world needs a Mexico vs Peru match. 

Not really. I couldn't care less if we are worse than Mexico or not. For Teso it's a matter of life and death though. He's really immature and I highly doubt he's older than 15.

4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think Tite is an absolutely shit manager

And there you have why Brazil is not that good anymore. He is simply the best Brazilian manager bar none. In second by a long shot is Felipao. Yeah, same guy who won the tournament with Brazil in 2002 and then lost to Germany 7-1 twelve years later.

They need to start hiring foreign coaches soon because there is nobody. Unfortunately for them that is not an option.

Paolo Guerrero vs Venezuela according to Sofascore

4 shots, 3 key passes

So yeah he wasn't as useless as you think Teso. He was comfortably the best outfield player in the game.

I'm not one for using stats but given it's the only way to shut you up, I'll make an exception since you don't want to believe me.

Japan looked excellent against Chile but missed too many chances and were awful defensively. Similar issues here but they at least took the lead this time.

• Subscriber

Japan should just pick the ball up and walk off. What a waste of everyone's time if that's a penalty.

VAR has exposed some huge flaws in this game.

Muslera is not a good keeper at all. He was good for a few years between the 2010 and 2014 World Cup, but after that nothing. Cost Uruguay on that second Japan goal.

Credit where its due to them. Japan played another good game like they did against Chile but this time they actually bagged their chances. Once again they looked a bit tired at the end, but at least had a point to hold onto as opposed to their first game where they were chasing a result.

My lineup to face Brazil

Gallese

Advincula - Santamaria - Abram - Trauco

Tapia - Yotun

Farfan - Cueva - Flores

Guerrero

Gareca will probably go with Araujo instead of Santamaria though, knowing him. That would be a disaster waiting to happen.

Lautaro Martinez and Messi had some resentment towards Scaloni after the Paraguay match. Both told media of their frustration on how Scaloni ruined what was working for them. Two forwards with Messi behind them. 

I'd have to agree. Easily Argentina's best spell until Scaloni took Lautaro out for DiMaria.  Not only that, he switched DiMaria and DePaul's sides, which had the left side for Argentina completely useless for 15 minutes given DiMaria can't control a ball.

Scaloni's in match decisions have blatantly displayed his inexperience. 

cesarmenotti.jpg

"El Flaco" Menotti Pulls No Punches

"Not even with Cruyff or Guardiola would this Argentina achieve anything"

The legendary Argentinian football  figure of César Luis Menotti is always listened to, he's never ignored, what he says is taken on board and seen as words of wisdom.

In an interview yesterday Menotti pulled no punches but then again it's not the first time he's said things like these in recent years and has warned time and time again of the over valuing of players due to modern football products associated to some of the names available to the squad that have nothing whatsoever to do with the requirements of football and the ethos behind a sentiment that is the catalyst to victory.

"Every country has a culture and that culture is part of what identitifes that country. Football is the same! Every nationa that has a football culture, also has a fundamental basis to the understanding the football bases itself on within that country historically."

"I'm not going to dance around the carousel of this or that with what's always being said. Argentina have the poorest pool of players in its history because there are very overvalued players there, players that come with a status from where they play instead of what they really do. Players that play within an ethos at clubs where they're surrounded by cogs that fit the pieces of the machinery... Talent isn't enough, but it's necessary to distinguish the finer moments which decide the whole story of a game and a tournament."

"Messi aside who is special, and with an immense and unnatural weight on his shoulders that reproduces everything negative Argentinian culture has. He is the best player in the world, possibly the greatest player of all time but everything else is just a bit of this and a bit of that."

"Not even with Cruyff or Guardiola would anything of note be able to be achieved with this Argentina. The parts to the machinery aren't there because the only thing people can do is quote names of footballers playing within sides that function.  Argentina can win, even now, but it wouldn't mean a thing even if that minor miracle were to occur due to the fact that it would be based on other poor sides failing around them. Imposing one's self is where merit is giving, not speculating to a final moment of glory because deep down you're left with the question, now what? Where do we go on from here!"

"It's not about coaching, it's all about an ethos! Build around that and then add something unique like Messi and you have history in the making. I've said it a million times before that Maradona did not win the World Cup in 1986 on his own because what was taken to Mexico worked and then something celestial like Diego was added. We have the celestial now but there is no foundation to the paper on which to ask the architect to design around that belief."

Lol Man Utd fans should be seriously annoyed with Sanchez. He hardly looks like a footballer for them, he’s looking like Chile’s star again. He should be fined about a years worth of wages... if he was playing at any other club. United should give him a pay rise though

8 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Lol Man Utd fans should be seriously annoyed with Sanchez. He hardly looks like a footballer for them, he’s looking like Chile’s star again. He should be fined about a years worth of wages... if he was playing at any other club. United should give him a pay rise though

He is hardly looking like a star mate. In the Japan game they gave him too much space yet took a few bad decisions (also a few good ones so 50-50), and vs Ecuador all he did was score a good goal. Otherwise he was anonymous.

Chile's 2 best players in this Copa have been Gary Medel and Charles Aranguiz. The former for trying his best to carry a poor defence and the latter for assisting 3 of Chile's goals and looking lively in the middle to help transition from defence to attack.

Just now, Grizzly21 said:

He is hardly looking like a star mate. In the Japan game they gave him too much space yet took a few bad decisions (also a few good ones so 50-50), and vs Ecuador all he did was score a good goal. Otherwise he was anonymous.

Chile's 2 best players in this Copa have been Gary Medel and Charles Aranguiz. The former for trying his best to carry a poor defence and the latter for assisting 3 of Chile's goals and looking lively in the middle to help transition from defence to attack.

Scoring goals is probably the most important thing in football

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Scoring goals is probably the most important thing in football

That doesn't mean you are a star though.

I saw both games (just assuming you are reading this up) and Sanchez was not that good. He looked OK against Japan but definitely not what he used to be, and against Ecuador he only showed up to score the winner. He was nowhere to be seen.

Aranguiz has been Chile's best player by some margin.

3 minutes ago, Grizzly21 said:

That doesn't mean you are a star though.

I saw both games (just assuming you are reading this up) and Sanchez was not that good. He looked OK against Japan but definitely not what he used to be, and against Ecuador he only showed up to score the winner. He was nowhere to be seen.

Aranguiz has been Chile's best player by some margin.

I only saw highlights.

I’m not surprised he’s not the player he used to be. Because look at his career lol. But at United when he does get on the pitch he looks like he’s never ever going to score, with Chile he’s scoring.

Maybe he needs to leave Europe or at least the big leagues, so he’ll at least score again

• The title was changed to Copa América 2019 - Final - BRAZIL v PERÚ
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived