Copa América 2019 - Final - BRAZIL 3-1 PERÚ

football forum

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The difference between Vidal and Medel

Medel: "Peru deserved to get to the final, we need to congratulate them"

Vidal: "Peru were never superior and we deserved it more"

There is your great "leader", @Teso dos Bichos. Gary Medel showed throughout this tournament that he is the true captain of Chile. Good speaker, serious and well respected within the squad. Vidal on the other hand with his drunk driving at the 2015 Copa or his idiotic comments that led to World Cup elimination in the qualifiers will remain the poison in the Chile dressing room.

Just now, SirBalon said:

@Grizzly21

What for you were the key tactical solutions for defeating Chile in the semis?

It's a great feat considering Chile had been there in recent times and knew about the pressure and requirements.

We played the same lineup against Uruguay, but played a lot better yesterday. 

We started by running at that Chilean backline, who are not only old and slow, but also not very good (besides Medel perhaps). Carrillo vs Beausejour was only going to end one way. After we went 2-0 up, we began searching for the counter. In terms of positioning, we were impeccable. Chile had all the ball after the second goal but didn't know what to do with it. So the idea was getting the ball to Paolo so he can slowly start the counter while the other players run behind him.

While we were indeed more conservative against Uruguay, I do think we genuinely played badly there. Yesterday though we were brilliant. I think the players were fired up. Everyone was ruling us out and Chileans themselves were already thinking about the final against Brazil (fans and pundits moreso than the players) so hearing nobody give us a chance, fired us up I reckon. 

The midfield did well to close down on Chile's attackers and give the 2 CB's more support to eventually head the ball out successfully. Pedro Gallese was also brilliant. He played his best game since the Argentina game at la Bombonera, and despite being 2-0 up for most of the game, he didn't let a single one of those go in.

Now as more of a general comment, I think Edison Flores is a must on this team. He doesn't always stand out, but he can score even when he doesn't do anything. He's 25 and already near Peru's all time top 10 goalscorers, with 13 goals. His big game moments are needed, he's also quite good defensively and pressing at a high line. So I hope he's not out for the final.

3 minutes ago, Grizzly21 said:

We played the same lineup against Uruguay, but played a lot better yesterday. 

We started by running at that Chilean backline, who are not only old and slow, but also not very good (besides Medel perhaps). Carrillo vs Beausejour was only going to end one way. After we went 2-0 up, we began searching for the counter. In terms of positioning, we were impeccable. Chile had all the ball after the second goal but didn't know what to do with it. So the idea was getting the ball to Paolo so he can slowly start the counter while the other players run behind him.

While we were indeed more conservative against Uruguay, I do think we genuinely played badly there. Yesterday though we were brilliant. I think the players were fired up. Everyone was ruling us out and Chileans themselves were already thinking about the final against Brazil (fans and pundits moreso than the players) so hearing nobody give us a chance, fired us up I reckon. 

The midfield did well to close down on Chile's attackers and give the 2 CB's more support to eventually head the ball out successfully. Pedro Gallese was also brilliant. He played his best game since the Argentina game at la Bombonera, and despite being 2-0 up for most of the game, he didn't let a single one of those go in.

Now as more of a general comment, I think Edison Flores is a must on this team. He doesn't always stand out, but he can score even when he doesn't do anything. He's 25 and already near Peru's all time top 10 goalscorers, with 13 goals. His big game moments are needed, he's also quite good defensively and pressing at a high line. So I hope he's not out for the final.

For me Gallese was MOM. I was really impressed with him.

Just now, SirBalon said:

For me Gallese was MOM. I was really impressed with him.

It's unbelievable that Boca wanted to scam him a few months ago but ended up scamming Carlos Lampe instead. Gallese ended up back in Peru for Alianza Lima. The big problem with Peru is that the agents here are terrible. After Carrillo's World Cup he should have aimed for bigger than Saudi Arabia, even after his bad season with Watford.

The sad reality though is that some Peruvians aren't made for club level because of how low the general work rate of the players is. Carrillo is a player for Saudi Arabia because he can't maintain form for 38 games a season. I am not complaining because it works for the national team, but I do wish we had a James Rodriguez or an Alexis Sanchez. Our players may play for smaller clubs but they have a lot of talent.

Paolo Guerrero is the closest we have to a world class player, and he could possibly be that depending on your point of view. I personally think he peaked too late. He's at his best now, but why would a European take a punt on a 35 year old playing in Brazil? 

• The title was changed to Copa América 2019 - Final - BRAZIL v PERÚ
5 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Nothing much to say until the final except for the fact Brazil might be facing one of its easiest opponents in a final. 

Idk if someone has mentioned it but Argentina hasn't come back from a first half deficit since the 1920's in Copa america. Shocking 

Chile would have been much easier for them.

8 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Nothing much to say until the final except for the fact Brazil might be facing one of its easiest opponents in a final. 

Idk if someone has mentioned it but Argentina hasn't come back from a first half deficit since the 1920's in Copa america. Shocking 

Why do you think Perú were so much better than Chile though?

The analysis for thr Brazil v Perú game is for a later date as we're all still digesting what occurred the other night.

37 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Thanks. Everything is under control now. 

Congratulations Libby. Peru is good enough to keep it close the first half but if they dont play their best, it could get ugly. 

Something I thought I'd never hear. Thanks!

5 hours ago, SirBalon said:

What a relief!

I feel like doing a page printout and hanging the momentous occasion on the wall.

It feels so refreshing after having to hear nonsense about Peru for 4 years.

34 minutes ago, Grizzly21 said:

It feels so refreshing after having to hear nonsense about Peru for 4 years.

Hopefully now you can both debate for debate’s sake even if you disagree and without looking to bait eachother. 

Peru campeon! Peru campeon!

Es el grito que repite la aficion!

Dice en cada palpitar mi corazon!

Venceremos a todo rival!

Con el lema, Peru a campeonar!

Siempre arriba, Peru debe ganar!

ac1209ee2aee616d22de1bbd9ba0c1ea.jpg

• The topic was unpinned

Archived