talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Copa América 2019 - Final - BRAZIL 3-1 PERÚ

football forum

57 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/jun/17/didier-drogba-uefa-suspension-champions-league

what Drogba did was a fucking disgrace :ph34r: but what Messi did was very similar, just without swearing

You wanna know something. For me what Drogba did may be wrong in the real world but the real world isn’t the one us fans live in and how he felt is totally understandable and I fully comprehend his sentiments of frustration and impotence. I could never feel anything other than sympathy. As for Messi... His frustrations come from further back and as far as I’m concerned they are rooted in his own country and his general treatment over the years. 

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Argentina's biggest problem is the fact that they constantly chop and change managers, don't have a real system in place and the AFA are a complete mess. Under the correct guidance, they could have won a few trophies during this time and built on the under 20 world cup and Olympics that they won back when their recent generation of players were forming. I don't know about a World Cup though as in 2010, Spain were a vastly superior outfit, even if Argentina had clicked and played at their best and in 2014, you can't really hold it against them too much for losing against Germany, who were a much superior side. They only lost 1-0 and did well to get to the final in the first place. I would in fact say that this is the only period where they got it right in terms of who their coach was. Sabella was perfect for them, had them playing their best football in years in the qualifiers before getting them to the final. They should have done their all to keep him for a few more years and they'd have likely won 1, if not both, of those copas during 2015-2016.

Another problem has been the fact that they always produce players in the same positions and have never really been able to truly field balanced teams.

41 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

It´s never Messi´s fault. xD

2006: Cambiasso´s fault

2007: Messi was still too young 

2010: Maradona was clueless

2011: Tevez/Higuain´s fault

2014:  Palacio/Higuain´s fault

2015: Blame Higuaín one last time

2016: Tata Martino´s fault

2018: Sampaoli´s fault

2019: Conmebol´s fault

But you and I know full well that in Argentina they genuinely have treated Messi like an outcast and to be honest there have been some pretty awful things said about him even in the national media. 

13 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

But you and I know full well that in Argentina they genuinely have treated Messi like an outcast and to be honest there have been some pretty awful things said about him even in the national media. 

Agree. 

I mean, without Messi, Argentina would never have made it to the finals in 2014, 2015 and 2016. But at the same time, building false narratives, scapegoating other players and putting in them the entirely responsibility for those losses, like Messi fanboys do on Twitter, is not the right answer either. 

He has a share of fault for those defeats too, just as he also has a lot of merity for being a star player leading his national team to 3 consecutive finals, which is no small feat. 

When it comes to Messi and Ronaldo the debate is just too black and white, there is no nuance. 

All we had to do is hold the 1-1 til half time. Of course 2 players had to slip and give Jesus essentially a free goal. We don’t have the tactical discipline to match Brazil in their own home.

• Subscriber

Zambrano with a totally unnecessary foul to gift Brazil a penalty and ultimately the game.

Not a bad effort from Peru by any means but just not quite enough sadly. Well done Brazil.

Thank you to Gareca and all the players. Making the entire country proud. Unfortunately Brazil are unbeatable at home as I’ve said before.

Congrats to Brazil and @El Profesor. Correct champions.

14 minutes ago, Grizzly21 said:

Thank you to Gareca and all the players. Making the entire country proud. Unfortunately Brazil are unbeatable at home as I’ve said before.

Great tournament from Peru. 

You guys played well tonight, hopefully Gareca stays put for next year.

Congratulations @El Profesor... Brazil have deserved this Copa América without a doubt. By far the best team and without  Neymar!

Commiserations @Grizzly21... Perú can feel proud of the campaign they've had in this edition of the Copa América. It's another building block in confidence towards the future.

Great tournament! 

2 hours ago, Grizzly21 said:

Unlucky mate. I still think this performance has been a great vindication of the talents of Peruvian football after a slightly disappointing world cup last year.

Commiserations, but also credit for a great tournament.

20190708-636981434955183100_201907080046

Brazil players respond to Messi's words

After the celebreations on the field where Brazil won the Copa América various players commented on Lionel Messi's words the previous day when he accused the CONMEBOL of corruption ane bad intentions.  Journalists looking for a non-football headline (how unusual) the next day asked some players on their thoughts.

Here were the responses from a select few;

Dani Alves

"It's a special day for us and we're going to concentrate on enjoying ourselves, but all I can say in relation to the comments is that I don't agree with Messi. We have worked very hard to accomplish this conquest. I can understand he's upset, but I don't agree that the tournament is bought."

Marquinhos

"It's frustrating that a player of his quality and calibre should say something like this. A star of his dimensions that's admired by all. Referees have made mistakes in the favour of Barcelona in the past and nobody in this national team have ever spoken about corruption in the refereeing."

Thiago Silva

"It's difficult to comment on that because at times when somebody loses, try to take away from one's own responsibility ends up throwing the blame at others. He didn't say it out of malice, but he said it. It came from his mouth."

Casemiro

"Those that have a mouth talk what they want. It isn't for me to talk, it's a delicate issue. It isn't for me to say if the referee did a good job, we all try to do our best and we have to thank Perú for the great tournament they've played."

ac7e6bdfe4154ae981691bea850405db-kgdB-U4

Argentina could play the UEFA League of Nations

The aftermath of Lionel Messi's words accusing the CONMEBOL of corruption and adulteration of results in this year's Copa América has brought forward many comments and possible outcomes. One of those is quite controversial in the sense that it is conceivable that Argentina could participate in future editions of UEFA's League of Nations. It has come to light that UEFA actually invited Argentina for the very first edition and Argentina's football federation, AFA declined the invitation.

Bu after the occurrences in this edition of the Copa América, AFA who are fuming have according to football journalist, Daniel Avellaneda who works for FOX sent in an application to UEFA to participate in the next edition of the League of Nations and omitting itself from participation in the CONMEBOL's premium international tournament, the Copa América.

AFA say that this isn't just an issue based on what happened this time in the 2019 Copa América, but issues that go back years and even involve sponsors in the shape of sports brands.

• Subscriber

UEFA have denied inviting Argentina to the tournament but they can always be special guests to watch it xD

The Argentine branch of the broadcaster reported the Albiceleste had been offered a place at the Nations League if they opted out of the Copa America following a tempestuous campaign in Brazil.

However, the governing body said in a statement: “There is no truth whatsoever in the suggestion that Argentina has been asked to participate in UEFA competitions, nor to become a member of UEFA.

“UEFA has never entered into any discussions on this matter and would never do so.

“However, in the spirit of friendship and camaraderie and as an inclusive organisation, UEFA will, of course, invite Argentina as special guests to watch any UEFA competition at any time.”

On 07/07/2019 at 11:43, MUFC said:

Messi is 100% right, it wasn't a red. But what makes me laugh is, the way he boycotted the ceremony. This is the behavior which if Ronaldo did, he would be getting called every name under the sun, but this little shit who is just as much as a cunt always gets away criticism free.

True, people do seem to think that Messi is a saint, although the opposite can be said when it comes to performances. If Ronaldo has a poor game, but one of his team mates wins the game(i.e Ramos, Eder and recently Guedes) he gains all the plaudits while the player deciding the game receives little. The opposite occurs with Messi though. He can be Argentina's best player as they reach a world cup final and still be heavily criticised, while Ronaldo's team went out in the groups of the same tournament and he received none. C.Ronaldo may get lambasted more for being a cunt, but he only has to simply score a header in a game to be wanked over in the media worldwide, whereas Messi has to do something magical to gain plaudits.

But fuck all that as it starts to sound like a fanboy argument.

18 hours ago, El Profesor said:

Great tournament from Peru. 

You guys played well tonight, hopefully Gareca stays put for next year.

I'm not gonna lie, after the 5-0 I was thinking that things were getting stale under Gareca, similarly to how things got stale under Pekerman for Colombia. I'm happy I was wrong and I hope he stays because I get the feeling a lot of our players are systematic. I just hope he brings in new younger footballers into the team so we don't have to worry about "the next generation" in the sense that Chile did.

To be honest, I'm glad we lost against Brazil as opposed to someone like Chile or Argentina. I went into this game fully expecting to lose, because beating Brazil in their own home for any South American is just not that realistic. It's extremely difficult and only teams like Germany or France can do it. 

Obviously I wanted to win the final, but just that we lost to one of the best home teams in the world doesn't make me as gutted as I normally would be. That is also helped by the fact that reaching the finals was a big achievement and another record shattered by Gareca.

13 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

True, people do seem to think that Messi is a saint, although the opposite can be said when it comes to performances. If Ronaldo has a poor game, but one of his team mates wins the game(i.e Ramos, Eder and recently Guedes) he gains all the plaudits while the player deciding the game receives little. The opposite occurs with Messi though. He can be Argentina's best player as they reach a world cup final and still be heavily criticised, while Ronaldo's team went out in the groups of the same tournament and he received none. C.Ronaldo may get lambasted more for being a cunt, but he only has to simply score a header in a game to be wanked over in the media worldwide, whereas Messi has to do something magical to gain plaudits.

But fuck all that as it starts to sound like a fanboy argument.

Like this...

Doesn't make the British back pages does it. But I don’t want to get into this bullshit that many hold themselves as holy on not entering the fanboy debate on Messi v Cristiano but have used it to try and criticise Messi. 

A very latin gesture understood in Spanish, Portuguese and Italian speaking countries.

1 minute ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Messi is such a sore loser xD 

Sebastian Perez and Farid Diaz said it best ;) 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived