Sign in to follow this  
Stan

Tuesday 18th April - Leicester City (1) 1-1 (2) Atletico Madrid

Recommended Posts

Toony    95

Leicester were very good tonight, they've held their own over two legs against one of the best teams in the world. If I supported them I'd be very proud tonight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cannabis    2,312

To be fair, I was looking forward to a good old chuckle when Leicester drew Sevilla as I genuinely thought they'd be pummelled about 8-0 over both legs. They've held their own throughout the whole competition and whereas this era in the clubs history has come to an end they can hold their heads high. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kowabunga    194

Leixit it is.

They've pulled quite an effort. Admirable giving the lack of maneuverability they left themselves after an awful display in Madrid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mel81x    254

Think the game was really over with the first goal but credit to Leicester for getting a goal in and showing that they could get at Atleti. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SirBalon    1,679

Simeone getting away with a first leg at home without conceding is ignoring the second leg.  I know Leicester fans won't care for this next comment because they'll want to big up a kind of fight back, but Atleti toyed with the game after they scored the away goal.  They could've played it a whole lot different and gone for a big result.  The thing is that Diego Pablo Simeone is a pragmatist and only cares for doing what's needed which you can see on the touchline if you take notice.

All the same Leicester City fans can feel proud of what they've done.  In their first and only season to date in this tournament, they've given off an impression that will be remembered considering their resources and their stature.  This is what football is about and it's to be respected!  Aside from what occurred with Ranieri being pushed out (mine and many's opinion), the players have done the club proud...  Infact part of this is adventure in the Champions League is down to the now gone Premier League coach that took them to glory.  His work took them through a group to win it and than score an away goal in a game they were getting murdered in which gave the opportunity for what was achieved against Sevilla and an eventual quarter-final game against a side that's been in 3 of the last 4 semi-finals and 2 of the last 4 finals in this tournament.  That's some going and on the singular law of averages beats two decades of a rotten and rancid frenchaman in London...  Oops...  Was I being rancid myself in that last bit?  Maybe, but I don't give a damn.

Well done Leicester and I only hope Atlético Madrid don't get done by the utter scum that lives within their city again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dan    629

Cannot knock them at all after that. I'm not usually one of these to bleed positives out of a defeat but we played excellently in that second half. Gave them a far bigger run for their money than most expected.

There's no shame in losing to them over two legs. They would beat anyone in this country over two legs without a shadow of a doubt. Probably the best two leg team in the world.

Well done to Atletico. Would like to see them go all the way.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SirBalon    1,679
22 minutes ago, Dan said:

Cannot knock them at all after that. I'm not usually one of these to bleed positives out of a defeat but we played excellently in that second half. Gave them a far bigger run for their money than most expected.

There's no shame in losing to them over two legs. They would beat anyone in this country over two legs without a shadow of a doubt. Probably the best two leg team in the world.

Well done to Atletico. Would like to see them go all the way.

For me Leicester City gave Atlético Madrid one of the hardest games in quite a number of years in Europe.  Like I said, the players can feel proud although I can appreciate that right now they won't give a damn about the fact they've over achieved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dan    629
5 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

For me Leicester City gave Atlético Madrid one of the hardest games in quite a number of years in Europe.  Like I said, the players can feel proud although I can appreciate that right now they won't give a damn about the fact they've over achieved.

Precisely the point. We have made probably the best team on the planet over two legs worry.

People giving us stick after tonight are idiots. Yes we've lost, but we have massively over-achieved.

I'm quite hopeful going forward about Leicester. I'm convinced we've got the right man in charge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SirBalon    1,679
1 minute ago, Dan said:

Precisely the point. We have made probably the best team on the planet over two legs worry.

People giving us stick after tonight are idiots. Yes we've lost, but we have massively over-achieved.

I'm quite hopeful going forward about Leicester. I'm convinced we've got the right man in charge.

Anyone giving Leicester City stick within the whole context of what they've achieved is an idiot and everything that's wrong with football these days.  It's glory hunters and non understanders of this sport that take all the merit out of something we love because they're the growing entity in all of this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They backstab/fire a coach that led them to a once in a life time team (a bottom feeder team) and they have the right man now, a fucking nobody/caretaker that manage to climb them a few spots above relegation and avoided(more like Atletico toyed around/didnt want to risk an injury ((like morgan)) and all of the suddenly they have the RIGHT man xD OMFG are you serious, wait till Ranieri's good work wears out (when yall get relegated next season) and see if that fucking caretaker was the right choice. Ranieri deserves better than this ungrateful bunch xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LFCMadLad    768
12 minutes ago, Teso Dos Bichos said:

They backstab/fire a coach that led them to a once in a life time team (a bottom feeder team) and they have the right man now, a fucking nobody/caretaker that manage to climb them a few spots above relegation and avoided(more like Atletico toyed around/didnt want to risk an injury ((like morgan)) and all of the suddenly they have the RIGHT man xD OMFG are you serious, wait till Ranieri's good work wears out (when yall get relegated next season) and see if that fucking caretaker was the right choice. Ranieri deserves better than this ungrateful bunch xD

Oh why don't you just fuck off back into the obortion bucket you crawled out of. 

For crying out loud. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stan    2,887

Immensely proud of my club tonight. 

Took Atletico pretty much all the way and who knows what would have happened if we snuck in one of those chances while we were on top to make it 2-1. Great entertainment and its been a great battle over the 2 legs with Atletico. 

I gave Simeone a lot of shit after the first leg. But fair play to him. Could have gone straight to the Atletico fans to applaud them but instead went to each of our players and subs and shook their hand. He is ultra passionate on the touch line and I take back some of the crap I gave him last week. 

We pushed Atletico further than most teams with better players and bigger budgets can. And for that I am so proud. 

Atmosphere was immense as expected, as well. 

IMG_20170418_223954_182.jpg

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stan    2,887

Forgot to say that I hope Atletico go on to meet Juve in the final if it becomes possible. Reckon it'll be a brilliant final. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dan    629

On one hand, you've got Diego Simeone, possibly the best manager in the world, talking very highly of Leicester and a lot of our players. Diego Godin praising Vardy as one of the best forwards in the world.

On another, you've got a Mexican Man Utd 'fan' who hates everything about Leicester due to some weird inferiority complex because he knows he couldn't ever get the joy from football I've gotten.

Who do you go with? It's a tricky one.

Edited by Dan
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dan    629
6 minutes ago, Tanksie said:

I thought Simeone was an evil disrespectful snake?

Is that aimed at me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dan    629
9 minutes ago, Tanksie said:

Yeah, not sure you said it but Leicester fans in general weren't his biggest fans after the first leg

Definite error there. I think he's the best manager in the world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cicero    1,573

Can't be the best team on the planet if you are not even the best in your country. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Blue    694
4 hours ago, Cicero said:

Can't be the best team on the planet if you are not even the best in your country. 

He said best 2 legged team, which may be right. Comparing a league to a knockout cup is unfair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dan    629
4 hours ago, Cicero said:

Can't be the best team on the planet if you are not even the best in your country. 

I said best team over two legs. There's an art to it and they are the masters. They will make the final no matter who they draw. It's just the final I'm not sure about for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harvsky    1,907

Leicester had more possession and shots against Atletico Madrid than they did against Sunderland.

Spanish teams are dross :219_fisherman_fishing_at_a_lake:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The same team that allowed Las Palmas to score 3 goals in the second leg of copa del rey??? xDxDxD okay haha. las palmas gave them a better effort than the mighty champions of England xDxDxD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Toony    95

I like Atletico and Simeone but I'm not sure they'll go on and win it this year although I think it's only a matter of time before they do.

I'd like to see Juve win it personally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harvsky    1,907
3 minutes ago, Teso Dos Bichos said:

The same team that allowed Las Palmas to score 3 goals in the second leg of copa del rey??? xDxDxD okay haha. las palmas gave them a better effort than the mighty champions of England xDxDxD

Copa Del Rey? I liked that summertime sadness song she did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SirBalon    1,679

Yeah...  One league title every ten years these days is great...  Might be two every decade this year though with a little more propulsion power from the powers that be. :whistling:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dan    629

Can't wait for Teso to claim Man Utd did better in Europe than us this year when they beat Anderlecht 1-0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stan    2,887
11 minutes ago, Dan said:

Can't wait for Teso to claim Man Utd did better in Europe than us this year when they beat Anderlecht 1-0

yeah but who had more shots and possession and interceptions and tackles and dab celebrations?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Stan said:

Immensely proud of my club tonight. 

Took Atletico pretty much all the way and who knows what would have happened if we snuck in one of those chances while we were on top to make it 2-1. Great entertainment and its been a great battle over the 2 legs with Atletico. 

I gave Simeone a lot of shit after the first leg. But fair play to him. Could have gone straight to the Atletico fans to applaud them but instead went to each of our players and subs and shook their hand. He is ultra passionate on the touch line and I take back some of the crap I gave him last week. 

We pushed Atletico further than most teams with better players and bigger budgets can. And for that I am so proud. 

Atmosphere was immense as expected, as well. 

IMG_20170418_223954_182.jpg

 

You were excellent in the first half and I had a feeling you were gona come back as Atletico seemed rattled in the first 20 mins or so especially of that second half(after looking quite comfortable for the rest of the tie) and they gave Atletico one of the toughest games they have had in the Champions league since Simeone.

Leicester fans should be proud of their run this year as they have gotten through their group with ease, beaten a strong Sevilla side then took the masters of the 2 legged tie to the death which isn't easy.

Godin is a beast by the way. I've always rated him since his Villarreal days, despite being prone to mistakes in his younger days, but in the last 5 or so years he has gone on to become the best defender in Spain and one of the best in the world. I'd place him above the likes of Pique and Ramos without a doubt.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stan    2,887

Godin was sensational. Not seen a performance like that in a while and probably the best I've seen at the King Power. Ridiculously dominant in the air and well up to the physical challenge as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dan    629
3 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

You were excellent in the first half and I had a feeling you were gona come back as Atletico seemed rattled in the first 20 mins or so especially of that second half(after looking quite comfortable for the rest of the tie) and they gave Atletico one of the toughest games they have had in the Champions league since Simeone.

Leicester fans should be proud of their run this year as they have gotten through their group with ease, beaten a strong Sevilla side then took the masters of the 2 legged tie to the death which isn't easy.

Godin is a beast by the way. I've always rated him since his Villarreal days, despite being prone to mistakes in his younger days, but in the last 5 or so years he has gone on to become the best defender in Spain and one of the best in the world. I'd place him above the likes of Pique and Ramos without a doubt.

 

When we equalised I got that feeling again, that feeling of 'we can demolish anyone in our way' but Atletico held off, and many have failed in that position.

We earned the respect of the man I believe to be the best manager in the world. I'd have taken that if offered it in the summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SirBalon    1,679

I think Leicester have proved that they still have it to be competitive against anyone or at least that they can give anyone a game.  That is something to build on and again Leicester have the same questions set before them this summer in managing to maintain their assets in terms of their best players and being astute in the transfer market to bolster the squad.  Playing in the Champions League is always difficult, but it's even harder when it's your first attempt...  That is the most commendable thing about anything they've managed for me personally, even more than winning the Premier League.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dan    629
8 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I think Leicester have proved that they still have it to be competitive against anyone or at least that they can give anyone a game.  That is something to build on and again Leicester have the same questions set before them this summer in managing to maintain their assets in terms of their best players and being astute in the transfer market to bolster the squad.  Playing in the Champions League is always difficult, but it's even harder when it's your first attempt...  That is the most commendable thing about anything they've managed for me personally, even more than winning the Premier League.

This for me as well. I'm amazed some people are criticising us. Atletico do this to anyone (and what a mug I was for saying I wanted them).

It surprises me how unfased we seem by everything. A team of misfits with a manager who's playing career was largely made up at Walsall, West Brom and Grimsby, and managerial career a caretaker at West Brom and an assistant at Hull and Leicester. I thought he showed genuine nous last night. I want him given it permanently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HK85    267
11 minutes ago, Dan said:

It surprises me how unfased we seem by everything. A team of misfits with a manager who's playing career was largely made up at Walsall, West Brom and Grimsby, and managerial career a caretaker at West Brom and an assistant at Hull and Leicester. I thought he showed genuine nous last night. I want him given it permanently.

Not sure I agree with the nous bit. It wasn't working so the big man came on and started to hit it long. That's just your classic British tactics people think foreign teams crumble under. 

He definitely should be given it permanently. Drastic difference between the team we played on Boxing Day and the one at Goodison.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dan    629
23 minutes ago, HK85 said:

Not sure I agree with the nous bit. It wasn't working so the big man came on and started to hit it long. That's just your classic British tactics people think foreign teams crumble under. 

He definitely should be given it permanently. Drastic difference between the team we played on Boxing Day and the one at Goodison.  

 

Have you seen the stats from the second half? There was no doubt in my mind things improved at half time. A complete change in shape and yes, while the big man was used, I was impressed by how much we hurt them down the wings.

I do agree with your second point although thought we weren't very good last weekend either, but understandable given the changes. The boxing day display was a horror show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.