talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Police After Chelsea Fans Following Alleged Sexual Assaults & Racist Chanting

Police allege Chelsea fans sexually assaulted women and made racist chants on train

Police are trying to trace a group of men, whom they believe to be Chelsea fans, in connection with alleged sexual assaults and racist chanting on a train.

The incidents are alleged to have taken place on 22 December, after Chelsea’s home defeat by Leicester, on a train travelling from London to Worcester.

British Transport Police said in a statement: “A group of around 20 football fans boarded the 6.22pm Great Western Service from London Paddington and began to chant racially abusive comments in front of families and children.

“They were also seen to sexually assault a number of women on board the train. It is believed they were Chelsea fans. The group, who were all men, left the train at Worcester.

“Officers are appealing for anyone who witnessed what happened to get in touch so they can assist the investigation. In particular, they believe a number of women who were sexually assaulted are yet to come forward and they would like to encourage them to do so.”

In December Chelsea vowed not to rest “until we have eliminated all forms of discrimination from our club” after incidents including fans singing an antisemitic chant at a Europa League match and alleged racist abuse of Raheem Sterling by supporters.

Three Chelsea supporters were spoken to by police after officers received reports of antisemitic chanting on a train carrying fans after the club’s game at Brighton in December.

Eden Hazard and Maurizio Sarri have urged Chelsea fans not to step out of line at Tuesday’s Carabao Cup semi-final 1st leg against Tottenham at Wembley.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jan/08/police-chelsea-sexual-assault-racist-chants-train

• The title was changed to Police After Chelsea Fans Following Alleged Sexual Assaults & Racist Chanting
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Eden Hazard and Maurizio Sarri have urged Chelsea fans not to step out of line at Tuesday’s Carabao Cup semi-final 1st leg against Tottenham at Wembley.

Pathetic it's come to this. 

• Subscriber

Why is this anything to do with Chelsea? I mean I know football fans are a pack of cunts a lot of the time but this happened outside the stadium. If these were some bellends leaving a cricket or rugby match, the headline wouldn't be "Police after Leeds Rhinos fans for sexual assault", it would just be "Police after two men in mid-20s following train incident". I have no sympathy for football fans who act out but there's no need for the police or the media to link them to Chelsea unless it actually happened at Stamford Bridge. I'd wager that if there wasn't recent history with Chelsea, or these were Fulham fans instead, the club wouldn't have been brought into it at all.

38 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Why is this anything to do with Chelsea? I mean I know football fans are a pack of cunts a lot of the time but this happened outside the stadium. If these were some bellends leaving a cricket or rugby match, the headline wouldn't be "Police after Leeds Rhinos fans for sexual assault", it would just be "Police after two men in mid-20s following train incident". I have no sympathy for football fans who act out but there's no need for the police or the media to link them to Chelsea unless it actually happened at Stamford Bridge. I'd wager that if there wasn't recent history with Chelsea, or these were Fulham fans instead, the club wouldn't have been brought into it at all.

Do you think it is mainly because the newspapers know it's an easy target to settle for? It always seems to be that way, everything is hooliganism or whatever.

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, Spike said:

Do you think it is mainly because the newspapers know it's an easy target to settle for? It always seems to be that way, everything is hooliganism or whatever.

I do think that, but I also think it's become a sort of subconscious thing. Football fans are a popular target, and Chelsea in particular. Usually there's no defence and it's justified but in this case I don't see why they have to bring the club's name into it. I don't think it's fully deliberate but it is one of those things.

3 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I do think that, but I also think it's become a sort of subconscious thing. Football fans are a popular target, and Chelsea in particular. Usually there's no defence and it's justified but in this case I don't see why they have to bring the club's name into it. I don't think it's fully deliberate but it is one of those things.

I just don't understand how it is relevant to some stories? Just imagine 'Arsenal supporter Osama bin Laden found and killed by FBI'.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Spike said:

I just don't understand how it is relevant to some stories? Just imagine 'Arsenal supporter Osama bin Laden found and killed by FBI'.

Yeah obviously an extreme example but I see what you're saying. I think if I went out tonight wearing an Everton shirt and smashed a few shop windows with a crowbar, the police wouldn't be looking for "Everton fan caught vandalising high street on CCTV".

Do you two sieve through police appeals on a daily basis to see if you might have been witness to anything reported? :ph34r:

If not what's the big deal with the police using "Chelsea fans" to get their appeal bumped up from a side article in a local paper to national circulation? Particularly when it concerns a train service that extends through numerous local paper jurisdictions.

2 hours ago, Harvsky said:

Do you two sieve through police appeals on a daily basis to see if you might have been witness to anything reported? :ph34r:

If not what's the big deal with the police using "Chelsea fans" to get their appeal bumped up from a side article in a local paper to national circulation? Particularly when it concerns a train service that extends through numerous local paper jurisdictions.

I don't know, because it's a minute detail that changes nothing about the crime? I just find it odd that an arbitrary detail is included that isn't even confirmed. 'The suspect may have been wearing le coq sportiff sneakers, but we don't know'.

11 hours ago, Spike said:

I don't know, because it's a minute detail that changes nothing about the crime? I just find it odd that an arbitrary detail is included that isn't even confirmed. 'The suspect may have been wearing le coq sportiff sneakers, but we don't know'.

I don't recall what time I was on a train a month ago off the top of my head, but I would better recall if I was asked if I was on a train with 20 Chelsea fans. It's a defining characteristic, trainers are not.

16 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

18 hours ago, 6666 said:

Police are trying to trace a group of men, whom they believe to be Chelsea fans

I get what Rando is saying, if this had been a bunch of rowdy cricket fans behaving badly it would be 'a group of around 20 men are wanted in connection with..' rather than 'around 20 men believed to be supporters of the Surrey County Cricket team were involved in.. ' type of thing.. but shit sticks, If your fans have a reputation for behaving badly then people will draw their own conclusions but if I was the defence I would be needing conclusive evidence it was indeed Chelsea supporters and not Leicester fans... those shirts look an awful lot alike for the commoner with no interest in football, easier to blame Chelsea for all the wrong doings in the country though than tarnishing the cat loving family image of another club.. :ph34r:

I imagine there are a certain type of Chelsea fan who relish this sort of thing, the attention and with the extra focus are playing up even more, deliberately singing Chelsea songs to identify themselves as Chelsea.

These things go through peaks and troughs, but other clubs who had racism issues in the past, Leeds and Everton, have managed to largely defeat that element. Everton fan groups did several campaigns against it during the 1990s, it's the fans who will defeat it, not the club.

Were they doing football chants before the racial abuse & sexual assaults? Is this a case of just a group of racists out and about being cunts in London getting associated with Chelsea because of their reputation & the uptick in racial shite from their fans? Or was it a group of football yobs that in their excitement devolved into being racist sex pests?

Archived