talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Nathan Jones Leaves Luton for Stoke

football forum

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11701/11602797/stoke-city-appoint-nathan-jones-as-manager-to-replace-gary-rowett

Interesting one this as no doubt the money offered by Stoke will be more than Luton could offer but with him doing so well at Luton and if they beat Wednesday in replay he could take Luton to Chelsea then there is planning permission decision over new ground soon that i'd have been tempted to stay and try get promotion into Championship.

Not easy though if money offered is potentially life changing for your family.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah the romantic in me would love for him to stay at Luton as he's done so well and they have a good chance of being in the championship next season, as you rightly point out though, these guys in the football league aren't multi millionaires. He's probably tripled his salary and even if it goes tits up the compensation will be life changing.

Glad they’ve gone against the grain of pulling some decreped dinosaur from the managerial merry-go-round like your Pardew’s, Allardyce’s etc and have gone for an up and coming Manager. 

Barring their last two appointments, Lambert and Rowett, they’ve given a fair amount of time to their managers. Tony Pulis got seven years, admittedly he had unprecedented success there, and Mark Hughes got five years and you could make a case that was a year, maybe two, too long. To put a positive spin on their last two appointments, they acted quick to get rid of Lambert and Rowett, who were both failing. 

It's a massive shame imo. Good for Stoke, not so much for Luton mind.

He has been there for over 3 years, taking the club from one threatened with relegation to the conference, to 2nd in League One and a great shout of promotion to the Championship.

He's transformed the team, playing positive football, scoring bags of goals for fun and now he leaves for Stoke City, hardly a football powerhouse.

Either the money is a huge factor given he's going from a 300k salary to a £2m one. Or the fact they have such better resources that he feels it's the best opportunity he could potentially get. Totally understand that everyone has a right to test themselves at a higher level and he may feel like its too good to turn down, but you can't help but feel he had more of the story to write with Luton.

I just feel sad for Luton really because they have been on a roll the last couple years and I've been impressed with how well they have done this season after a tough start.

Massive shoes to fill from a Luton perspective, I hope they don't crumble and fall away after all that hard work.

Even more interesting to see how Jones handles life at Stoke working with higher quality players. I hooe he get's a fair crack there because they are on their 4th manager in little over a year now and if they chew him and spit him out come May, he'll become tainted goods.

• The title was changed to Nathan Jones Leaves Luton for Stoke
  • Administrator

Ah, I really hope this doesn't disjoint Luton's promotion bid. Glad Stoke haven't gone for the old rinse and repeat manager who constantly get jobs despite being fairly shite.

Good luck to him, though. 

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

Ah, I really hope this doesn't disjoint Luton's promotion bid. Glad Sheff Utd haven't gone for the old rinse and repeat manager who constantly get jobs despite being fairly shite.

Good luck to him, though. 

I thought Chris Wilder was doing a good job...

A very interesting appointment which I didn't see coming from Stoke. They have all the hallmarks of a PL side that could sink like a stone - a lot of players there on long, lucrative contracts with almost zero resale value and arguably no fight to play in a league 'below' them. See: Sunderland. 

Will be a big challenge for the new manager - a total shift from the siege mentality he appears to have made (positively, of course) at Luton. As has been said, it is a shame he hasn't chosen to carry on the Luton story to the Championship. Hope this isn't a decision which will haunt him.

Archived