talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Football League 2018/19 - 11-12th January, 2019

football forum

Thank the good lord Jesus Christ, we’ve won another game of football. I know it’s Stoke, who just sacked Rowett, but sounds like we battered them. After draws against Norwich and Brum where we were disappointed not to beat both, it’s good finally getting results.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Awful, they look tired and lost

Seems you're on one with Smith's dry spells, they come and go each season. But with us when we were on form we could match anyside in the division, so if you can get back in the play offs then I'd fancy you to do well.

40 minutes ago, BounceAroundTheGround said:

You were pretty terrible tbf. Diedhiou could've scored 4 and you offered next to nothing going forward

There hasn't been a game this season where the same can't have applied. This side is so poor, managed by a man who sadly doesn't have a clue. 

If you’ve ever stood in front of a full length mirror and watched your reflection copy your every move, you’ll understand the game of Football I watched yesterday at The Hawthorns. 

Both West Brom and Norwich have very similar ‘problems’. I say problems but both are doing well, so it’s hardly a major problem but still, neither can defend and when one attacked the other’s defence looked all at sea and lacked organisation. 

West Brom were the better side for 70 minutes and could and should have seen the game off but Norwich didn’t give up, looked the fitter side as the game ended and controlled the last twenty. 

Dwight Gayle scores from a quality Mason Holgate cross. I thought Holgate looked very good going forward, less so in his defensive duties. I’ve always wondered what the point of Hal Robson-Kanu was but he put in a superb performance yesterday in the target man role and the ball seemed to stick to him wherever on his body it was played to. Gareth Barry deserves a mention as well, he looked quality. 

Norwich’s goal was a carbon copy of West Brom’s, a cross from the right tapped in at the near post two subs, Kenny McLean and Jordan Rhodes, combining.

For Norwich, Tim Krul was wonderful at playing “Your teammates are lava”. His distribution was appalling and the passing out from the back from Norwich at goal kicks was redundant at times. Teemu Pukki was disappointing, for someone who’s scored as many as him, he didn’t seem to be involved at all, an off day perhaps. Marko Vrancic was very good on the ball, almost effortless at times. 

I think the timing of Norwich’s subs compared with West Brom’s was pivotal in the end. A sign of Darren Moore’s inexperience, perhaps. 

Good game though. Enjoyed it a lot. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Dwight Gayle scores from a quality Mason Holgate cross. I thought Holgate looked very good going forward, less so in his defensive duties.

Holgate has looked moreorless good enough for us in the Premier League often enough, so really he should be enjoying the Championship fairly comfortably. I still think he's seen as  centre back in the long run, but when played at right back, he's always looked decent going forward but lacks the traditional wing back attributes really to be effective in that position at both ends. I'd rather he was playing centrally on loan down there and hopefully he doesn't make a habit of looking suspect defensively against Championship opposition. 

23 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

You were linked with him but Spurs seem to be keen, if he does go I'd hope we could come to an arrangement to keep him until the end of the season. He's not proven at Premier League level and even though he'd only be back up to begin with, being in a Premier League title challenging setup could be too much pressure. On the other hand it could be the absolute making of him, he is a very good player and after I doubted Robertson's ability to perform at the very top level I am not going to say it about another player.

I did read that we were interested but never took it seriously. You would ask silly money for him and rightly so, we just wouldnt have the funds.

But he is exactly the kind of player who would fit our system like a jigsaw puzzle. So i can see why we'd look at him.

3 hours ago, BounceAroundTheGround said:

In fairness to your manager, I doubt he or his player have received a week's wage for the last 9 months.

They get paid... eventually...

That's not an excuse sadly. There is a complete lack of tactical nous - and when they stumble on something that works (like a left footed winger playing on the left, shock)... it gets binned off by the tactical bingo machine.

On 13/01/2019 at 09:08, Danny said:

Seems you're on one with Smith's dry spells, they come and go each season. But with us when we were on form we could match anyside in the division, so if you can get back in the play offs then I'd fancy you to do well.

In fairness to Smith, Grealish going has meant we don’t retain possession and they’ve abandoned his principles and have reverted to type. 

Where Smith is culpable is that Chester isn’t a captain and badly needs a rest, he’s bottled it in not benching him

• The topic was unpinned

Archived