The better place to talk football.

Other Matches - Saturday 12th January, 2019

football forum

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

4 of the bottom 5 playing each other.

Huddersfield really need a win. Even a draw doesn't really help them much.

Burnley and Cardiff win and they start to properly pull away from 19th/20th at least. Bonus if they win their home games and we beat Southampton.

2 or 3-0 Liverpool. Their front 3 will have far to much for Brighton I hope Klopp picks that 16 year old centre back alongside Virgil with Fabinho and Gini in midfield. Shaq Mane and Firmino the 3 behind Salah. If they do that I think they will win and convincingly to.

Huddersfield are desperate for a win they cannot buy a goal never mind a win at present. With Cardiffs home form being decent I see them winning a scrappy match 1-0. Huddersfield are down for me I cannot see them staying up even at this stage.

Burnley have improved lately I see them winning 1-0 and Leicester winning 1-0 to. 1-1 I think it'll be between Palace and Watford. Palace have to be more clinical especially at home they ate creating but missing lots of  chances.

• Subscriber

This is exactly the kind of game we ought to really win, but I bet we don't. I think it's more likely we win at Wolves next week. We are that chronically bad against defensive sides that I can barely get excited for this. Probably doesn't help that this fixture has ended goalless three times on the spin.

• Administrator
32 minutes ago, Dan said:

Barnes back!!! Not sure he'll start tomorrow though.

I think he'll be on the bench but if he is starting I'd line up like:

Schmeichel

Pereira - Maguire - Morgan - Chiwell

Choudhury - Mendy

Albrighton - Maddison - Barnes

Vardy

It's not like he won't be match fit but I'm guessing he may need to get used to how we play. It'd be pointless bringing him back to have him constantly on the bench. It may perk Gray up a bit as well to realise he has to start contributing more with goals/assists.

Benefit of that line-up above is that it gives us different options already - Ndidi hasn't played too good or too bad but no harm in resting him for Hamza. And if necessary we can bring Simpson on for Barnes, shift Albrighton to the left and stick Pereira further up the field where he seems to flourish. 

Amazing how one more attacking player, on paper, can make such a difference xD. It'll be like a new signing to be honest. Just need another striker now, or 2 if Okazaki leaves.

• Subscriber
59 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I think that's quite good news. If we can get through the next two games without any kind of drop and have VVD and Matip running the pair at the back we should be able to weather the storm in time for Joe to come back to the fold.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Stan said:

I think he'll be on the bench but if he is starting I'd line up like:

Schmeichel

Pereira - Maguire - Morgan - Chiwell

Choudhury - Mendy

Albrighton - Maddison - Barnes

Vardy

It's not like he won't be match fit but I'm guessing he may need to get used to how we play. It'd be pointless bringing him back to have him constantly on the bench. It may perk Gray up a bit as well to realise he has to start contributing more with goals/assists.

Benefit of that line-up above is that it gives us different options already - Ndidi hasn't played too good or too bad but no harm in resting him for Hamza. And if necessary we can bring Simpson on for Barnes, shift Albrighton to the left and stick Pereira further up the field where he seems to flourish. 

Amazing how one more attacking player, on paper, can make such a difference xD. It'll be like a new signing to be honest. Just need another striker now, or 2 if Okazaki leaves.

I'd probably try similar originally as 4-2-3-1 might be a different proposition with Barnes in it, although I'd still consider going 4-3-3 and maybe dropping Mendy behind Choudhury and Maddison.

That side as well contains three academy graduates which is something I'd be proud of. Something we've not been good at for years up until the last couple.

4 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Is Lallana going to stick around or is he going to end up going the way of Danny Ings. Good player to have around on paper but I can barely remember him playing for about 18 months.

Sounds like Klopp is happy to keep him around for the time being. I can't see him being here beyond the summer though

3 hours ago, Dan said:

Southampton missing Ings, Austin, Bertrand and Hobjberg tomorrow. Really is beyond parody if we fuck up what should be yet another bread and butter home game.

Shane Long's first goal of the season incoming then? xD

I'm going to be interested to see if Troy Deeney's recent comments affect the referees decision making process this weekend and allow Watford to get away with more than what they already get away with. It will be a shame if he does as Watford are by the far the worst team in the league when it comes to elbows and late tackles.

Other than that, we've won three of our last four home games 1-0, we have also won our last two encounters at home to Watford 1-0, so that's where the smart money is at 13/2.

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

Two Fulham own goals in 3 minutes.   That has to be some sort of record.

So I went looking to see if it was a record and found this.

Assists[edit]

Players currently playing in the Premier League are highlighted in bold.

Most assists (career)
Rank Player Assists
1 Wales Ryan Giggs 162
2 Spain Cesc Fàbregas 111
3 England Wayne Rooney 103
4 England Frank Lampard 102
5 Netherlands Dennis Bergkamp 94
6 England Steven Gerrard 92
7 England David Beckham 80
England James Milner
9 Spain David Silva 77
10 England Teddy Sheringham 76