talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chelsea 2-1 Newcastle - Saturday 12th January, 2019

football forum

20 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I know what he means but Ashley has always been like that even when he had no intention of selling

Nah, he's talking absolute bollocks here. I think he normally comes across well on BT too.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Nah, he's talking absolute bollocks here. I think he normally comes across well on BT too.

Yeah I rate him normally. Although he's not gonna criticize someone who makes him money to be fair. I agree that of you are gonna sell a club you are not gonna invest heavily but as I said Ashley has always been like that even when he wasn't planning on selling

52 minutes ago, Cicero said:

The sad thing is you just know this goal will pull the wool over people's eyes. And by people I mean our board. 

2nd goal in 17 games. Same league goals as Kante. 

Joe Cole seems to rate him

• The title was changed to Chelsea 2-1 Newcastle - Saturday 12th January, 2019
3 hours ago, Cicero said:

The sad thing is you just know this goal will pull the wool over people's eyes. And by people I mean our board. 

2nd goal in 17 games. Same league goals as Kante. 

You could say Conte's title win pulled wool over people's eyes as well.

Anyway, some better movement in and behind today which I believe is something we've lacked for a few years now. Everyone normally always wants the ball to feet. Pedro adds some variation to our play in that regard and that's why I believe he complements Hazard a lot better as well.

Chelsea just about deserved it. They got off to a flier scored then dominated the game with plenty of possession but they weren't creating chances. 

Then in the last 20 minutes of the half we started to boss it. Lejeurne had a decent volley easily saved Perez missed a great chance Rondon screwed one wide and Clark got a deserved equaliser. I thought they were there for the taking at that point defensively especially the 2 centre backs they looked a mess. Half  time came at a good time for them.

They started the 2nd half well scored a brilliant goal had a few other chances. Controlled most of the 2nd half but towards the end we put them under a little pressure Rondon missed a header good effort by Newcastle especially missing Diame Ki and Shelvey. I think we will just about have enough to stay up. Great winning goal from Willian what a strike.

3 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

I really can't be arsed with Newcastle getting relegated again. Hopefully it's Burnley and someone like Southampton who goes down with Huddersfield.

I don't think we will I think with rafa we will grind enough 1-0 wins over average or sides towards the bottom. We aren't cut adrift I'm not worried a long way to go we were In the bottom 3 in February last season then we beat Manchester United and won 4 on the bounce we ended up 10th close to 8th we have no chance of 10th obviously this season but 15th or 16th I think we will be. Cardiff Huddersfield and Fulham to go down. 

3 hours ago, Spike said:

Unreal how rough Chelsea look while defending. Though I do suppose that Newcastle practiced their set pieces for this game. I also am sick of Willian. How can he be so elite at everything except when it counts? He will make an amazing run and dribble and then miss an open net.

It was a basic set piece a cross which should be headed clear and wasn't bullet header from Clark. That corner did not need much practising. Chelsea have been poor at defending all season sometimes they get away with it with missed chances look at their home game with Arsenal they won 3-2 yet Arsenal missed 2 or 3 sitters Spurs scored 3 against them could have had 5 or 6. United under Jose went their and scored twice. With Rudiger and Luiz you will also get chances. Jorginho is no defensive midfielder they should obviously play Kante there.

21 minutes ago, Kyletoonfan said:

It was a basic set piece a cross which should be headed clear and wasn't bullet header from Clark. That corner did not need much practising. Chelsea have been poor at defending all season sometimes they get away with it with missed chances look at their home game with Arsenal they won 3-2 yet Arsenal missed 2 or 3 sitters Spurs scored 3 against them could have had 5 or 6. United under Jose went their and scored twice. With Rudiger and Luiz you will also get chances. Jorginho is no defensive midfielder they should obviously play Kante there.

Kante isn't just a defensive midfielder either. He is very dynamic, and doesn't really 'hold position' like a nomal defensive midfielder. To me he is like Michael Essien, in the sense that they are both amazing at defending but don't necessarily limit themselves to simply that, unlike Jon Obi Mikel, Didier Deschamps, in the ol' 'water carrier' role. Besides there are different defensive midfielders all across the sport. Xabi Alonso and Sergio Busquets are both defensive midfielders but they play differently to Kante, just like all three played differently to Mascherano, or Cambiasso.

So what is so obvious about it? Kante would be playing the same as he would be reggardless of playing at 'DM' or not, as would Jorginho. I think the sport is a lot less rigid than simply swapping spots on the team sheet.

• The topic was unpinned
1 minute ago, Spike said:

Kante isn't just a defensive midfielder either. He is very dynamic, and doesn't really 'hold position' like a nomal defensive midfielder. To me he is like Michael Essien, in the sense that they are both amazing at defending but don't necessarily limit themselves to simply that, unlike Jon Obi Mikel, Didier Deschamps, in the ol' 'water carrier' role. Besides there are different defensive midfielders all across the sport. Xabi Alonso and Sergio Busquets are both defensive midfielders but they play differently to Kante, just like all three played differently to Mascherano, or Cambiasso.

So what is so obvious about it? Kante would be playing the same as he would be reggardless of playing at 'DM' or not, as would Jorginho. I think the sport is a lot less rigid than simply swapping spots on the team sheet.

Fair call though I do think he is more likely to make tackles and interceptions than Jorginho he would do a better job if he was further back. However neither are like Makalele he is the brilliant holding midfielder. I'm glad Giroud never came on as he normally causes a lot of problems for Newcastle unfortunately Willlian was clinical with that great finish. Great effort though considering we were missing Diame Shelvey and Ki and with a centre midfield of Hayden and Longstaff. The biggest problem for Sarri and Chelsea he is to stubborn he only has one way of playing he is not flexible he always goes like for like with substitutions.

45 minutes ago, Kyletoonfan said:

Fair call though I do think he is more likely to make tackles and interceptions than Jorginho he would do a better job if he was further back. However neither are like Makalele he is the brilliant holding midfielder. I'm glad Giroud never came on as he normally causes a lot of problems for Newcastle unfortunately Willlian was clinical with that great finish. Great effort though considering we were missing Diame Shelvey and Ki and with a centre midfield of Hayden and Longstaff. The biggest problem for Sarri and Chelsea he is to stubborn he only has one way of playing he is not flexible he always goes like for like with substitutions.

An inverted triangle would probably be better. With both Kante and Jorginho being deeper, with Barkley/Kovacic/Cheek, playing further foward. Kinda like Spain in 2010.

1 minute ago, Spike said:

An inverted triangle would probably be better. With both Kante and Jorginho being deeper, with Barkley/Kovacic/Cheek, playing further foward. Kinda like Spain in 2010.

Are you saying you would take away 1 or 2 attackers to accommodate the Chelsea midfield. I wish I could say Perez should have had a pen and we were robbed 😀 unfortunately I cannot. He went down far to easily minimal contact never a penalty.

2 minutes ago, Kyletoonfan said:

Are you saying you would take away 1 or 2 attackers to accommodate the Chelsea midfield. I wish I could say Perez should have had a pen and we were robbed 😀 unfortunately I cannot. He went down far to easily minimal contact never a penalty.

Not that, but instead of the usual two CMs and one DM, reverse the midfield and have two DMs and one CM. That is how Spain played under del Bosque during their 2010 world cup victory. Xavi and Alonso would be the two deeper players with Iniesta or Fabregas being the advanced CM. It´d probably work considering how Sarri´s style philosphically similar to the Spaniard´s.

Though Sarri gets paid for these decisions and not I! 

Just now, Spike said:

Not that, but instead of the usual two CMs and one DM, reverse the midfield and have two DMs and one CM. That is how Spain played under del Bosque during their 2010 world cup victory. Xavi and Alonso would be the two deeper players with Iniesta or Fabregas being the advanced CM. It´d probably work considering how Sarri´s style philosphically similar to the Spaniard´s.

Though Sarri gets paid for these decisions and not I! 

Your right. You could do that or 4-2-3-1 with the 2 just in front of the back 4. I don't know why he persists with Hazard through the middle he has to play as a wing forward or as a number 10 he was onominous today not tat it's his fault he's out of position.

If we don't beat Cardiff next week we will be cut adrift in the bottom 3 at the full time whistle against Tottenham on February 2nd. That's where things are heading. Next week will have huge implications on our season. It could motivationally and mentally be the tide changing moment that keeps us up or takes us down.

As for this game, you can't ask for much when you field a midfield that would be lucky to avoid relegation in the Championship. I think if £35m wasn't taken out of the club and in total £63m held back from Rafa we might have reasonably been able to take Man Utd the other week and got a point at Chelsea. 

The crooked Rio Ferdinand at it again as well I see. Bent as fuck.

5 hours ago, Harvsky said:

If we don't beat Cardiff next week we will be cut adrift in the bottom 3 at the full time whistle against Tottenham on February 2nd. That's where things are heading. Next week will have huge implications on our season. It could motivationally and mentally be the tide changing moment that keeps us up or takes us down.

If we play like we did against Huddersfield yesterday, you'll piss on us easily. 

Rafa is shite as I've said before but it doesn't help him that he gets no support at all from Mike Ashley. Fair play to him for putting up with it. He can only be respected for that.

• Subscriber
21 minutes ago, Blue said:

Rafa is shite as I've said before but it doesn't help him that he gets no support at all from Mike Ashley. Fair play to him for putting up with it. He can only be respected for that.

Wait what?

28 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Wait what?

I don't rate Rafa. I don't think he's done badly at Newcastle but it also doesn't surprise me that they are battling the drop. I'm not convinced it is solely down to Ashley, although I'm not an expert.

fair play to him for putting up with it though.

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

Been nice knowing you mate. 

I'm not scared of Newcastle or Liverpool fans. If they want to disagree with me then so be it - I just don't think he's that good.

That said, I can see why he's loved there.

• Subscriber

Benitez probably isn't an elite manager anymore. The time of him, Mourinho, Ancelotti has passed somewhat. He's not shite though. Its just a case of you know what you're getting with him in the circumstances Newcastle find themselves in.

8 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Benitez probably isn't an elite manager anymore. The time of him, Mourinho, Ancelotti has passed somewhat. He's not shite though. Its just a case of you know what you're getting with him in the circumstances Newcastle find themselves in.

I am basing it off his Napoli and Real Madrid days, but you're probably right on the first sentence

Archived