talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Real Betis - Quique Setién Resigns

• Subscriber

Quique Setien: Could Real Betis boss be Spain’s next great manager?

By Andy West

Spanish football writer

Pepe Guardiola, Rafa Benitez, Mauricio Pochettino, Unai Emery... the list of high-achieving managers spawned by Spanish football is long and illustrious, and in the last decade, no fewer than 14 current Premier League teams have been led by a man whose formative years came in La Liga.

But the next great coach to emerge from Spain could well be someone you have not yet heard of: Quique Setien.

The Real Betis boss, who will this weekend attempt to topple faltering Real Madrid, has been earning plaudits not only for his team's results but also for his playing style.

Setien has already been linked with Barcelona, and he could soon be in demand from lots more big clubs.

But who is he, and why is he so highly rated?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46824169

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Emerson set for Spain

In-demand Brazilian right-back Emerson is set for a move to La Liga which would give Barcelona future rights to his services.

The Atletico Mineiro starlet, 20, has been a rumored target of Liverpool and Arsenal this transfer window as he looks for a move to Europe.

But according to Marca, he is set to finalize a move to join Real Betis as soon as he returns from representing Brazil in the 2019 South American Under 20 Championship.

The move is reportedly a joint transfer involving Barcelona, in which the Catalan club will pay part of the transfer fee, reserve a percentage of his rights and have the first option of securing his services in the future.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-transfer-gossip-manchester-united-15735588

• 3 months later...
11 hours ago, José said:

Just saw that real betis is coming to Chattanooga, Tenn. @Eco small stadium but the atmosphere seems hella dope

Chattanooga is a great city - but I have never seen a soccer match there. 

OFFICIAL:

Real Betis coach Quique Setién has handed in his resignation in the last few minutes at Real Betis after beating Real Madrid 2-0. The board have apparently tried their hardest to stop this happening but the Cantabrian coach has stayed firm in his decision.

This has all of a sudden lifted speculation that he could be signing for Barcelona.

More to follow...

• The title was changed to Real Betis - Quique Setien Resigns

He was a big factor in me looking to get a season ticket there next season, was hoping he was going to stay. I was at the home game last week and the chants of "Quique vete ya' were on show, the funny thing was, there were large sections of the stadium singing that and suddenly Joaquín put one in the top corner in the last minute to win them the game. The chants and discontent have been evident for a while now and there's a lot of fans fed up with him.

Setién was talking after the game today about needing to understand Sevilla as a city, the supporters and everything. It's a unique city in Spain in footballing terms but also culturally I feel, the people are of their own breed and the expectations and demands are rightly or wrongly very high. It's mental to see the progress made since Setien took over, where he's taken them, the players they have been able to attract, the progression in playing style and mentality, to then see the level of anger and frustration from the fans with him. Anyway, I'll say one thing to them, careful what you wish for. And sometimes you don't know what you have until it's gone as the old saying goes.

15 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

He was a big factor in me looking to get a season ticket there next season, was hoping he was going to stay. I was at the home game last week and the chants of "Quique vete ya' were on show, the funny thing was, there were large sections of the stadium singing that and suddenly Joaquín put one in the top corner in the last minute to win them the game. The chants and discontent have been evident for a while now and there's a lot of fans fed up with him.

Setién was talking after the game today about needing to understand Sevilla as a city, the supporters and everything. It's a unique city in Spain in footballing terms but also culturally I feel, the people are of their own breed and the expectations and demands are rightly or wrongly very high. It's mental to see the progress made since Setien took over, where he's taken them, the players they have been able to attract, the progression in playing style and mentality, to then see the level of anger and frustration from the fans with him. Anyway, I'll say one thing to them, careful what you wish for. And sometimes you don't know what you have until it's gone as the old saying goes.

I had quite an "entertaining" (notice the commas) discussion with a Betis season ticket holder (one I follow) on Twitter a couple of months back and it almost turned nasty until we made a truce. Everything you said, he was tweeting and I just couldn't see it and was trying to make him understand how stable Betis had become. I couldn't make him m comprehend that their genuine level was that which was being achieved and that this actual detail is extremely difficult for coaches to accomplish... That and many other things but there was no getting through to him and most of the Betis tweets (not talking about typical Twitter trolls who I ignore and block) were along the same lines as you say.

For me Sevilla isn't on its own in this sense because my experience in Valencia was exactly the same mate.

4 minutes ago, Panna King said:

Phillip Cocu is set to take over from what I have heard.

Those clubs in the south of Spain arent easy places to coach. Big names have been driven around the bend down there.

profimedia-0362198877-840x530.jpg

Quique Setién's first words since resigning from the Real Betis hotseat...

Journalist: Tell us about the rumours and you coaching Barça?

Setién: "Ernesto who is a close friend of mine is the coach there and he's doing a great job but everyone knows my sentiments towards Barcelona's philosophy and their history. Any coach that feels football like me only has two dream options to coach which are Barça and Ajax. It's a dream job although very demanding because only winning everything is acceptable. This doesn't mean there aren't other jobs I would love to have especially in the Premier League, but being able to head Barça is something my dreams don't even let me wish because it's a job that consists of purity and something more than just winning trophies. I have designed gameplans for Barça at home before watching their games, that's how fanatical I am about them. I spent hours speaking to Johan Cruyff everytime he visited Galicia and every single word he told me including how he said my name are recorded to perfection in my memories."

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

profimedia-0362198877-840x530.jpg

Quique Setién's first words since resigning from the Real Betis hotseat...

Journalist: Tell us about the rumours and you coaching Barça?

Setién: "Ernesto who is a close friend of mine is the coach there and he's doing a great job but everyone knows my sentiments towards Barcelona's philosophy and their history. Any coach that feels football like me only has two dream options to coach which are Barça and Ajax. It's a dream job although very demanding because only winning everything is acceptable. This doesn't mean there aren't other jobs I would love to have especially in the Premier League, but being able to head Barça is something my dreams don't even let me wish because it's a job that consists of purity and something more than just winning trophies. I have designed gameplans for Barça at home before watching their games, that's how fanatical I am about them. I spent hours speaking to Johan Cruyff everytime he visited Galicia and every single word he told me including how he said my name are recorded to perfection in my memories."

It seems that the people that listened to Cruyff seem to reach the top.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

On a totally separate note, Claude Puel was quoted last week as saying he fancies Spain next so I wonder if he'll go for the Espanyol job. Not convinced he'll get it mind xD

This news story on Setien had completely passed me by. Always quite liked the sound of him.

Archived