talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Willian - Arsenal Complete Signing

If I were an Arsenal fan, I'd do a forum search and see what we've said about him over the years.

If he leaves tomorrow to another team in outside of England, Chelsea fans would be grateful for his service and be selective and think of the good moments and I probably would do the same. If he leaves to Arsenal, Chelsea fans would be less selective and it would probably leave a sour taste in their mouths and damage his reputation.

I'll be objective. His Chelsea career has been a poor one individually performance-wise and overall you feel he didn't really perform to the level he's capable of throughout his time here. The thing is when a player has been at a club for a significant amount of time (he joined us in 2013 which is a relatively long time) and been part of successful teams and periods when they eventually leave, you end up being selective and remembering the good times. Willian has had good performances and big moments for us but for the majority of the time, he has either underperformed or not been critical to our success. You'll find various posts on here over the years where he's been the main source of complaint for us and the extent we've relied on him at times is shocking.

The other side of that though is that since the restart this season, he's probably been one of our better players, he's looked motivated and in good form and seems to have cut out some of the frustrating parts of his game. He had a decent period under Mourinho, under Sarri and now Lampard but I would go as far as saying this season under Lampard has probably been his best. His best in a strange season but at the same time where he probably wouldn't be mentioned in many Chelsea fan's conversations as being player of the season which probably pretty much sums him up. Looking at his career overall for us, he's had scattered periods within seasons where he has looked good but failed to build on that and maintain those periods of good form. In those periods where he wasn't playing well, he was very frustrating. I don't know if Arsenal are signing a player who has matured a little and who has finally cut out and worked on some of his flaws, a player who has been pushed out his comfort zone a little, who in the last year of his contract has started to appreciate his age and realize he has his future to play for, where overall something has finally shifted in a good way or a player that will continue to demonstrate the same inconsistencies that he demonstrated throughout his seven years here. The reality is those deviations in form used to frustrate the hell out of Chelsea fans.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw a stat somewhere which showed WIllian has never scored more than 10 goals in any of his premier league seasons, that's pretty damning for an attacking winger who's been part of title wining campaigns and been a starter throughout.

2 minutes ago, DNA said:

I saw a stat somewhere which showed WIllian has never scored more than 10 goals in any of his premier league seasons, that's pretty damning for an attacking winger who's been part of title wining campaigns and been a starter throughout.

I think when you consider that, and the fact Azpiliecueta is a very defensive oriented full-back, you can see why our right side wasn't very threatening throughout the years, which only emphasised the importance of Hazard on the left. 

His worst trait was that he always used to lose the ball and it was very frustrating seeing attacks break down because of that. Oddly he seems to have finally cut a lot of that out under Lampard but maybe it's just a temporary thing and it will creep back into his game at some point.

The last seven years have been full of comments from commentators and fans of other clubs talking up how good he is and it's always baffled me. He's one of those players that scores the odd quality goal and people probably see that and think he's amazing. Us Chelsea fans on here and have spent a significant part of the last seven years saying how we've needed someone to help Hazard and Willian has never looked like living up to that billing. He's probably not a bad squad player but he's always been a player that needs a consistent run of games to get going so him occupying a squad role isn't ideal for him.

In saying that he's probably leaving in his best season for us performance-wise. 

6 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

His worst trait was that he always used to lose the ball and it was very frustrating seeing attacks break down because of that. Oddly he seems to have finally cut a lot of that out under Lampard but maybe it's just a temporary thing and it will creep back into his game at some point.

The last seven years have been full of comments from commentators and fans of other clubs talking up how good he is and it's always baffled me. He's one of those players that scores the odd quality goal and people probably see that and think he's amazing. Us Chelsea fans on here and have spent a significant part of the last seven years saying how we've needed someone to help Hazard and Willian has never looked like living up to that billing. He's probably not a bad squad player but he's always been a player that needs a consistent run of games to get going so him occupying a squad role isn't ideal for him.

In saying that he's probably leaving in his best season for us performance-wise. 

Graeme Le Saux is notorious for that. 

• The title was changed to Willian - Arsenal Complete Signing
On 07/08/2020 at 02:37, shut up said:

It wasn't a negative comment. They have looked very good in the Bundesliga...we won't know how good they are until they play in the UCL and Premier League consistently .

On 07/08/2020 at 02:40, Mpache said:

See that's an elitist mentality. Following a better league and ruling out everyone else's standards. 

Not trying to push your buttons but I just despise it when people who are better rule out everyone else. 

You can be world class in the Eredivisie and the Brazilian Serie A if you ask me. It's totally unfair to say you can't without playing in the PL.

Not really. The Bundesliga is better than the permier league. We know exactly who Havertz and Werner are. 

3 hours ago, Stan said:

Can't not love all the stats right. 

Amazing how our "best player" played 14 more games than Pulisic and they are both equal on 11 goals. 3 of which were penalties from Willian. 

But remember, neither Havertz nor Werner are better than Willian. Even though Willian was just showed up by a former Bundesliga player on his debut season who many thought would flop. xD

3 hours ago, shut up said:

Got more assists than any Chelsea player last season and was 7th overall for chances created in the Premier League.

look at the gap between De Bruyne and everyone else though.image.thumb.png.85a909b286b779aa835ec14c5a1e7787.png

image.thumb.png.8fd436f662c32bc749b26051d9076698.png

As I've said before you're signing him off the back of probably his best season for us and signs would suggest he's matured as a player. A player who has probably had his best season for the club but still wouldn't be many Chelsea fans' player of the season which considering our season and the amount of young players we've had in the squad, it pretty much sums Willian an experienced international up. He was our player of the season in 15/16 in a campaign where we finished tenth and he wasn't exactly consistent throughout either. That season was basically a null on all accounts anyway.

It's quite frustrating that he's probably put in his best performances and most consistent run of games this past season to then shoot off. The reality is though that he should have been shifted a long time ago and the extent we've relied on him over the years is another example of why we've been a Europa League team mostly and have struggled to get deep into the Champions League knockouts. 

I've seen a few people say he's hardworking on here. He is when he wants to be. Under Lampard he definitely has been, Mourinho as well. The manager's influence plays a big part. Like I said though, he's a player that's in the latter stages of his career who has perhaps started to appreciate his situation and it's given him maybe a kick up the ass. I've seen him work very hard but also at the same time he can also be one of the laziest players on the pitch, depends what moment you get him in. Under the right conditions and manager, you'll get the work rate out of him but I wouldn't say it's always been something paramount in his game.

Do I think he'll be decent for you? If the past season is anything to go by then yes, he will be decent. You can get something out of him. I think he's matured as a player and maybe he's started to appreciate his career more given his contact situation and perhaps he's finally learnt or changed something about his game this past season under Lampard. Am I sad to see him go and is it a risk to sell to a rival? Take away some of the sentimental stuff and being objective, not at all. If you want an experienced squad player he'll do but history suggests he's not someone you can rely on heavily. If he makes that much of a difference to your fortunes next season, I think it will say more about us and our situation. It's a similar thing to Luiz leaving. 

20 minutes ago, Lucas said:

To be fair, with nothing big like the Champions League to worry about, Arsenal can rest Willian like they do most the others on Thursday night's, and keep him well refreshed for the league. 

He's better when he's playing consistently so if he's rested for the Europa League, it would be better for him to be playing reguarly in the league. He's not as good when he's in and out of the team which sounds like something which would be true for all players but you do have those squad players that can come in here and there and still perform when called upon. I don't think Willian however is that kind of player.

2 hours ago, carefreeluke said:

He's better when he's playing consistently so if he's rested for the Europa League, it would be better for him to be playing reguarly in the league. He's not as good when he's in and out of the team which sounds like something which would be true for all players but you do have those squad players that can come in here and there and still perform when called upon. I don't think Willian however is that kind of player.

Agreed, I think we can best describe Willian as a good trooper, someone that can do a reasonable job for the side as long as he is getting picked on a fairly regular basis, if not then you get what you get with him, Sometimes he will play out of his skin and put in 110% and everyone will be pleased they signed him, on other occasions he will be so,so and some might be wondering what all the fuss is about.. 

I always hoped Willian would have had more of an impact than he did for us over the years but he is a steady player capable of highs with no baggage and he will at least bring Arsenal some more experience in their line up... Win, win for all concerned here I think, He gets to stay in the Capital and in the PL and we get to create some space for the new players coming in.. 

7 minutes ago, shut up said:

Nope, it's 100k a week. stop reading the daily mail

The Sun have him as 220K a week as well and we all know that's as reliable as Boris Johnson when it comes to telling the truth... 

The Express are saying it's 100K a week... not that anyone should care either way to be honest... 

9 minutes ago, shut up said:

£220K per Week is including signing on fees and loyalty bonuses. A contracted offer totaling £35 million for 3 years or £220K per Week.

The cheek to claim he is willing to take a pay cut to join Arsenal xD

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

£220K per Week is including signing on fees and loyalty bonuses. A contracted offer totaling £35 million for 3 years or £220K per Week.

The cheek to claim he is willing to take a pay cut to join Arsenal xD

So not 220k pw then. 

30 minutes ago, shut up said:

No chance in hell he is joining you and taking a pay cut. Naive as fuck of you to think he is. Whether or not is 100k instead of 140k at Chelsea, you’re giving him a fucking shit load of money on top. You’re not getting some sort of bargain here 😂

13 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

So not 220k pw then. 

Well, it's either £100K per week and a massive lump sum of both the signing on fees/loyalty bonuses or his 3 year contract offer of £35 million is equally distributed out to £220K a week for the remainder of his time at Arsenal. 

You can look at it any way you want, its still a ridiculous contract package for a player who is 32. It's no bloody wonder he was so adamant in leaving us.  xD

Archived