talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Is This The Best Ever Premier League Title Race?

As it stands it's s thrilling three horse title race. Spurs will hopefully beat United tommorow and keep themselves in it. Hopefully City will win on Monday and keep it very close. 

Is this your favourite and the best title race we have had in the premier league era. There's been a few very good ones.  When City beat Liverpool and Chelsea. Newcastle when we were unfortunately reeled in by Manchester United thrilling title race for the neutrals.

The one where United won the treble Spurs had a lead at Old Trafford but United came back and won on the way to their treble. When City won the title on the last day will probably be a lot of peoples favourite it was a thrilling season and title race all the way through. Or maybe when Leicester or Blackburn won it. Blackburn losing to Liverpool with a last minute goal by Redknapp United at the same time drew 1-1 at West Ham Cole missed a great chance in injury time to win it for United. 

What's your favourite title race. For me this one could be the best it isn't yet but let's see what happens in the last 5 months.

I have 3 When City won it in stoppage time I was in a bar in Manchester at the time surrounded by City and United fans an Irish bar and it was funny seeing United fans singing to soon and they all stormed out when City won it. When Newcastle lost it was heartbreaking though I was a kid and didn't like it as much as now still sad to see but great to see your side in a title race.

The other one when City edged out Liverpool and Chelsea so many twists and turns throughout the season and lots of high scoring games. I think Arsenal were in that title race for long periods up to February or March to. What's yours?

• The title was changed to Is This The Best Ever Premier League Title Race?
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2001-2002 was pretty special for me because it was my first title. And going unbeaten was amazing. Leicester winning it as well was very special. 

• Subscriber

I don't think Spurs are really in it. The standards of consistency City and Liverpool have had to escalate themselves to in response to each other is something we've not seen before, but that doesn't mean it's a great title race. It sort of feels like a war of attrition more than anything, which sounds like an insult but it isn't, it's a case of the standard of football being ruthlessly high where in previous years, it's more of a story of peaks and troughs for the main contenders which makes it feel more exciting I suppose.

13/14 was memorable if devastating. From Jan onwards I was just celebrating every time the point gap to fifth increased (we're finally gonna be back in the UCL!!!) until about April when I realized we could legitimately win the title. I promptly got so ridiculously excited so quickly and was floating on a cloud for about a month. 

When we beat city I cried with joy. When we lost to Chelsea I was so gutted I couldn't speak about it for a week. Tears welled in my eyes just thinking about it. 

Maybe the most emotional rollercoaster experience I can honestly remember having in my life whether it be football or anything else....

8 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

I don't think Spurs are really in it. The standards of consistency City and Liverpool have had to escalate themselves to in response to each other is something we've not seen before, but that doesn't mean it's a great title race. It sort of feels like a war of attrition more than anything, which sounds like an insult but it isn't, it's a case of the standard of football being ruthlessly high where in previous years, it's more of a story of peaks and troughs for the main contenders which makes it feel more exciting I suppose.

They have been very consistent they have won the same amount of games as City 1 less than Liverpool before this weekend let's see what they do today. If they win it today I think they can challenge and who knows maybe win it to. Son will be a miss for them lucky for them he is only missing games at Fulham and at home to Newcastle and Watford they should get away with having him not available for them 3 matches unless someone like Kane gets injured I hope he doesn't.

1 hour ago, MUFC said:

2007-2008, Chelsea come second, but Arsenal were in the race for 90% of the season.

When Liverpool and City were involved in the title race Chelsea were right in it until about 3 or 4 games to go I think. It would be great if it happened probably a long shot though but history is there to be broken I guess. 

Archived