talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Mobile Phones

football forum

I'll be picking up a Pixel 3 in a few days. Not the Pixel 3 XL though because the notch on it is ugly as fuck.

Plus, the Pixel 3 screen is only .1 of an inch smaller than my current Pixel XL so it'll barely affect me.

I have an iPhone 5s, 4 years old this model. I got it when the iPhone 5 came out because all the numbnuts who paid a fortune on that pushed this model into a bargain.

Will be getting a new phone next year, not sure what, maybe a Samsung for the better picture quality.

2 hours ago, Danny said:

I have an iPhone 5s, 4 years old this model. I got it when the iPhone 5 came out because all the numbnuts who paid a fortune on that pushed this model into a bargain.

Will be getting a new phone next year, not sure what, maybe a Samsung for the better picture quality.

Loving my Huawei P20 Pro, though it was a toss up between that, Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus and Google Pixel 2 when deciding earlier this year.

On 06/10/2018 at 08:23, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Loving my Huawei P20 Pro, though it was a toss up between that, Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus and Google Pixel 2 when deciding earlier this year.

My contract is up in December and I was considering the Huawei because I like a change. I am tempted to stick with OnePlus as well though and get the 6T when that's out.

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Pixel 3 announced today, looks really good.

Its got an iPhone-ish look now so from a hardware perspective its pretty meh but on the software side things are starting to look a lot better. That Assistant is the lynch-pin in all of this.

I've already bought the Pixel 3, just need to wait for it now. I decided against the XL for the same reasons stated earlier. The 3 is the same size as my OG Pixel XL and I'm fine with that screen size.

• Administrator

I've got the Pixel and I've never had such a resilient phone. The amount of times I've accidentally dropped it, it should have broken or failed to work by now. 

As much as I would love to get the newer Pixels, I'm stuck in my contract til July next year. If this phone is still working perfectly, I'll stay on it and go on to a SIM Only deal - seen some ridiculous deals - £20 for 20GB per month.

• Upvote 1

Can't beat Samsung at the moment for me. I genuinely think their phones are the leader in every category at the moment, especially the screens. My one minor complaint (and it is minor) would be that I haven't yet found a use for the secondary camera, which is a 2x optical zoom lens. LG (and probably others) have a wide-angle lens as their secondary cameras, which I would find more useful.

With all that said, I'll be getting an iPhone as a work phone as soon as I decide if it's worth waiting for the new one to be released. I'd never consider buying one myself, but I'm looking forward to seeing what they have to offer. @SirBalon do you like Apple products mate?

Edited by Burning Gold
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stan said:

I've got the Pixel and I've never had such a resilient phone. The amount of times I've accidentally dropped it, it should have broken or failed to work by now. 

As much as I would love to get the newer Pixels, I'm stuck in my contract til July next year. If this phone is still working perfectly, I'll stay on it and go on to a SIM Only deal - seen some ridiculous deals - £20 for 20GB per month.

My OG Pixel has been dropped more times than all of my other phones combined and it still works perfect. The back is all dented and scratched to fuck, only last month did the screen finally crack but it's only a thing hairline crack across the screen with the corner of it looking worse than the rest. Other than that it feels like I just bought it.

• Administrator
Just now, Rab said:

My OG Pixel has been dropped more times than all of my other phones combined and it still works perfect. The back is all dented and scratched to fuck, only last month did the screen finally crack but it's only a thing hairline crack across the screen with the corner of it looking worse than the rest. Other than that it feels like I just bought it.

Yeah, never had a phone like it. My phone is also scratched like mad as well. 

Spoke to EE and it'll cost £300 to buy out my contract xD 

Just now, Stan said:

Yeah, never had a phone like it. My phone is also scratched like mad as well. 

Spoke to EE and it'll cost £300 to buy out my contract xD 

I'm going to do what you're doing with the sim only contract. Currently with Vodafone paying £60 a month, going to get EE's £20 a month deal and I've just outright bought the Pixel 3. It'll save me money in the long run.

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Rab said:

I'm going to do what you're doing with the sim only contract. Currently with Vodafone paying £60 a month, going to get EE's £20 a month deal and I've just outright bought the Pixel 3. It'll save me money in the long run.

Yeah my current EE is £47 for 5GB date and unlimited minutes/texts. 

8 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Amazes me why people take out contracts on phones.

Worked out to be the most financially sensible without changing providers. Was cheaper to take out the contract as opposed to buying the phone outright and paying on the sim only deal.

36 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Can't beat Samsung at the moment for me. I genuinely think their phones are the leader in every category at the moment, especially the screens. My one minor complaint (and it is minor) would be that I haven't yet found a use for the secondary camera, which is a 2x optical zoom lens. LG (and probably others) have a wide-angle lens as their secondary cameras, which I would find more useful.

With all that said, I'll be getting an iPhone as a work phone as soon as I decide if it's worth waiting for the new one to be released. I'd never consider buying one myself, but I'm looking forward to seeing what they have to offer. @SirBalon do you like Apple products mate?

I think you know and everyone here knows of my affinity to Apple and their products. xD

I've been on pay monthly for the last two years, it is nice not being contracted into anything but my package is aimed at backpackers.

I was on a contract in the UK which was alright when I lived there, but I didnt realise you couldn't opt out of them after spending so much time on one which I thought might be possible. Ended up having to pay monthly even though I was in Australia.

8 hours ago, Burning Gold said:

Agree.

The S8 and S9 are the only reasonable sized phones available in the market as of today.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/10/google-to-charge-android-oems-as-much-as-40-per-phone-in-eu/

Interesting strategy from Google and imo a good one. Why should an OEM benefit from a jacked up Android platform with all the stuff Google works on just so that they can sell a phone? Android, sans Google, is and always will be free and if they want to jump away from the Google bandwagon more power to them but then you'd lose all the magic sauce which makes Android so great in the first place.

1 week today until my Pixel 3 arrives!

I went into Carphone Warehouse to have a look at the Pixel 3 and compared it to my current Pixel XL. The screen height is identical although the width is much smaller. The phone overall is much smaller too. Really happy about getting front facing speakers back again. Speakers pointing out of the bottom of a phone are garbage.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Rab said:

1 week today until my Pixel 3 arrives!

I went into Carphone Warehouse to have a look at the Pixel 3 and compared it to my current Pixel XL. The screen height is identical although the width is much smaller. The phone overall is much smaller too. Really happy about getting front facing speakers back again. Speakers pointing out of the bottom of a phone are garbage.

I’ve been looking at the new Huawei being released tomorrow, in terms of spec, how does it stack up against the Pixel 3? 

4 minutes ago, Batard said:

I’ve been looking at the new Huawei being released tomorrow, in terms of spec, how does it stack up against the Pixel 3? 

I've not looked at any other phones to be honest. I was considering a OnePlus 6t but I've had Google phones since 2012 when I got the Nexus 4 and I've never been disappointed.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
16 minutes ago, AMG said:

Anyone here used a Huawei/Honor phone?

How's the experience been?

I had a Huawei years ago, don't remember the model precisely but I think it was a U8650, used it for years... My first smartphone haha, was cheap, did the job well and was very reliable considering its low specs. Huawei went a long way since then though; their new models look class.

• Administrator
7 hours ago, AMG said:

Anyone here used a Huawei/Honor phone?

How's the experience been?

Looking at the Mate 20 Pro myself, still can't quite find myself parting with the cash. I've heard about the screen bleed and it's put me right off.