talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Mobile Phones

football forum

38 minutes ago, Pyfish said:

I've had iPhone's for years and never had any issues but now I'm seeing some of my work mates phones and they are getting a HELL of a lot more than what I'm paying for the same phone with a bigger screen each time I upgrade. 

Only reason I've still got my iPhone is because all my friends seem to have them so using iMessage is handy and it syncs nicely with my Mac etc.

dont your friends have friends who use androids?

If yes, then they probably know of this nifty little app with a green logo which goes by the name of whatsapp.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, AMG said:

If yes, then they probably know of this nifty little app with a green logo which goes by the name of whatsapp.

I love your condescending nature xD 

WhatsApp is all good but iMessage is a lot easier as its the native messaging thing. Typical Apple user opinion but Android phones have always been super laggy and slow when I've owned them in the past.

• Administrator
48 minutes ago, AMG said:

or as some might say, what's up?

52 minutes ago, Pyfish said:

I love your condescending nature xD 

WhatsApp is all good but iMessage is a lot easier as its the native messaging thing. Typical Apple user opinion but Android phones have always been super laggy and slow when I've owned them in the past.

I get annoyed by this a lot.

I have yet to come across a single iPhone owner who doesnt install or use whatsapp, because everyone has some or the other person who doesnt have an apple, yet iMessage stays a relevant criteria. Why? No idea.

Recently got the iPhone XR as my work phone and I'm absolutely stunned by how much of a downgrade iOS is versus Android. There's very little customisability and almost everything takes several extra button presses. It's not terrible obviously, but it's very frustrating when I'm used to something much more efficient and intuitive.

The one thing I will say for it is that the face unlock is excellent and much more reliable than on my Note 8. Which is lucky because the XR doesn't have a fingerprint reader.

• Subscriber
38 minutes ago, JOSHBRFC said:

I’m due an upgrade next month. But I want to downgrade if anything. My IPhone 7 with apple music is currently costing me around £70. 

Talk to me. 

I don't really know the specifics of how pricing works out there but I'd imagine a OnePlus works at a cheaper cost and you can still continue Apple Music as you can install iTunes on Android and it works great. Plus the OnePlus has a good battery life and is very good as a phone overall. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Mel81x said:

I don't really know the specifics of how pricing works out there but I'd imagine a OnePlus works at a cheaper cost and you can still continue Apple Music as you can install iTunes on Android and it works great. Plus the OnePlus has a good battery life and is very good as a phone overall. 

I've heard good things about these phones. In particular on this forum. What's the camera like?

• Subscriber
Just now, nudge said:

After reading this thread I really got curious - how often do you actually get new phones? I keep on reading how everyone's looking to upgrade theirs xD 

Once every three/four years? unless it stops working (which is very rare for me)

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Once every three/four years? unless it stops working (which is very rare for me)

Yeah that sounds normal; I had an impression people actually upgrade more often than that and that's what made me curious.

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, nudge said:

Yeah that sounds normal; I had an impression people actually upgrade more often than that and that's what made me curious.

well i think these days people change their phones more regularly but I suppose most folks stick around for 2yrs or until the phone starts to become un-usable and then move over. Over here we don't do contracts so the device is purchased up-front and then its yours but I'd imagine that with contracts it just comes up that you can change the device with a new contract.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, nudge said:

After reading this thread I really got curious - how often do you actually get new phones? I keep on reading how everyone's looking to upgrade theirs xD 

Every 2-3 years. I've fluctuated between contracts and SIM Only deals.

If I'm on a contract that is due to expire (mine is in July), and the phone is still in good condition, I'll look to go on a SIM Only deal. My phone actually broke at the start of this month and luckily, as it was still under warranty, I managed to get a replacement so technically I have a brand new phone with only 6 months left on the contract. So I'll go on to a SIM Only deal which is so much better financially, without the expense of spending on a new phone which I'd likely have to do when the contract is up in most cases.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, nudge said:

Mine is usually once a year.

See. Phones in India are a lot cheaper than they are in EU and UK. (get used to it, Brexitters)

We pay 5$ for 3 months of unlimited calls, text and 1.4 GB of internet per day. (about 120 GB total).

So the only thing to spend on is the device itself.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, AMG said:

Mine is usually once a year.

See. Phones in India are a lot cheaper than they are in EU and UK. (get used to it, Brexitters)

We pay 5$ for 3 months of unlimited calls, text and 1.4 GB of internet per day. (about 120 GB total).

So the only thing to spend on is the device itself.

I pay 4$ for a month of unlimited calls, texts and 40GB data. I still change my phone only if it's broken or unusable, so about once in 5 years haha.

You must have a lot of used phones laying around in your house :D 

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, nudge said:

I’ve upgraded every 2 years on average for the last 10 years. Ive also been an idiot with money so don’t use me as the average. £70 is ridiculous I need to grow up. xD

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, JOSHBRFC said:

New phone time. Are these oneplus phones as good as you lot have said then?

Oneplus 7 is around the corner. 

So is Huawei p30. 

Wait a bit. Or if you must get one now, get the honor view 20 

• Subscriber
31 minutes ago, Rab said:

You'll be surprised at their quality.

Any in particular?

I need a cheaper contract than my current 70+pm(including Apple Music). I want a good camera and good battery. Had about 5 iPhones in a row over the last 8 years. Time for a change, they’re just too expensive. Currently got an IPhone 7 so don’t want to go from that to a worse phone.