talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Mobile Phones

football forum

On 02/01/2020 at 19:00, Stan said:

So my phone has got worse and got a crack on the phone (doesn't affect performance but irritating knowing it's there). 

Still very slow and can only see it getting worse so have bought another phone - Huawei P30 Pro. Much better spec than Google Pixel especially in terms of camera and battery life which are quite imporant for me. 

Only £50 upfront and only slightly more in terms of contract cost and time but much better phone in comparison to any new Google and also the current one I have.

Never had Huawei before so will hopefulyl be a good choice!

I've gone the other way and jumped from Huawei to Google.

I wouldn't say there was much difference in terms of overall quality and performance and there is nothing overly flashy about their phones, while at the same time they are spot on for what the majority of people need.

As I said though, my bank app is no longer compatible with Huawei phones, so I had no choice but to jump to google. Pretty much everything I do on phones is all about google also(google drive, youtube, googlemaps, Google store, general searching through google, etc) so it suits me to the ground.

Who knows, before long, the likes of Whatsapp and other great apps may stop working on Huawei and it's worrying what could stop working next. They are good phones but they are becoming limited in what you can use on them. You will soon hate it.

Edited by Carnivore Chris

On 17/12/2019 at 14:42, Rab said:

The Pixel 3a was £320 a few weeks ago. I got one for my girlfriend and there's very little difference between it and my Pixel 3.

That's what I got the other week and it does everything I need it to, while not breaking the bank. 40 quid a month, unlimited calls, txts and data. They also give the option of upgrading after 4 months if I wish to. I'd probably have to pay 50 up front due to upgrading early but would get a new phone and around 150-200 for this one on ebay after getting my Indian mate to unlock it for me.

Edited by Carnivore Chris

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Carnivore Chris said:

I've gone the other way and jumped from Huawei to Google.

I wouldn't say there was much difference in terms of overall quality and performance and there is nothing overly flashy about their phones, while at the same time they are spot on for what the majority of people need.

As I said though, my bank app is no longer compatible with Huawei phones, so I had no choice but to jump to google. Pretty much everything I do on phones is all about google also(google drive, youtube, googlemaps, Google store, general searching through google, etc) so it suits me to the ground.

Who knows, before long, the likes of Whatsapp and other great apps may stop working on Huawei and it's worrying what could stop working next. They are good phones but they are becoming limited in what you can use on them. You will soon hate it.

What made me switch was battery life. I was frustrated by Google Pixel's battery life (admittedly was an ageing phone) but several people I'd spoken too and seen online said that Pixel's 4/4a battery life was poor.

I did really like the Pixel - weighing up the 2 phones (Huawei P30 Pro and Google Pixel), the Huawei phone was standing out. 

What is being limited on them? All my banking apps work on there. Maps/Youtube works fine. I think it'll be a while before WhatsApp is obsolete on there - I'd say much longer than the 2 year contract I'm in (can probably early upgrade before that though). 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Stan said:

What made me switch was battery life. I was frustrated by Google Pixel's battery life (admittedly was an ageing phone) but several people I'd spoken too and seen online said that Pixel's 4/4a battery life was poor.

What's the battery capacity on the Pixel and on the Huawei? My Redmi has a 5000mAh battery and it lasts me well over two days (around 50 hours) with normal use.

• Administrator
39 minutes ago, nudge said:

What's the battery capacity on the Pixel and on the Huawei? My Redmi has a 5000mAh battery and it lasts me well over two days (around 50 hours) with normal use.

Huawei P30 Pro - 4200mAh

Pixel 4 - 2800mAh

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, nudge said:

Yeah massive difference there :o That's an unacceptably small battery by Google...

Yep, really helped massively with my decision to change away. 

The downside was that this model of Huawei is still on Android 9 but should get updated next month.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

I have the P30 Lite and that's 3340mAh

Currently have it on 85% charge and have an estimated 18 hours+ 

That's decent, I had similar on my previous phone too... 

This is on the new one:

Screenshot_2020-01-11-22-27-28-247_com.miui.securitycenter.jpg

• Administrator

I've had full charge since 11.45am.

I've streamed Palace/Arsenal, checked the scores regularly throughout the afternoon and gone on Twitter, here and just general usage of the phone.

Still got 50% left and potentially 11 hours left. 

I'd have had to charge my Pixel fully at this rate if I had that xD 

6 minutes ago, nudge said:

That's decent, I had similar on my previous phone too... 

This is on the new one:

Screenshot_2020-01-11-22-27-28-247_com.miui.securitycenter.jpg

I will charge mine up fully to 100% and let you know the total time before run down... 

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

I've streamed Palace/Arsenal, checked the scores regularly throughout the afternoon and gone on Twitter, here and just general usage of the phone.

I don't use mine for streaming but with my old Samsung I had to have the charging lead in my pocket the whole time because it would be run down after only 7 hours of being at work and was always dying on me just when I needed it most.. hardly any storage space on it either frustrating as fuck, it was time for a change and my new one has 128GB

• Administrator
Just now, Bluewolf said:

I will charge mine up fully to 100% and let you know the total time before run down... 

I don't use mine for streaming but with my old Samsung I had to have the charging lead in my pocket the whole time because it would be run down after only 7 hours of being at work and was always dying on me just when I needed it most.. hardly any storage space on it either frustrating as fuck, it was time for a change and my new one has 128GB

I can empathise! I used to carry an external charger/power-bank all the time with my Pixel and today was the first time I'd been to the game with my new phone. Felt good not to carry extra stuff with me this time!

2 hours ago, Stan said:

I'm sure the Chinese government are happy to hear that. :ph34r:

• 2 months later...

My turn for an upgrade, but not really sure what to look at. 

I've been tempted to go back to Samsung but the new S20 lot looks ridiculously expensive, even for the normal one. 

The Huawei P40 Pro looks very good and I do like my current P20 Pro, but with the current issues regarding the US and not having the Google Play store, I'm a little hesitant on upgrading to a newer version at present. 

I've heard good things about the Pixel lot but haven't really looked into them much. 

Not really sure where to turn to this time. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

I've been tempted to go back to Samsung but the new S20 lot looks ridiculously expensive, even for the normal one. 

The Huawei P40 Pro looks very good and I do like my current P20 Pro, but with the current issues regarding the US and not having the Google Play store, I'm a little hesitant on upgrading to a newer version at present. 

I've heard good things about the Pixel lot but haven't really looked into them much. 

:o seriously?

5 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

I have the P40 lite and that has Google Play Store on it... 

8 minutes ago, Stan said:

Oh wow. I've got the P30 Pro so I'm hoping that doesn't change with any future update!

What's it like on other sites?

I think the P30 is fine as that came out before all this kicked off. I think it's newer models such as the P40 onwards, though Bluewolf is saying that his has the Play Store, which is strange. 

Also, there's probably a way to dowoad the Play Store via a download on the net as well, though unsure if there'd be any issues afterwards. 

Edited by Bluebird Hewitt

6 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

I think the P30 is fine as that came out before all this kicked off. I think it's newer models such as the P40 onwards, though Bluewolf is saying that his has the Play Store, which is strange. 

Also, there's probably a way to dowoad the Play Store via a download on the net as well, though unsure if there'd be any issues afterwards. 

Not so strange.. I have the P30 lite not the P40.... my humble apologies... That might explain why.. 

Old people and technology eh!! :ph34r:

• Subscriber
16 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

How strange.... I couldn't play my Boom Beach without it... B|

I couldn't install Galaxy of Heroes on my Xiaomi for some related or unrelated reason so just downloaded the apk file and installed it manually... That would work for most apps but missing some of the Google specific apps like Gmail and Maps would certainly be a big disadvantage. Could still live without it to be honest. Quite eager to see what Huawei has come up with as an alternative. A bit more competition in the mobile market can't hurt.

3 minutes ago, nudge said:

I couldn't install Galaxy of Heroes on my Xiaomi for some related or unrelated reason so just downloaded the apk file and installed it manually... That would work for most apps but missing some of the Google specific apps like Gmail and Maps would certainly be a big disadvantage. Could still live without it to be honest. Quite eager to see what Huawei has come up with as an alternative. A bit more competition in the mobile market can't hurt.

I was finding that although my old Samsung could run it ok with small updates every time they did a big update space was at a premium and in the end I just couldn't get it to run at all.. Had to upgrade anyway because my kids thought I was caveman because my phone didn't have enough space to run what's up or whatever you call it... 

• Haha 1