The better place to talk football.

Emiliano Sala - Cardiff Face Transfer Ban

football forum

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
9 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Have they mentioned how he came to receiveing such injuries?

Probably on impact of the plane hitting the water after falling thousands of feet from the air? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Emiliano Sala's Cardiff transfer could have been done better - Neil Warnock

Cardiff City manager Neil Warnock admits the £15m transfer of Emiliano Sala could have been better conducted, but insists chairman Mehmet Dalman "will do things in the right way".

Sala was Cardiff's record signing but never played for the club. He died when a plane piloted by David Ibbotson, who remains missing, crashed.

The Bluebirds were due to make the first payment to Nantes on 20 February, but the clubs have agreed a delay of one week.

"Certain things were done that in reflection should not have been done. That stirred everyone up," said Warnock.

"But I have complete faith in Mehmet that things will come to a conclusion in the future.

"I don't really want to go into detail on that, but it created stories that shouldn't have been there.

"The matter should have been kept between the two clubs really [Cardiff and Nantes].

"I have every confidence in Mehmet. I know a lot has been written, people surmising things, but I've known Mehmet since I arrived here and I'm quite confident he'll deal with it in the right way.

"They've asked for an extension and I think Nantes have agreed with that."

Sala died when a plane taking him from Nantes to Cardiff crashed into the English Channel on 21 January.

The 28-year-old's body was recovered from the crash site and his funeral took place in Argentina on 16 February, with Warnock and Cardiff chief executive Ken Choo attending.

Nantes wrote to Cardiff on 5 February with a request for the first of three instalments to be paid.

Cardiff said they were withholding payment while seeking "clarification" on details of the accident and want to wait until crash investigations are complete.

They are also querying "anomalies" in contract details, but say they will be "honourable" with Nantes over the transfer fee if they are contractually obliged to pay.

Warnock says certain issues should not have become public and also walked back on comments he made that certain journalists covering the story have a "vendetta against him".

The Cardiff boss also defended his son James, an agent, whose involvement in certain Cardiff transfers has led to accusations of a conflict of interest.

"I feel sorry for James if I am honest," said Warnock.

"[Cardiff captain Sean] Morrison was mentioned as one of his players. We turned down £5m from Sheffield Wednesday for him, so it was sensible to put him on a longer contract.

"Rhys Healey was mentioned, an up-and-coming player and all the other players were already here before I joined the club.

"Vendetta was probably the wrong word for me to use really. I just think a couple of journalists in particular, over the last 15 years, when I look at the columns they have written… It's not just journalism really. But hey ho.

"All I can talk about is the football side. The board deal with the financial side.

"But Mehmet will bring it to a conclusion in the next I don't know how many days."

Warnock would not comment on remarks from agent Willie McKay, who said last week that Cardiff "had hung him out to dry".

Football agent McKay says he arranged the flight that Sala took from Nantes, but was not involved in selecting the plane or pilot.

When asked about McKay's comments, Warnock said: "I think everything has been said. If you keep talking about it, they'll keep writing about it."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47316871

• 1 month later...

I think that in a legal battle, they’ll look at the intent of all parties: both clubs and the players, and while Cardiff’s initial contract may have been impermissible under league rules they’ll look at whether there was intent to have him sign a contract that wasn’t breaking league rules - there’s probably emails with the league or the player out there. So I think ultimately they’ll find Cardiff will have to pay.

I think this is just being done to kick the can down the road and buy Cardiff some time and maybe change how many installments they’ll have to pay Nantes.

It’s not the best PR move though

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, ...Dan said:

Wtf Cardiff?

Emiliano Sala: Cardiff set to claim transfer deal 'not legally binding'

By Rob Phillips

BBC Sport Wales football correspondent

Cardiff City are set to claim the deal to buy Emiliano Sala from Nantes for £15m was not legally binding.

The Bluebirds are refusing to make interim payments for the striker, who died in a plane crash on 21 January.

Cardiff will tell world football's governing body Fifa that Nantes' conditions for completion of the deal were not fulfilled and Sala was not registered as a Premier League player.

Nantes claim the required paperwork was completed.

The French club referred the matter to Fifa, who want Cardiff to submit their evidence by 3 April.

Sala, 28, was Cardiff's record signing, announced on Saturday, 19 January.

The Argentine died when an aircraft piloted by David Ibbotson, who is still missing, crashed into the English Channel near Guernsey.

The club was due to pay a first instalment on 20 February.

A Cardiff source said the transfer agreement stipulated - at the request of Nantes - that the Football Association of Wales and France's Ligue de Football Professional had to confirm the registration to both clubs by 22 January, along with confirmation of the international transfer certificate being released.

The Premier League also had to clear the registration.

The Bluebirds insist the terms of the contract maintains that if any parts of that arrangement were not confirmed, then the deal would be null and void.

They claim:

1597824594_download(3).thumb.png.49356fad64d19660696b4c4b4dbaf3b0.png

It is thought the notifications clause was inserted because if the deal fell through, both Cardiff and Nantes would have had time to seek a new player before the January transfer window closed on 31 January.

BBC Sport has also learned arrangements for a signing-on fee did not meet Premier League rules and so had been rejected by the league.

A Cardiff spokesman would not comment on specific details but said: ''The club is aware of Fifa's request for a response by 3 April and is processing that accordingly. We have no further comment at this stage.''

Nantes say they completed all the necessary paperwork and have pointed out Fifa registered the international transfer certificate on 21 January.

They say they have been fully compliant with Fifa's rules.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47696561

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think that in a legal battle, they’ll look at the intent of all parties: both clubs and the players, and while Cardiff’s initial contract may have been impermissible under league rules they’ll look at whether there was intent to have him sign a contract that wasn’t breaking league rules - there’s probably emails with the league or the player out there. So I think ultimately they’ll find Cardiff will have to pay.

I think this is just being done to kick the can down the road and buy Cardiff some time and maybe change how many installments they’ll have to pay Nantes.

It’s not the best PR move though

I agree it's buying time, particularly given it's well in the balance whether they'll play Premier League football next year or not.

I do think they should pay though as hard as it is.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Hope Cardiff go down now, sorry @Bluebird Hewitt. Proper shithouse this and just makes all the grieving seem like it was for show, happy to have a minutes applause but won't pay for him? Have a day off. Disgusting.

Sadly think there's a degree of truth in this. You can't go paying all those tributes and making a big fuss of the whole thing then refuse to take responsibility once it comes to paying. Really poor.

EDIT: Didn't occur that I have a Nantes badge in my signature xD clocked it as soon as I wrote this. Nothing to do with this of course.

The selling club is really taking the fee for allowing the player sign terms, it's not their job to get the player to the new club.

Seems absurd from Cardiff. Ultimately, if they hadn't made the offer then Sala would still be at Nantes, so it makes absolutely zero sense that Nantes are the ones meant to lose out here. 

• Subscriber

To be fair to Cardiff, they're hardly the first entity to go from grieving a situation like this straight into minimising the financial hit they're taking as a company. I wouldn't expect them to just shrug and say alright have your £20m if they have any leg to stand on or any potential to get out of some of that payment. Doing so would not bring the bloke back to life.

That said, you've got to try and handle it better than this if you've got a public image to look after.

• Subscriber

Emiliano Sala: Cardiff City seek talks with Nantes over the transfer fee dispute

Cardiff City are seeking direct talks with Nantes in an effort to solve the dispute over the £15m transfer fee for striker Emiliano Sala, who died in a plane crash in January.

World football's governing body Fifa have granted the clubs until 15 April to settle the row.

Cardiff refused to make the first scheduled payment for the Argentine.

Fifa had originally ordered evidence to be submitted by Wednesday to adjudicate in the dispute.

Cardiff say Nantes have yet to respond to their request, sent last week, to meet over the issue.

A club statement said: "Cardiff City has requested and been granted an extension to the deadline to respond to Fifa on this matter.

"Cardiff City recently wrote to FC Nantes proposing a meeting to discuss issues surrounding the Emiliano Sala tragedy and planned transfer, in line with Fifa's request for our two clubs to come to a resolution directly.

"To date, Cardiff City has not received a response from FC Nantes."

The Bluebirds have contended the agreement struck with Nantes to buy Sala was not legally binding.

They say conditions, which they claim were insisted on by the French club for completion of the deal, were not fulfilled.

Nantes have insisted they completed all the necessary paperwork and had been fully compliant with Fifa's rules.

Fifa president Gianni Infantino has said he hoped the two clubs would be able to reach an agreement between themselves.

Now Cardiff have revealed they have moved to offer discussions to Nantes.

Sala, 28, was announced as Cardiff's record signing on 19 January.

He died in a plane crash late on 21 January near Guernsey, when he was a passenger on a flight from Nantes to the Welsh capital.

The aircraft was piloted by David Ibbotson, who is still missing. BBC Wales understands Ibbotson was not qualified to fly at night.

He is thought to have been colour blind and his licence restricted him to flying only in daytime hours.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47797661

• The title was changed to Emiliano Sala - Cardiff Face Transfer Ban

Archived