talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Race for CL Places

Feel this is well worthy of a thread given Liverpool are out of sight and the only club capable of giving them a proper run are City. This then goes into the race for the Top 4. 

As it is currently

Capture.thumb.JPG.d1332787364946a6328d788851b099ab.JPG

Spurs are going into the next few weeks without Kane and Son. 

We are 6 points clear with still no attacking threat up top. We also have Arsenal, City, and Spurs before the end of February. 

Arsenal and United are matched on points with the latter carrying momentum. 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

I think you (Chelsea) will just scrape through in 4th. 

A lot, as usual in 2nd half of the season, would depend on how far each team goes in Europe as this takes a lot out of many squads and perhaps priorities begin to lie elsewhere the further in the competition you get. In the same breath, if you get knocked out earlier, the more you can focus on getting top 4 and CL qualification (it's weird that 'achieving' 4th gets you in to the biggest club competition in the world but that's the way it is).

I think the top 3 will stay as they are. 

• Subscriber

If United make the top 4 then that will be a miracle but I just can't see it, I think United and Arsenal will have to be content with the Europa next season but you never know, I still say Liverpool will hold out and pip City for the title (my son is sitting beside me giving me deadly looks so I had to say that.) 

:shoot: :whistling:

• Subscriber

No reason why United can't get it now. Unless Chelsea get a real striker in to change their fortunes in January. Arsenal look a real outside bet to me. Spurs should be nailed on unless the loss of Son along with a potential injury to Kane over the next few weeks really derails them.

• Subscriber

Over the next few games United have the slightly less problematic fixture list to try and overcome Arsenal but to take over Chelsea there would have to be some serious kind of meltdown to let that happen. Even with the fact they have some top sides to play in the next few games I still think they'll secure the CL spot come late March (Chelsea that is).

Chelsea need a top striker if you don't get one. I think you will miss out and Manchester United wil get in. United still have to play Chelsea at home. That's a big one. If Chelsea win at Arsenal that's the Gunners gone. An Arsenal win and their 3 points behind so have every chance to. I think they will miss out due to their defence being so poor. United have all the momentum.

Spurs have to be careful otherwise they could amazingly miss out. However I think they will be fine yes they will miss Kane and Son but I think they'll have enough and they have a good run of fixtures Fulham away Watford at home Newcastle at home and Leicester at home then Burnley away unless they get to the carabao cup final if they do that game will be played later in the season. 

Whatever happens it'll be a thrilling race to the end of the season the same as the battle for the title and the race for 7th and the relegation battle what an end to the season it's going to be.

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Cicero said:

My sarcasm reader is at the repair shop. 

You aren't serious are you?

I’m serious. 

We have no Son now either, nobody that can score goals or play up front. No doubt we will lose at the Bridge, get knocked out by Dortmund and probably lose at Palace. By the time Kane is back properly fit it will be April and we will be out the top 4. Awful timing but we pay the price of Daniel refusing to strengthen 

Kane's injury and Son away drops Spurs into the race for top 4.  Hopefully Arsenal beat Chelsea this weekend and Spurs drop points over the next month or so and we will have a great four way race for the last two Champions League spots.

1 hour ago, Storts said:

I’m serious. 

We have no Son now either, nobody that can score goals or play up front. No doubt we will lose at the Bridge, get knocked out by Dortmund and probably lose at Palace. By the time Kane is back properly fit it will be April and we will be out the top 4. Awful timing but we pay the price of Daniel refusing to strengthen 

Kane being out does put the pressure on, can't deny that he has a lot of influence and is in good form for Spurs, I can see you being a little bit like us for a while, great passing and movement but no decisive cutting edge up front when it matters.. This could have a big negative impact on Spurs season now. Going to need to see how the rest of the team react to this.. 

• 2 months later...
  • The title was changed to Who will Finish 3rd & 4th?

Archived