• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

David Wagner Leaving Huddersfield

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
3 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Don't see the point. He's done a good job and I don't see who's keeping them up, even Allardyce, they're so far off being top flight quality.

They'd have been better keeping him and letting him rebuild.

Hoyle, their chairman, has said:

As I had said previously, I had no intention of sacking David this season. Subsequently David – being the great man he is – came to us and made it clear that he needs a break from the rigours of football management.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Harvsky said:

Good to see a manager resign when they are failing for a change. 

Wagner has always come across as a practical manager. He's not the kind to try and say that they haven't tried or will make things happen just to blow smoke up anyone's backside either. Good luck to him wherever he goes next and it was the right thing to do considering what's happening now. I don't think anyone can keep them up in the present condition and whoever goes there will eventually inherit the task of having to rebuild and go up again.

Was going to say the obvious point that sacking would be ridiculous on the basis that them being in the PL is itself miraculous, but turns out he agrees he should go.

Their real aim shouldn't just be survival, but rather to develop themselves into a position where they are positioned to be a consistent top-end Championship club.

• Subscriber

There have been rumours on a couple of occasions that we've gone in for Wagner in the past so you never know. Doubt he'd come here immediately though if his reasons for going at Huddersfield are genuine. This job's become probably a bit disproportionately demanding.

I think Puel's got the season anyway unless we collapse, which I concede is possible.

• Administrator
11 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

I think Wagner would be exactly the type of manager for Leicester to take a chance on actually. It just really wouldn't fit at all with the wanting to take some time out of football management story.

Really?

I know it's Huddersfield, but they've been shite and played shite football this season under him - ultra-defensive yet still leak goals, can't score goals. Yes they probably have a limited squad but to only score 13 goals all season so far is rubbish.

Our fans get bored with Puel but it'll be the same, if not worse, under Wagner. 

Personal opinion is that if Puel is going to be replaced, we go with someone a bit more expressive and someone who plays more creative/attacking football - with that though comes the caveat that we'll probably concede more. Our defensive play this season has been improved compared to last couple of seasons. 

For me, it'd be the wrong move for us to 1) sack Puel and 2) replace him with Wagner. 

• Subscriber

Credit to Wagner if his reasons are genuine. It's best for Huddersfield if his head isn't completely in it etc.

Allardyce has told talkSPORT that it is "very unlikely" he will be taking over.

The only person this job would suit down to the ground is Warnock and he's trying to achieve the same goal at Cardiff.

No one is going to want to take that on unless they are comfortable accepting a Championship challenge.

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Stan said:

Really?

I know it's Huddersfield, but they've been shite and played shite football this season under him - ultra-defensive yet still leak goals, can't score goals. Yes they probably have a limited squad but to only score 13 goals all season so far is rubbish.

Our fans get bored with Puel but it'll be the same, if not worse, under Wagner. 

Personal opinion is that if Puel is going to be replaced, we go with someone a bit more expressive and someone who plays more creative/attacking football - with that though comes the caveat that we'll probably concede more. Our defensive play this season has been improved compared to last couple of seasons. 

For me, it'd be the wrong move for us to 1) sack Puel and 2) replace him with Wagner. 

I just think he seems more of a long term appointment, bit of a builder and has achieved great things with Huddersfield to get them up and keep them up even just for one season. Can't really blame him for them being dismal this season, though you might be correct about style of play. I haven't watched them enough to comment.

He also seems the type to keep fans on side a bit longer than the Koemans and Puels of the world which shouldn't be a significant factor but sort of is for most clubs these days. I accept that it doesn't exactly scream ambition but if Leicester want a long term plan they should look at a long term manager. Whether that's Wagner specifically or not I don't know but he is at least the right type in that sense.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

I just think he seems more of a long term appointment, bit of a builder and has achieved great things with Huddersfield to get them up and keep them up even just for one season. Can't really blame him for them being dismal this season, though you might be correct about style of play. I haven't watched them enough to comment.

He also seems the type to keep fans on side a bit longer than the Koemans and Puels of the world which shouldn't be a significant factor but sort of is for most clubs these days. I accept that it doesn't exactly scream ambition but if Leicester want a long term plan they should look at a long term manager. Whether that's Wagner specifically or not I don't know but he is at least the right type in that sense.

I feel if he did take the mantle, he won't win over enough hearts over time - fans in general can be quite fickle, but this season it appears some of our own fans are the worst for it xD

As soon as Wagner hits a bad patch of form, or goes a few games without winning, or going defensive in a few games, fans will turn. Sad state of affairs, really. Fans might love the 'honeymoon' period for a new manager where everything seems rosy, new and shiny, but as soon that time is over, it's back to the old grind. 

I fully think Puel has a long term plan and may be a case of 'short term pain for long term gain' (the gain primarily in how he uses youngsters to build squads and develop). The short-term pain is the boring brand of football that can sometimes be produced xD 

• Subscriber

€300k fee: Jan Siewert to become Huddersfield Town manager ‘with immediate effect’

By Sports Witness Team -18th January 2019

Germany’s SportBild are reporting, as fact and from their own information, that Jan Siewert is on the verge of becoming Huddersfield Town manager.

They say the Borussia Dortmund coach will be appointed as Huddersfield manager ‘with immediate effect’, taking over from compatriot David Wagner, who decided to leave the Premier League club earlier this month.

Huddersfield Town will be paying a fee to Borussia Dortmund of €300k to compensate for taking their U23 coach away.

Alen Terzic will be taking over Siewerts’ BVB role in the summer.

The new Huddersfield manager, as Bild insist he will be, is only 36 years of age and the second coach the Terriers have taken from the BVB system, after David Wagner.

https://sportwitness.co.uk/e300k-fee-jan-siewert-become-huddersfield-town-manager-immediate-effect/

Archived