talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Petr Cech To Retire at the End of the Season

• Administrator

Just announced on his Twitter.

20-year career. Huge success with Chelsea the main stand-out. Won every trophy available domestically. 

One of the greatest Premier League keepers?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the greatest that played for the club, won basically every trophy there is domestically and in Europe. Also was key for our UCL final win against Bayern, made some outstanding saves and saved two penalties in the shoot out. One of the greatest keepers to play in the league as well. He has nothing more to prove i wish him well in his retirement.

Was one of the world's best in his first few years at Chelsea, never quite the same after that injury but was still a fine keeper. Easily one of the best of the PL era. Always seemed like a genuine and down to earth bloke too, seems to be increasingly less of those these days.

8 minutes ago, Harry said:

I'd think he could comfortably go another 5 years in lower level clubs but to each their own. 

Whilst I don't disagree he couldn't, I also think its nice for players of high stature to bail out at the top level. It means more. After all he is a bit of a legend and will get remembered as a great keeper. One of the flagship of his generation.

Don't think he's much to gain by prolonging his career a few seasons just to have a CV that states for example, Derby, QPR and Portsmouth.

And if he bails out now, he'll fall straight into media anyway. He's sorted.

2 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Whilst I don't disagree he couldn't, I also think its nice for players of high stature to bail out at the top level. It means more.

Don't think he's much to gain by prolonging his career a few seasons just to have a CV that states for example, Derby, QPR and Portsmouth.

And if he bails out now, he'll fall straight into media anyway. He's sorted.

I agree. A media career would be reason to time it. But if you live football and wanted to try living in the US for a while the is something pretty unique on offer.

It depends on the player and what their desires are. 

Legend. 

2012 defied him. So consistent throughout the years and always reliable. His move to Arsenal didn't matter given all that he did for us. 

That's now everyone in that illustrious spine, retired. Cech, Terry, Makelele, Lampard, Drogba. 

Was one of the best I'd ever seen until he cracked his head and then he was "just" the best keeper in England for a bit. Kind of surprised with how much he's fallen out of form in the past few years, but that happens when you get a bit older.

26 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Was one of the best I'd ever seen until he cracked his head and then he was "just" the best keeper in England for a bit. Kind of surprised with how much he's fallen out of form in the past few years, but that happens when you get a bit older.

That year off he had at Chelsea did for him I think. He was never the same for Arsenal and has conceded a few soft goals there that would've shocked you during even the latter part of his time at Chelsea.

19 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

He was never the same player after the accident and to be honest who would be with something like that playing a sport where you have to throw yourself around and get knocked about on occasion... Such a great keeper for us and can't underestimate what an influence he had in goal.. a very safe pair of hands no doubt about it.. I wish him well.. 

There were 13 major honours over his 11-year stint at Stamford Bridge – a haul which included “every single trophy possible”, as he acknowledged in his statement confirming retirement plans – where he was among a core of senior players alongside John Terry, Frank Lampard and Drogba who, regardless of the identity of the manager, drove that team to silverware.

Class!! 

Just now, Bluewolf said:

He was never the same player after the accident and to be honest who would be with something like that playing a sport where you have to throw yourself around and get knocked about on occasion... Such a great keeper for us and can't underestimate what an influence he had in goal.. a very safe pair of hands no doubt about it.. I wish him well.. 

There were 13 major honours over his 11-year stint at Stamford Bridge – a haul which included “every single trophy possible”, as he acknowledged in his statement confirming retirement plans – where he was among a core of senior players alongside John Terry, Frank Lampard and Drogba who, regardless of the identity of the manager, drove that team to silverware.

Class!! 

Yeah and getting an injury like that makes some people pretty apprehensive about being in situations where they might get hurt in the same manner again - he kept on going for years at a high level. Never the exact same, mind you, but there was a long long period of time post-injury where I think Cech was still undisputedly the best keeper in the country.

It's just a shame because before he got hurt, he was in contention to be up there with Buffon imo.

4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah and getting an injury like that makes some people pretty apprehensive about being in situations where they might get hurt in the same manner again - he kept on going for years at a high level. Never the exact same, mind you, but there was a long long period of time post-injury where I think Cech was still undisputedly the best keeper in the country.

It's just a shame because before he got hurt, he was in contention to be up there with Buffon imo.

Agreed, Just bad luck in the end I suppose.. still, he can at least look back on his career knowing he played in a side that competed and won major trophies so I am sure he will have lot's of decent stories and experiences to pass on..  I don't know what his plans are now but reckon he could become a goal keeping coach for someone... 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Spike said:

High praise in this thread, but not high enough. Čech is a definitive goalkeeper of the last fifteen years, along with Buffon and Casillas. The top three and none come close.

I kind of agree here and the only reason the other two edge him is the national rewards they also gathered in their time as top goalkeepers but that shouldn't take anything away from Cech and some of the most incredible saves hes ever made. Top drawer stuff from him and its good hes retiring instead of trying to move along and just get another paycheck with another team. I hope he gets into coaching and passes on his knowledge to other players.

• Subscriber
On 15/01/2019 at 17:40, Cicero said:

Legend. 

2012 defied him. So consistent throughout the years and always reliable. His move to Arsenal didn't matter given all that he did for us. 

That's now everyone in that illustrious spine, retired. Cech, Terry, Makelele, Lampard, Drogba. 

What a spine that was.

I echo what's been said. One of the best keepers we've had in this country, arguably the best of the Premier League era. Nearly as good as Brad Friedel :ph34r::$.

The injury definitely did something to him regarding the mental side of his game, and understandably so.

Apparently Chelsea are willing to offer him a role if he wants it once he has retired.... 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46890147

The Times reported that Cech could be offered a coaching or ambassadorial role.

It is understood to be too soon to say what role Cech would take, but he knows Chelsea want to use his services.

After announcing his retirement, Cech said: "I am looking forward to seeing what life holds for me off the pitch.

"Having played 15 years in the Premier League and won every single trophy possible, I feel like I have achieved everything I set out to achieve.

Archived