talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Austin Powers Their Way Into MLS From 2021

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
football forum

The US really needs promotion/relegation soon. 59 teams in one league isn't going to be productive, anyone else joining after Austin should join a lower league with other newbies.

2 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

The US really needs promotion/relegation soon. 59 teams in one league isn't going to be productive, anyone else joining after Austin should join a lower league with other newbies.

Fuck that. Every other league in the world has a promotion/relegation system. It's so much more interesting to have something different, and I'd argue the current system is better to bring the sport to the American market as well.

That said, they're surely approaching the upper limit on league size.

football forum
7 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Fuck that. Every other league in the world has a promotion/relegation system. It's so much more interesting to have something different, and I'd argue the current system is better to bring the sport to the American market as well.

With the amount of teams that are joining I don't see what other option they have.

• The title was changed to Austin Powers Their Way Into MLS From 2021
14 minutes ago, Dan said:

Do Americans feel that this league is genuinely progressing? Interested to hear what people think.

Only seen them sporadically but Atlanta look a properly tidy side.

I think it is progressing in terms of the football played. It's still not great, but it does seem to have become a much better feeder league these days. Still not better than Brazil and Argentina, and I doubt it ever will be, but better than Mexico as their clubs are impossible to do deals with.

I'd say it has the worst football of the 3 mentioned above, but they have a lot of faith in young South Americans and I like that. 

45 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Americans will breathe by this format.

Not sure about the fans but I don't think the people in charge would want to do promotion - relegation.

Don’t see the need for promotion and relegation. It’s no a facet of sport that Americans have and I don’t really see the need for its introduction. The more teams that join the MLS, the better, for me. 

If the MLS continues at the rate it’s growing at then I can foresee them creating more conferences based upon geography with crossover games. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/01/2019 at 05:13, Smiley Culture said:

Most do, don’t they?

Toronto FC, FC Dallas, LAFC, NYCFC, Vancouver Whitecaps etc. 

Yes. Orlando went with the 'SC' because their....'special'

Archived