talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

James Rodríguez Completes Move to Everton

• Subscriber

Explained: How Arsenal can sign James Rodriguez on loan despite Fifa rule

By Lee Wilmot - 19:00, 16 JAN 2019

Arsenal could take advantage of a FIFA rule to sign James Rodriguez from Bayern Munich for six months

Arsenal have been linked with a shock move for James Rodriguez.

The Colombian frontman is currently on loan at Bayern Munich from Real Madrid, having joined the German side on a two-year loan deal at a cost of £11.5million.

However, the 27-year-old has struggled to establish himself under new coach Niko Kovac, leading to suggestions that he could find another club in the January transfer window.

Arsenal have been looking at a number of wide options, including Denis Suarez and Yannick Carrasco, but head coach Unai Emery has admitted they are only looking at loan signings this month.

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/transfer-news/explained-how-arsenal-can-sign-15687912

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't touch my him with a barge poll. He is bad news no matter the talent there. That's all we need at Arsenal, another blood sucker.

Napoli would be out of their minds to consider him. Expensive in every single way. The best destination for this prima donna is China.

1 hour ago, Cannabis said:

I remember that time you touched me with your barge poll. 

I remember too mate... I tried to be as sensitive as possible but my barge poll was way too sentimentally attached. :x

The Arsenal boat from that original report sailed in January.

Can't see him staying at Real Madrid now though so who can afford him and believes he is worth the money?

I could see a few mid table EPL clubs being tempted but maybe not attractive to the player. 

Napoli might not be prepared to spend huge money on him but you'd think he'd see that as a nice move. 

7 hours ago, Harry said:

The Arsenal boat from that original report sailed in January.

Can't see him staying at Real Madrid now though so who can afford him and believes he is worth the money?

I could see a few mid table EPL clubs being tempted but maybe not attractive to the player. 

Napoli might not be prepared to spend huge money on him but you'd think he'd see that as a nice move. 

Reading your words mate, I think you may be a bit confused as to the situation that surrounds James Rodríguez right now (or maybe I've misinterpreted them)...

The question with James isn't what's attractive to the player but who is willing to take a bet on a footballer that will demand massive wages that aren't justified in the slightest.

The "boat that sailed" where Arsenal are concerned may it be blessed with strong but steady winds to carry it away far far away from The Emirates. We have plenty of problems realted to this sort of thing without adding another one (as big as the biggest one we have) to the whole mess.

Mid-table Premier League clubs can't afford him and if they were to stretch themselves they would regret it massively.

Napoli have made the money abailable for ONE big signing but they would be absolutely bonkers if they shot that one cartridge in his direction. The genuine stories coming from the San Paolo are that they're trying to convince Coutinho to move there from Barcelona. But the Brazilian if he moves, wants his destination to be the Premier League with Chelsea being touted as the favourite right now if rumours are to be believed (obviously if Chelsea manage to escape their ban).

• 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to James Rodríguez - Madrid-Bound...
  • Subscriber

That sounds very interesting that Atleti want to take a risk on James. I think he'd do well there just because there is no room for operating at a gear lower than what Simeone expects you to and from what I hear the offer runs at 40 million which I suppose will fall in their wheelhouse with all the money they're getting from Antoinne deal.

James is a top player. I thought he had lost his level but this past Copa America proved me otherwise. There is a reason Atletico Madrid wants him, and that's because he's genuinely world class.

1 hour ago, Grizzly21 said:

James is a top player. I thought he had lost his level but this past Copa America proved me otherwise. There is a reason Atletico Madrid wants him, and that's because he's genuinely world class.

What James has proved at the top end of club football in Europe is that he can’t take the pressure and chokes on the big stage at this level. It’s very different playing with your country and where you’re idolised mate. If the expectancies are modest at the club he’s plying his trade, then he tends to perform well but at the biggest clubs he’s been a failure.

Atlético Madrid is a good destination for him although the other club that have genuinely shown interest in Napoli, that would be his best move as the pressure is balanced. At Atleti believe it or not, they’re expected to compete to win everything they’re enlisted to play in. 

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

What James has proved at the top end of club football in Europe is that he can’t take the pressure and chokes on the big stage at this level. It’s very different playing with your country and where you’re idolised mate. If the expectancies are modest at the club he’s plying his trade, then he tends to perform well but at the biggest clubs he’s been a failure.

Atlético Madrid is a good destination for him although the other club that have genuinely shown interest in Napoli, that would be his best move as the pressure is balanced. At Atleti believe it or not, they’re expected to compete to win everything they’re enlisted to play in. 

He was excellent with Real Madrid before he was benched and in his first season at Bayern.

I just think his attitude is a problem, but in terms of ability he absolutely has it.

14 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

This is the second odd move that Atleti have made now. First Trippier and now James. Maybe they see something in these players that no one else does?

Not an odd move at all and hardly comparable to Trippier.

James has been a liability every second year of his time at his clubs, but get him clicking and he's one of the best players in the world. He showed this at the Copa America.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Grizzly21 said:

He was excellent with Real Madrid before he was benched and in his first season at Bayern.

I just think his attitude is a problem, but in terms of ability he absolutely has it.

He actually had a very good first season here, his second season he was benched and then played shit every chance he had, meanwhile all the rumours of him being unhappy where flying around left right and center all year. He has the capabilities but seems to be a bit of a flake with his attitude.

1 minute ago, Viva la FCB said:

He actually had a very good first season here, his second season he was benched and then played shit every chance he had, meanwhile all the rumours of him being unhappy where flying around left right and center all year. He has the capabilities but seems to be a bit of a flake with his attitude.

Agree 100%. The fame has gotten to him. His attitude is awful, but get him clicking and he's one of the best players in the world. Trippier on the other hand, can be a good player too but he's nowhere near elite, not even in his best.

It gets tiring hearing comparisons with El Hadji Diouf to James. One of them had good form in the World Cup and the other showed his class.

• Subscriber
27 minutes ago, Grizzly21 said:

Not an odd move at all and hardly comparable to Trippier.

James has been a liability every second year of his time at his clubs, but get him clicking and he's one of the best players in the world. He showed this at the Copa America.

If you take that kind of deal then you're pigeon-holing yourself into a one year potential break for your team and spending 40 million in the hopes he comes good in year two? Irrespective of his international success what is being considered here is his club-time and the fact that Atleti are throwing money on a player that could go totally shit in their second season. What then? Try and offload him to the next buyer and lose out on value? Hence the use of the word odd.

1 hour ago, Mel81x said:

If you take that kind of deal then you're pigeon-holing yourself into a one year potential break for your team and spending 40 million in the hopes he comes good in year two? Irrespective of his international success what is being considered here is his club-time and the fact that Atleti are throwing money on a player that could go totally shit in their second season. What then? Try and offload him to the next buyer and lose out on value? Hence the use of the word odd.

This will definitely be James’ final opportunity in Europe with the big clubs. His first year will now be wavered by critics because they’re not stupid and will wait for the following season. 

6 hours ago, Grizzly21 said:

Agree 100%. The fame has gotten to him. His attitude is awful, but get him clicking and he's one of the best players in the world. Trippier on the other hand, can be a good player too but he's nowhere near elite, not even in his best.

It gets tiring hearing comparisons with El Hadji Diouf to James. One of them had good form in the World Cup and the other showed his class.

Well he’s shown his class and then he becomes shit for a while, then rinse and repeat.

Guess he’s a good signing if you get the timing right. But hopefully he gets his career back on track and is consistently good. That one World Cup it looked like he was going to be one of the next big things, he got a big move... and then since then we’ve seen periods of him playing well and periods of him looking shite.

Unfortunately for me (although fortunately this year in the CL) I seem to only catch him when he’s not playing well. That magic power came in handy though this year, so I’m okay with it. But obviously if he can find that kind of form consistently, then that’s better for football overall.

16 hours ago, Mel81x said:

10 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Well he’s shown his class and then he becomes shit for a while, then rinse and repeat.

Guess he’s a good signing if you get the timing right. But hopefully he gets his career back on track and is consistently good. That one World Cup it looked like he was going to be one of the next big things, he got a big move... and then since then we’ve seen periods of him playing well and periods of him looking shite.

Unfortunately for me (although fortunately this year in the CL) I seem to only catch him when he’s not playing well. That magic power came in handy though this year, so I’m okay with it. But obviously if he can find that kind of form consistently, then that’s better for football overall.

This may sound very vague but if Atletico see a way they can make him work, it could be worth the gamble. The same could be said for Trippier but I think the difference here is that James is more likely to work. The former can be a decent attacking player if he works, but the latter is genuinely world class in terms of what he's capable of. Elite playmaker and can win games on his own. He proved to me at the Copa America that any problems he has at club level are based on attitude and I reckon Simeone could be the one to work that out.

It's not a given he will fail in the second season. What Atletico need to do is make sure that doesn't happen.

6 minutes ago, Grizzly21 said:

This may sound very vague but if Atletico see a way they can make him work, it could be worth the gamble. The same could be said for Trippier but I think the difference here is that James is more likely to work. The former can be a decent attacking player if he works, but the latter is genuinely world class in terms of what he's capable of. Elite playmaker and can win games on his own. He proved to me at the Copa America that any problems he has at club level are based on attitude and I reckon Simeone could be the one to work that out.

It's not a given he will fail in the second season. What Atletico need to do is make sure that doesn't happen.

I’ve actually seen a Trippier play consistently well tbh, I think he’ll do fine with Simeone

• Subscriber
12 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Dont worry he was shit all last season, not just against you lot xD

James Rodríguez has been informed that any negotiation he’s currently undergoing for a potential departure from Real Madrid will not be heard.

In short, James has been told by the club that he will be staying after the serious injury suffered by Marco Asensio.

James Rodríguez’ agent, Jorge Mendes when asked why his client’s move to Atlético Madrid hasn’t gone ahead;

”You journalists know who to aim your questions at. In the same vein as why Bale hasn’t moved, the same has happened here. Ask Florentino Pérez!”

• The title was changed to James Rodríguez Completes Move to Everton

Archived