talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

James Rodríguez Completes Move to Everton

On 25/05/2021 at 22:12, Dr. Gonzo said:

So... a season on and... what do we think?

Particularly my bluenose pals on here: @RandoEFC, @Whiskey, @Robbie.

I looked at the stats and... my belief that he'd get his career back on track this season being the man Everton's midfield was built around... I'm not sure that really happened with the 1 assist from open play he managed. And I can't really remember too much notable that's really happened other than that one screenshotted WhatsApp rumour that was flying around a few months ago xD

But the Evertonians will know better than me how he's actually been. From a rednose looking in... it seems like a pretty uneventful season from him.

How old is he now? I feel like his career has really just been one good World Cup, a move to Real Madrid where he was bombed out of the side... a loan to Bayern where was bombed out of the side... and then the chance to go to a "smaller club" to be the main man came around with Everton... and it's not really amounted to anything.

I know at the tail end of the season, he wasn't playing - and I'm not sure if that's due to injury or not. Everton did have a pretty miserable second half to the season - was that because of missing him in the side? Or unrelated to James entirely?

I remember once I called him overrated, for how he flopped at Real Madrid and Bayern Munich, but I was told by some people on here that I was wrong and being ignorant about him as a player because of the injuries he suffered (or some shite like that). But looking at the statistics... he does seem a bit overhyped compared to how he performed.

I think if James had continued to show as much drive and pride in the badge as he did when he came, we'd be laughing.

Comparing James versus West Brom in the second game of the season to James in any of our last ten games in which he featured shows two different players. There was the player we needed, albeit one who didn't like to track back. A leader. An inspiration for the younger players. Fitness problems aside, this is a player who gained a reputation as a world-beater at club level, and it's one I feel has played on his mind.

We aren't world beaters. James came for Ancelotti, not for the club. I look at Allan, Doucoure and Godfrey. I see their determination and growing passion for the club. I really don't feel that when I look at James.

He was a brilliant piece of business, especially on a free. That said, I'm very sceptical. I'd feel comfortable saying he's been alright. I wouldn't go near the hype any time soon though.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 months later...

Archived