talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Other News & General Chat

football forum

Employers should ‘crack down on laddish sports banter because it excludes women’

Sports banter at work can alienate women and football chat in particular risks becoming a gateway to ‘laddish behaviour’, the head of a major business organisation claimed today. Ann Francke, chief executive of Britain’s Chartered Management Institute (CMI) told BBC radio: ‘It’s very easy for it to escalate from VAR talk and chat to slapping each other on the back and talking about their conquests at the weekend.’ Francke said she was not calling for a ban on sports banter in the office or shop floor but felt there needed to be greater awareness and sensitivity towards female staff who might be excluded. She said managers had to do more to be inclusive and ensure everyone in the team felt comfortable. Ms Francke added: ‘A lot of women, in particular, feel left out. ‘They don’t follow those sports and they don’t like either being forced to talk about them or not being included.’ However, her comments have received a strong backlash.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/01/27/employers-crack-laddish-sports-banter-excludes-women-12133418/

See the source image

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Employers should ‘crack down on laddish sports banter because it excludes women’

Sports banter at work can alienate women and football chat in particular risks becoming a gateway to ‘laddish behaviour’, the head of a major business organisation claimed today. Ann Francke, chief executive of Britain’s Chartered Management Institute (CMI) told BBC radio: ‘It’s very easy for it to escalate from VAR talk and chat to slapping each other on the back and talking about their conquests at the weekend.’ Francke said she was not calling for a ban on sports banter in the office or shop floor but felt there needed to be greater awareness and sensitivity towards female staff who might be excluded. She said managers had to do more to be inclusive and ensure everyone in the team felt comfortable. Ms Francke added: ‘A lot of women, in particular, feel left out. ‘They don’t follow those sports and they don’t like either being forced to talk about them or not being included.’ However, her comments have received a strong backlash.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/01/27/employers-crack-laddish-sports-banter-excludes-women-12133418/

See the source image

Great, spent your whole lunch break trying to explain what the offside rule is. :ph34r:

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.e4d04670be5699c804bb0fe74d5cdb16.png

Streatham: Man shot by police after stabbings in London

download.thumb.png.5bf240b7db39fd8e6ebbd9e4278e12db.png

A man has been shot by armed officers in a "terrorist-related" incident in south London, the Met Police have said.

It is believed a number of people have been stabbed in the incident at Streatham High Road, police said.

Witnesses on social media have said they heard three gunshots fired just after 14:00 GMT on Sunday and people were being treated by doctors.

London Ambulance Service said it had a number of resources attending the incident.

One person tweeted: "Something major happening in Streatham High Road. Armed police and roads closed off".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-51349664

On 02/02/2020 at 15:44, CaaC (John) said:

Quote.thumb.png.e4d04670be5699c804bb0fe74d5cdb16.png

Streatham: Man shot by police after stabbings in London

download.thumb.png.5bf240b7db39fd8e6ebbd9e4278e12db.png

A man has been shot by armed officers in a "terrorist-related" incident in south London, the Met Police have said.

It is believed a number of people have been stabbed in the incident at Streatham High Road, police said.

Witnesses on social media have said they heard three gunshots fired just after 14:00 GMT on Sunday and people were being treated by doctors.

London Ambulance Service said it had a number of resources attending the incident.

One person tweeted: "Something major happening in Streatham High Road. Armed police and roads closed off".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-51349664

People are calling for tougher sentencing but in reality the issue is how they're being rehabilitated. Sticking someone in for longer than their crime warrants in fear of them committing that crime again (or in this case, a worse crime) only builds up resentment making it more likely that they'll reoffend. Also there are criminals who do their time and do then change their ways, that becomes less likely with unjustly long sentencing.

Rehabilitation while in prison is a lot more important than increasing the length of the sentence. An unpopular view I know.

Honestly, I don't regard dickheads like these as even being real terrorists. Just random wackos.

Someone who is serious would have planted a bomb(thank fuck they didn't of course) and would certainly not have been running around with a £2.99 butter knife. This man should be laughed at as he's had an absolute howler here if we're being honest.

Edited by Carnivore Chris

1 hour ago, 6666 said:

People are calling for tougher sentencing but in reality the issue is how they're being rehabilitated. Sticking someone in for longer than their crime warrants in fear of them committing that crime again (or in this case, a worse crime) only builds up resentment making it more likely that they'll reoffend. Also there are criminals who do their time and do then change their ways, that becomes less likely with unjustly long sentencing.

Rehabilitation while in prison is a lot more important than increasing the length of the sentence. An unpopular view I know.

Rehabilitating religious extremists basically requires cult deprogramming. And even if the attacker starts rejecting their religious extremist bullshit, they should still be held fully responsible for their crimes. Particularly violent knife crime, as is being reported here.

But overall, yeah - I agree with you that prison should be focused on rehabilitation (although that doesn't play well to voters, because a lot of people don't care about the effects of how we treat criminals as their view is "fuck em, they're criminals.") - but I do think the policies we put in place to "rehabilitate" should reflect the nature of the type of criminal they're trying to rehabilitate.

Because dealing with religious extremism isn't exactly the same as rehabilitating the average criminal.

3 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Rehabilitating religious extremists basically requires cult deprogramming. And even if the attacker starts rejecting their religious extremist bullshit, they should still be held fully responsible for their crimes. Particularly violent knife crime, as is being reported here.

But overall, yeah - I agree with you that prison should be focused on rehabilitation (although that doesn't play well to voters, because a lot of people don't care about the effects of how we treat criminals as their view is "fuck em, they're criminals.") - but I do think the policies we put in place to "rehabilitate" should reflect the nature of the type of criminal they're trying to rehabilitate.

Because dealing with religious extremism isn't exactly the same as rehabilitating the average criminal.

From what I read, he was 17 and downloaded some terrorist type documents but didn't get any further. I don't think it'd be that difficult to talk plans of killing innocent people out of him at that stage and at that age once you have him in custody especially with the involvement of people close to him, non-psycho religious leaders, psychiatrists, etc. That should be enough to undo being radicalised online. Don't know what the current protocol is though and maybe it works in most cases with others that are similar to him.

There is a discussion to be had though and how prison works should be reviewed but as you said, most people don't work like that so most politicians won't bring it up. Even though it actually means a safer country in the long term.

• Upvote 1

Prison doesn't work as a punitive experience either, except for the poor sods at the bottom of the pile and unable to tie themselves to whichever gang controls that particular prison. We need prison to be a far tougher and hard place for seasoned criminals to go but also somewhere where people who want to get a second chance can thrive, at the moment it is neither. Both the 'throw the book at them' and the lily livered liberals crying about sentencing aren't helping at all. 

Edited by The Artful Dodger

15 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Prison doesn't work as a punitive experience either, except for the poor sods at the bottom of the pile and unable to tie themselves to whichever gang controls that particular prison. We need prison to be a far tougher and hard place for seasoned criminals to go but also somewhere where people who want to get a second chance can thrive, at the moment it is neither. Both the 'throw the book at them' and the lily livered liberals crying about sentencing aren't helping at all. 

I think violent criminals should be treated more harshly than nonviolent ones tbh. And I’d treat sex crimes the same as violent crimes

• Subscriber

Top story on a lot of radio stations and news channels is Phillip Schofield has come out as gay on an Instagram post and has been chatting to Holly on This Morning about it. He's married with kids and his wife and children have been very supportive.

• Administrator
58 minutes ago, Pyfish said:

Top story on a lot of radio stations and news channels is Phillip Schofield has come out as gay on an Instagram post and has been chatting to Holly on This Morning about it. He's married with kids and his wife and children have been very supportive.

It did surprise me to be fair. 

Good on him though - open and honest about it and chose his own time to announce it. 

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Stan said:

Good on him though - open and honest about it and chose his own time to announce it. 

That's how it should be! Been watching the clips from This Morning and Holly is such a good friend to him and it really shows. That's not just an on-screen friendship.

• Subscriber

Quite surprised he came out like that on the show but good on him I suppose, better than keeping it quiet and the tabloid press like the Sun & Star hearing about it from somewhere else and then plastering it all over their front pages as a scoop just to sell their papers. 

This story (it's behind a paywall, so you might not be able to get to it) is pretty interesting. It's the story of how for 50 years nations have been paying a Swiss crypto company to protect it's secrets. But it was in fact a CIA & German Intelligence agencies front & they were collecting national secrets from other countries & stealing their money. https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/national-security/cia-crypto-encryption-machines-espionage/?utm_campaign=wp_post_most&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most

• Upvote 1

On 07/02/2020 at 10:50, Pyfish said:

On 07/02/2020 at 11:48, Stan said:

On 07/02/2020 at 13:30, CaaC (John) said:

Quite surprised he came out like that on the show but good on him I suppose, better than keeping it quiet and the tabloid press like the Sun & Star hearing about it from somewhere else and then plastering it all over their front pages as a scoop just to sell their papers. 

Is it just me or do these announcements always seem to be well timed to garner as much sympathy as possible and always at a time when they seem to be in the public eye for other negative reasons?? 

He has recently been getting a lot flack about his behind the scenes attitude and had a few official complaints put in about him and suddenly he comes out as gay?? I mean could his face have looked any more sad or needy.. could it??? 

Also Prince Harry has just decided to suddenly declare that he has been receiving 7 years worth of therapy relating to his mothers death, again coming at a time when they as a couple are getting a lot of negative flack for other reasons... maybe I am being a tad harsh or maybe it all just seems to be designed to manipulate a negative into some kind of positive to be getting the publics sympathy vote.. 

Well I ain't buying it... 

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber
32 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Is it just me or do these announcements always seem to be well timed to garner as much sympathy as possible and always at a time when they seem to be in the public eye for other negative reasons?? 

He has recently been getting a lot flack about his behind the scenes attitude and had a few official complaints put in about him and suddenly he comes out as gay?? I mean could his face have looked any more sad or needy.. could it??? 

Also Prince Harry has just decided to suddenly declare that he has been receiving 7 years worth of therapy relating to his mothers death, again coming at a time when they as a couple are getting a lot of negative flack for other reasons... maybe I am being a tad harsh or maybe it all just seems to be designed to manipulate a negative into some kind of positive to be getting the publics sympathy vote.. 

Well I ain't buying it... 

It does seem highly convenient in both of those cases but I'd like to think somebody wouldn't stoop so low to do that? 

Edited by Pyfish

• The title was changed to Other News & General Chat