talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Other News & General Chat

football forum

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

fellow sports journalists, young and old, don't do enough to cut this stuff out. 

The whole nation, clubs and companies has launched announcements on it. Honestly if I'm told that there is a country in South America with worse discrimination than Peru I won't believe it.

Edited by Guest

17 hours ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

Philip Butters (Peruvian journalist) on his show said this about Ecuadorians and Felipe Caicedo

"Ecuadorians are just crocodiles in altitude. Felipe Caicedo is a monkey, a gorilla."

Hit worldwide news. At least in all Spanish speaking nations.

And people wonder why we don't improve as a nation.

Was it an intentionally racist comment? For instance I could take that two ways 'You are a gorilla because you're Ecuadorian' versus 'You are a gorilla because you are unrefined and stupid'. 

I'm always cautious about the 'racist' label these days, it gets thrown around a lot to the point that everything is reduced to racism. 

3 minutes ago, Spike said:

Was it an intentionally racist comment? For instance I could take that two ways 'You are a gorilla because you're Ecuadorian' versus 'You are a gorilla because you are unrefined and stupid'. 

I'm always cautious about the 'racist' label these days, it gets thrown around a lot to the point that everything is reduced to racism. 

Knowing us Peruvians, I'd say he was being racist. Its not the first time I've heard one of us call them "crocodiles" or "gorillas".

Unfortunately, this is the first time I've heard such a comment on live TV.

1 minute ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

Knowing us Peruvians, I'd say he was being racist. Its not the first time I've heard one of us call them "crocodiles" or "gorillas".

Unfortunately, this is the first time I've heard such a comment on live TV.

Racism is unfortunately a lot more common than we think it is, and I'd wager most of them aren't the type to wear it on their sleeve. A lot of the time (well at least in my experience) a lot of the racism I've witnessed is from people that aren't sincerely racist, they just let slip something stupid that they didn't actually mean, trying to insult someone for instance.

I don't disagree. I think racism is thrown out more than it is these days. Especially when it comes to us with Ecuadorians. Historically we refer to them as monkeys, and they refer to us as chickens. However, Butters referred Caicedo to a "human gorilla" and calling them crocodiles is a bit overboard too. If I ever call them monkeys with my family or friends for instance they'll know I'm saying it in a friendly way like I did at the last world cup. However even that I wouldn't say it on live TV because its not the moral thing to say.

4 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

This will no doubt get construed as me being racist but calling somebody a crocodile being racist? Fuck off! It's hardly the N word is it

Well it is culturally relative isn't it? A Sudanese man probably won't find 'nigger' very offensive because it isn't culturally relebant to him. Just kinda like you wouldn't find 'gweilo' that offensive if a Cantonese person said it.

10 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

This will no doubt get construed as me being racist but calling somebody a crocodile being racist? Fuck off! It's hardly the N word is it

I'm sorry to break this to you, but we don't speak English.

2 hours ago, Spike said:

Well it is culturally relative isn't it? A Sudanese man probably won't find 'nigger' very offensive because it isn't culturally relebant to him. Just kinda like you wouldn't find 'gweilo' that offensive if a Cantonese person said it.

Likening to animals though, do you see New Zealander's getting offended by Kiwi or Saffers with Springbok? I think it's being overly sensitive I don't see that as racist in the slightest. 

2 hours ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

I'm sorry to break this to you, but we don't speak English.

I'm very aware of Peru's diversity and various languages, I actually have just watched a documentary this evening about a town that have a mass brawl once a year in Peru. 

• Subscriber

If you insult or discriminate against someone because of their race, that is racism. 

People are always on the lookout for racism nowadays though. It's like at a football match, it's almost a reflex to shout handball without thinking whenever the ball hits a player pretty much anyway in the upper body. Likewise, if anyone insults someone of an ethnic 'minority' with anything that could even be vaguely construed as being down to their race, sometimes not even that, people scream racism without even thinking about whether it actually is or not.

Half the stuff that gets branded racist is far from actual racism and it's clouded the actual definition of the word. 

Edited by RandoEFC

28 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Likening to animals though, do you see New Zealander's getting offended by Kiwi or Saffers with Springbok? I think it's being overly sensitive I don't see that as racist in the slightest. 

I'm very aware of Peru's diversity and various languages, I actually have just watched a documentary this evening about a town that have a mass brawl once a year in Peru. 

Just because it applies to one case doesn't mean it applies to another. Dog for instance is an insult in Australia but an endearing term in the USA.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

A police officer in Venezuela has taken a helicopter and fired grenades and gunshots towards the Venezuelan Supreme Court

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-40426642

Venezuela's Supreme Court has been attacked by grenades dropped from a helicopter in what President Nicolás Maduro called a "terrorist attack".

Footage on social media shows a police helicopter circling over the city before shots and a loud bang are heard.

The police officer said to have piloted the stolen aircraft issued a statement denouncing the "criminal government". His whereabouts are unknown.

It comes after mass protests against the political and economic crisis.

The Supreme Court is regularly criticised by the Venezuelan opposition for its rulings which bolster Mr Maduro's hold on power.

What happened?

In an address from the presidential palace, President Maduro said the helicopter had flown over the Supreme Court and also the justice and interior ministries.

Officials quoted by Reuters news agency said four grenades were dropped on the court and 15 shots had been fired at the interior ministry.

No injuries were reported but Mr Maduro said "a social event" had been taking place at the Supreme Court and the attack could have caused "dozens of deaths". One of the grenades failed to detonate, he added.

Mr Maduro has placed the military on alert.

"I have activated the entire armed forces to defend the peace," he said. "Sooner or later, we are going to capture that helicopter and those who carried out this terror attack."

Who flew the helicopter?

The police officer identified himself as Oscar Pérez in video statements posted on the social media platform Instagram.

Appearing in military fatigues and flanked by armed, masked men in uniform, he appealed to Venezuelans to oppose "tyranny".

"We are a coalition of military employees, policemen and civilians who are looking for balance and are against this criminal government," he said.

"We don't belong to any political tendency or party. We are nationalists, patriots and institutionalists."

He said the "fight" was not against the security forces but "against the impunity of this government. It is against tyranny".

It is not clear how much support, if any, the officer has.

Mr Maduro said the pilot had worked for former Interior and Justice Minister Miguel Rodriguez Torres, but was no longer with him.

• 5 weeks later...

Iraqi gunman has killed two and wounded 3 in a nightclub in konstanz Germany. On Friday a failed asylum seeker and known Islamist killed 1 and injured several others in a knife attack in Hamburg, his motive was "mental illness" apparently. 

So why are we being conditioned to accept this in Europe? 2 years ago this would be headline news it's only getting small column inches now. Is this even big news in Germany?

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Other News & General Chat
  • The topic was pinned