talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Other News & General Chat

football forum

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

The bloke must have been on crack... Only the captain of the Titanic as had a worse day at sea than this bloke... 

The same vessel was already involved in another incident a few years back when it hit a ferry boat in Hamburg. I wonder if it was the same captain... xD 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nudge said:

The same vessel was already involved in another incident a few years back when it hit a ferry boat in Hamburg. I wonder if it was the same captain... xD 

I read that yesterday too and wondered the same thing. No way to look that up though, I think.

• Subscriber
20 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I read that yesterday too and wondered the same thing. No way to look that up though, I think.

No chance to find out the names, but a quick search shows that in both incidents, the captain was Indian - that doesn't indicate that it's the same person though. The captain who crashed into the ferry in Hamburg was 39 years old, so if the current captain is 40/41/42, then it could be the same person... need to do more digging :D 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, nudge said:

No chance to find out the names, but a quick search shows that in both incidents, the captain was Indian - that doesn't indicate that it's the same person though. The captain who crashed into the ferry in Hamburg was 39 years old, so if the current captain is 40/41/42, then it could be the same person... need to do more digging :D 

Indian huh? Probably heavily influenced by Bollywood physics then. 

physics_is_not_allowed_to_enter_bollywoo

I just wonder if the operators of the canal had a contingency plan for such an event, and if so whether it was something they actively maintained and took seriously that it would one day be used in earnest.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Harry said:

I just wonder if the operators of the canal had a contingency plan for such an event, and if so whether it was something they actively maintained and took seriously that it would one day be used in earnest.

You generally find that the disappointing answer to such questions is generally no, and no. 

30 minutes ago, Harry said:

I think it’s pretty clear they didn’t have a plan, or at least didn’t have a good one

41 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think it’s pretty clear they didn’t have a plan, or at least didn’t have a good one

My guess is they'd have one, but over time they paid less attention to it, and some of the equipment they'd have had sitting in standby to mobilise for that event will have fallen into disrepair, as staff saw it as something would never actually happen.

In my role at work we have plans like that for failures of major assets, and thankfully they get taken seriously. 

Dams, major water and sewer arterials, treatment plants, documents covering planned response to scenarios like statewide blackout, bushfire, cyber attack, terrorism, catastrophic failure, etc. However they can still be pretty grim scenarios, as the perfect contingency plan is something that nobody would be willing to pay for given it may never be used. I.e. dual supply pipelines, fun redundancy in the sewer system, etc.

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Harry said:

7 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

You generally find that the disappointing answer to such questions is generally no, and no. 

6 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

They've kept the old canal open but I doubt it was for if something like this ever happened. So ships can go through but still at a much slower rate apparently. I wonder what kind of cargo is on that Ever Given ship or what's being blocked either side because they're too far through and can't go back... 

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, McAzeem said:

Why did they made the cannal so narrow knowing what size of ships are there? :coffee:

Cos the ships are meant to go straight through and not turn around in those parts...?

8 hours ago, Harry said:

The prime reason Egypt is under constant coups and dictators is bcz of Suez Canal would be a joke if the CIA didn't invest in such situations than they do in coups.

2 hours ago, McAzeem said:

Why did they made the cannal so narrow knowing what size of ships are there? :coffee:

I think they dug it out a long time ago before even containers had been invented - we had boats then and now we have ships and although many young people used the boats carelessly, now we have older idiots in charge - and that's not even thinking about politics!:219_fisherman_fishing_at_a_lake:  ! was 2 days into my square bashing in 1956 when an idiot named Eden decided to invade Egypt and block the Canal but he had to sink boats 'cos there were not any big enough to block it -  we were woken up at 2am and told we were going to Egypt that week!  Not true, but the smell of poo was awful!:P

Edited by SchalkeUK
  • Thanks 1