talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Other News & General Chat

football forum

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

This is crazy stuff.... 

A woman has won $5.2m (£4.1m) from an insurance firm after claiming she contracted a sexually transmitted infection in a car it had a policy on.

The claimant, a woman from Missouri only being identified as MO, says she had sex with her partner in a car insured by the company Geico.

According to court documents, she claims this resulted in her catching HPV (human papillomavirus) because the man failed to tell her he had the infection.

HPV can lead to cervical cancer if left untreated and can also result in genital warts.

In February last year MO told Geico, a firm based in Maryland, she planned to sue them for $1m because the man's policy with them should have covered for her "injuries and losses".

Geico refused to pay out for the settlement, instead claiming her "injury" did not occur as a result of "normal use of the vehicle".

An arbitrator later ruled she should be given $5.2m in damages.

The woman then filed a motion to Jackson County Court seeking to claim her damages money.

On Thursday a three-judge panel of the Missouri Court of Appeals upheld her claim after various appeals by Geico.

But the firm says it is planning a federal lawsuit to argue the woman was not covered by her boyfriend's insurance policy.

In a statement on Thursday Geico said the lawsuit would determine if "there is coverage in this matter".

Are you me? I just read the exact same story before login onto the forum a minute ago xD 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, MUFC said:

I'm never sure what to make of this kind of story.

I'm not especially Christian other than celebrating Christmas & Easter.

But when I see Christian movies, whether it's Ten Commandments, Greatest Story Ever Told, or through to more recent Noah, Exodus, etc.. and even the more silly ones like Bedazzled, Bruce Almighty or that 1 with Alanis Morrisette as God, I always tend to think: oh well it's an interesting, thought provoking movie for anyone of any level of interest.

I guess stories like this do make me feel a bit sad. Because I'd be open to see & enjoy similar movies of other religions stories. And I feel there would be more cultural benefits than any negatives if there were a few such movies TV channels could show at certain times of year, etc.

• Upvote 1

Swimming's world governing body has voted to effectively ban transgender athletes from competing in women's elite races.

FINA will explore establishing an "open" category for them in some events as part of its new policy.

The move will require transgender competitors to have completed their transition by the age of 12 in order to be able to compete in women's competitions.

The policy was passed with a roughly 71% majority after it was put to the members of 152 national federations with voting rights who had gathered for the congress at the Puskas Arena.

On 06/01/2022 at 08:41, Aladdin said:

Staring a counter of all the attempted coups around the world since Biden took office.

• Myanmar: 11 days in office
  • Haiti: 2 weeks and 3 days in office
  • Armenia: 1 month and 5 days in office 
  • Jordan: 3 months, 2 weeks and one day in office
  • Tunisia: 6 months and 6 days in office
  • Afghanistan: 7 months, 3 weeks and 1 day in office
  • Guinea: 7 months, 2 weeks and 2 days in office
  • Sudan: 8 months and 5 days in office 
  • Solomon Islands: 10 months and 1 week in office
  • Kazakhstan: 11 months and 6 days in office
  • Burkina Faso: 1 year and 4 days in office

Stay tuned...

Good for them... 

The boss of the US media company Paramount has said he does not want to remove historic programmes from his new subscription streaming service because they no longer meet current expectations.

Bob Bakish, Paramount’s CEO, said his company had thousands of shows in its back catalogue. “By definition, you have some things that were made in a different time and reflect different sensibilities,” he said. “I don’t believe in censoring art that was made historically, that’s probably a mistake. It’s all on demand – you don’t have to watch anything you don’t want to.”

Streaming companies have struggled with how to adapt to modern cultural expectations when it comes to archive shows, with BritBox and the BBC’s iPlayer among those removing content that is no longer deemed appropriate for modern tastes.

Paramount: we won’t remove content from eras with ‘different sensibilities’ (msn.com)

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Bluewolf said:

Good for them... 

The boss of the US media company Paramount has said he does not want to remove historic programmes from his new subscription streaming service because they no longer meet current expectations.

Bob Bakish, Paramount’s CEO, said his company had thousands of shows in its back catalogue. “By definition, you have some things that were made in a different time and reflect different sensibilities,” he said. “I don’t believe in censoring art that was made historically, that’s probably a mistake. It’s all on demand – you don’t have to watch anything you don’t want to.”

Streaming companies have struggled with how to adapt to modern cultural expectations when it comes to archive shows, with BritBox and the BBC’s iPlayer among those removing content that is no longer deemed appropriate for modern tastes.

Paramount: we won’t remove content from eras with ‘different sensibilities’ (msn.com)

Good - I agree with that. I think it's a bit weird to hold things from a different time to today's standards. The most these companies should do is put a notice that says "hey you might get offended by this because it's older and the world was different, just remember it's older" but... better worded than what I just typed out.

13 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Good - I agree with that. I think it's a bit weird to hold things from a different time to today's standards. The most these companies should do is put a notice that says "hey you might get offended by this because it's older and the world was different, just remember it's older" but... better worded than what I just typed out.

I don't have a problem with those that get offended as it's their problem to deal with but I do object when those same people are throwing tons of objection and emotion into forcing companies into banning stuff that is clearly out of date or out of touch with modern thinking... Sure some things from the past were unacceptable that's how we learn to change but I do object to others dictating what it is I can or cannot watch based on what they may deem appropriate viewing.. More of this type of thing would be welcome elsewhere

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

I don't have a problem with those that get offended as it's their problem to deal with but I do object when those same people are throwing tons of objection and emotion into forcing companies into banning stuff that is clearly out of date or out of touch with modern thinking... Sure some things from the past were unacceptable that's how we learn to change but I do object to others dictating what it is I can or cannot watch based on what they may deem appropriate viewing.. More of this type of thing would be welcome elsewhere

Yeah, I agree with that fully. I think it's mental that some people expect things made decades ago to conform to modern day standards when really in the last 10 years alone there's been a lot of change to what's considered socially acceptable and what isn't. And it's also mental to just suggest that people not watch films, TV, or listen to music made decades ago because it doesn't comply with modern standards either. 

• Upvote 3

There are always those that have to go a bit far.... I would love to sit down with those decision makers and ask what their thinking was behind this idea?? 

Mossley Hollins High School in Greater Manchester (Picture: MEN Media)

A school near Manchester has banned its pupils from any physical contact with each other whatsoever, including hugging and play fighting.

Mossley Hollins High School brought in the ‘no contact’ rule stating that ‘no student should ever be touching another student’.

This includes a ban on ‘carrying of other students, cuddling, or play fighting’, including during their breaktime and lunch hour, saying this will ‘not be tolerated’.

The school on Huddersfield Road in Greater Manchester said it had brought in the rule to ‘further improve our positive school culture’.

School bans hugging as part of zero-tolerance policy to physical contact (msn.com)

• Wow 1

• Subscriber
On 22/06/2022 at 16:15, Aladdin said:

900+ dead in Afghanistan after earthquake. I felt some shocks last night in bed but I thought I was imagining, there are have quite a few lately I think its just me. 

Over a 1000 dead now, and at least 1600 injured and over 3000 houses destroyed. Some of the affected regions don't have access to drinkable water, food and shelter. So sad.

• Sad 2

Just now, nudge said:

Over a 1000 dead now, and at least 1600 injured and over 3000 houses destroyed. Some of the affected regions don't have access to drinkable water, food and shelter. So sad.

It's always those regions that already have it so hard. Heartbreaking. :/ 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Tommy said:

It's always those regions that already have it so hard. Heartbreaking. :/ 

Yeah... Can't catch a break.

We have a saying "Trouble never walks alone", and thinking about it just made me realise that most of the cultures and languages have some sort of equivalent of the same idiom. 

27 minutes ago, nudge said:

Yeah... Can't catch a break.

We have a saying "Trouble never walks alone", and thinking about it just made me realise that most of the cultures and languages have some sort of equivalent of the same idiom. 

Ein Unglück kommt selten allein! 🤔

• Upvote 1

Not sure how to attach links, but New Zealand have just celebrated Matariki, the Maori new year. With their first ever national holiday for it. I was watching the YouTube stream of the New Zealand TV coverage & found it quite moving that 1 of the singers had tears streaming down her face.

It was nice to find somewhere that seems to be in its own positivity bubble. A refreshing change from Russia-Ukraine, Brexit Britain, Indian diggers, Chinese education of citizens, or keep the rapists babies USA.

• Upvote 1

On 23 June,  all COVID 19 regulations ended in South Africa.   If only they can do something about Privatising our electrical grid to stop it going the way South African Airways, Telkom, Transnet, The Post Office did after becoming state entities.    Had another week of level 2 load shedding,  2x2hour outages in a day,  that is the smell of progress. 

• Sad 1

This was the funniest saga of the last month.   Ryanair making South African passport holders take Afrikaans tests to prove they are South African due to alleged "fake passports".   Passangers that refused the test would be denied boarding leading to a rather unnecessary but extremely funny discrimination claim against Ryanair.    sanity prevailed and they dropped the test. 

https://www.euronews.com/travel/2022/06/16/ryanair-s-test-for-south-africans-branded-insane-and-discriminatory-by-aviation-expert

When immigrants come into the country and are prepared to work even for less just to earn a living which was far better than the one they had where they immigrated from.   In true ubuntu fashion we found a solution to that,  we will just murder them.

https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2022-06-27-the-rise-of-xenophobia-is-south-africas-road-to-ruin/

In other news South Africa is reversing full speed into the pre-anglo-boer war days were basic facilities won't exist,  due to government corruption for about 28 years the state owned (formally a flourishing privatised entity) now bankrupt to the tune of 300bn Rand (about 30 quid) and with the grid on the brink of a nightmarish collapse we may have to continue these debates by pigeons. 

https://www.enca.com/news/sa-moving-towards-total-blackout-says-energy-analyst

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/6/28/south-africa-could-see-repeat-of-worst-ever-power-cuts