talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Other News & General Chat

football forum

12 hours ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

No surprise. All three coalition partners did expressly endorse legalization during their election campaign.:)

Good on them. Another reason why Germany is more progressive than England. 

5 hours ago, Tommy said:

It doesn't concern me, but nice. 

It could concern you actually mate. It will improve your economy massively and you already have a great one, or atleast did before Covid.

• Upvote 2

On 30/07/2022 at 06:08, Aladdin said:

I still don't understand why China cares so much. She's not the first person from the US congress (or even Speaker of the House) to travel to Taiwan.

Tbh, I think it makes China look like a bit of a paper tiger and I'm not sure they want to be entrenched in a war over Taiwan and get bogged down in a conflict where a much larger military ends up struggling against a smaller military armed by NATO (and most likely other South Asian countries), the way Russia's found their war in Ukraine gone.

I get that they want Taiwan's semiconductor industry... but I'm not sure they'll get it (at least without having the infrastructure of those industries completely decimated in a war) by acting the way they've been acting.

And ultimately, it's bad for business (which tbh, so are China's current covid policies) - which I think is strange China would want to jeopardise that, considering making goods for the rest of the world is what got them to be a genuine superpower.

Because if it were me in charge of the decision making for these multinational companies... I think these sorts of statements from China would have me thinking "well, this looks like it might very well end up with China becoming another pariah state - perhaps it's time to transition out of China" and there are countries like Indonesia, India, Pakistan, Turkey, etc... that I think would be quite keen to see western companies move manufacturing out of China to them.

The Western world probably needs to be looking more carefully at who they're doing business with. European energy dependence with Russia has Europe wanting to be harsher on Russia for it's invasion and destabilisation of the continent... but really unable to make the steps they'd want to make because... they're dependent on Russia for energy. China's sort of got global manufacturing by the balls right now and are getting increasingly hostile with regard to Taiwan and wanting control over the semi-conductor industry... and if China invades Taiwan, the strongest reaction would be to uproot what made China so strong in the first place.

But they can't do that if China's got the manufacturing industry by the balls.

• Upvote 1

On 11/08/2022 at 11:55, OrangeKhrush said:

I read a story that the greens in Germany are endorsing a push for a German version of the "missinformation board" which allows citizens to rat on people that don't share their views.   How Nazi of them

Don't know, where you got this information from. The only thing mentioned in German media is that Grüne want to oblige social media like eg facebook to publish a revocation if a user post  proven fabricated pseudo-facts, like the German press already is obliged to.

Edited by Rucksackfranzose
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

Aye, just spotted it.

Novelist Salman Rushdie stabbed in neck on stage

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-62524833

431f5287-b7ee-48aa-94a7-390c2cf9ca87.png

I actually didn't know there was a financial incentive involved in going after Rushdie. I was wondering why anyone would still care about a controversy from so long ago.

Obviously that might've been an irrelevant factor though. Could be someone suffering from extreme tribalism when it comes to their group. Learning not to live in an echo chamber that's placed inside a bubble is probably the most important thing a person can learn.

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Don't know, where you got this information from. The only thing mentioned in German media is that Grüne want to oblige social media like eg facebook to publish a revocation if a user post  proven fabricated pseudo-facts, like the German press already is obliged to.

"information" is generous of you. He lives in another universe where facts are subjective. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, 6666 said:

I actually didn't know there was a financial incentive involved in going after Rushdie.

You didn't know? bloody hell, that was a big thing at the time, 

"The fatwa called for the killing of anyone involved in the publication of the book and offered rewards to those who took part in the murders. That fatwa has never formally been rescinded."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-62524922

On 11/08/2022 at 11:55, OrangeKhrush said:

I read a story that the greens in Germany are endorsing a push for a German version of the "missinformation board" which allows citizens to rat on people that don't share their views.   How Nazi of them

Where'd your read that? On a bench in the park?

• Administrator
On 13/08/2022 at 00:00, CaaC (John) said:

You didn't know? bloody hell, that was a big thing at the time, 

"The fatwa called for the killing of anyone involved in the publication of the book and offered rewards to those who took part in the murders. That fatwa has never formally been rescinded."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-62524922

I'm guessing because it was so long ago that he didn't know. 

We're not all as old as you :ph34r:

On 11/08/2022 at 10:55, OrangeKhrush said:

Depends what it is. If people are sharing false information about climate change there is nothing wrong with it 

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, nudge said:

How does she dare to have fun and be a normal person with private life and a decent work-life balance! 

Exactly! First time in a while where I've said to myself 'some people just want to watch the world burn'.

Let her have a bit of fun! It's not illegal (unlike some PMs having parties), and it's not bad to have a sing and a dance at a party ffs xD 

The fact she is even asked to justify it by media and other MPs is a joke in itself too. 

Nah, understand people criticising it. Too crazy moves for an office holder to do on camera, there are people she precedes over who would be fired or suspended doing the same: bureaucrats, military etc. Kinda of a unwritten code that comes with the position.

Agree to disagree, thank you.