talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Other News & General Chat

football forum

1 minute ago, nudge said:

At least 162 dead, several hundreds injured and thousands displaced after a 5.6 magnitude earthquake hit Java today :( 

Fuck me that's a huge death toll. It's not even THAT strong of an earthquake, which tells you all about the infrastructure in these places. It always hits those who already have it tough. :/ 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Sad developments in Indonesia. The western media seems to be focusing on the laws making pre-marital sex and cohabitation illegal, and while it's definitely bad, the other new laws are way, way worse than that.

Insulting the president, state institutions and government officials is now a crime which carries a prison sentence of up to 4 years. Protests and demonstrations without permit are now criminalised, participants can be imprisoned for up to 6 months. The new treason law carries a death penalty. Spreading any ideology that runs counter to the national ideology (Pancasila) is now banned and punishable by up to 10 years in prison. Blasphemy laws are expanded, and apostasy can now be charged as a criminal offense, carrying a prison sentence of up to 4 years. Reporting and spreading news that "can be suspected" to be misinformation or cause public unrest is punishable by up to 6 years in prison. 

At the same time though, the new laws will include more lenient sentences for those charged with corruption. You can't make this shit up.

• Wow 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, nudge said:

Sad developments in Indonesia. The western media seems to be focusing on the laws making pre-marital sex and cohabitation illegal, and while it's definitely bad, the other new laws are way, way worse than that.

Insulting the president, state institutions and government officials is now a crime which carries a prison sentence of up to 4 years. Protests and demonstrations without permit are now criminalised, participants can be imprisoned for up to 6 months. The new treason law carries a death penalty. Spreading any ideology that runs counter to the national ideology (Pancasila) is now banned and punishable by up to 10 years in prison. Blasphemy laws are expanded, and apostasy can now be charged as a criminal offense, carrying a prison sentence of up to 4 years. Reporting and spreading news that "can be suspected" to be misinformation or cause public unrest is punishable by up to 6 years in prison. 

At the same time though, the new laws will include more lenient sentences for those charged with corruption. You can't make this shit up.

That's outrageous... what a nightmare for it's people

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, nudge said:

Thought Indonesia were one of the more open minded societies in that area. Guess I was wrong, either that or I 'll have to take a new look on the comparative values  in this part of the world.¬¬

Even the the existence of blasphemy laws seems to me like a reason to avoid a state. More lenience towards corruption is the icing on the cake, though.

Edited by Rucksackfranzose
  • Upvote 2

• Subscriber
23 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Thought Indonesia were one of the more open minded societies in that area. Guess I was wrong, either that or I 'll have to take a new look on the comparative values  in this part of the world.¬¬

Even the the existence of blasphemy laws seems to me like a reason to avoid a state. More lenience towards corruption is the icing on the cake, though.

You're not really wrong, they were indeed seen as one of the most secular and liberal societies in the region. After Suharto's autocratic rule was over in the late 90s, the country underwent a period of reformations and a largely successful transition to a functioning democracy with free and fair elections, more political and civil liberties, proliferation of independent media, decentralisation, and a largely tolerant, religiously-moderate society. All of that made it a leading (even if flawed) democracy in the region and Muslim world. Well, except Aceh, which is ruled under Sharia law, but that was an exception. However, the process started stagnating at some point, and now it appears it has been in decline for several years, with hardliner religious groups gaining more influence, and government utilising that to cement their own power. So in other words, another failure to separate religion and state. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
  • Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Tommy said:

That is beyond fucked up. 

Yeah... I'm all for euthanasia/assisted suicide for terminally ill people who suffer, but this looks more like putting down desperate people who can't afford living.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, nudge said:

Yeah... I'm all for euthanasia/assisted suicide for terminally ill people who suffer, but this looks more like putting down desperate people who can't afford living.

It's really difficult to fathom. How is that even legal? Perfectly healthy people. Just what the fuck. 

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Tommy said:

Just curious. How come?

Our news is all owned by basically one corporation outside of one network and their doing their best to get rid of that one. Idk entirely though maybe just because it's a bit depressing? The US is too but the politics is a like a car accident and it's more entertaining because all I can do is watch. Although it's trickling down here in the last few years.