talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Other News & General Chat

football forum

• Subscriber
26 minutes ago, Beelzebub said:

NASA called on a meeting of theologians last year about the reaction of public on possible existence of aliens and now these strange objects being shot down.

That's actually not quite true, it got distorted in the media. There was a study conducted by the Center of Theological Inquiry, a non-profit theological institute in Princeton which looked into the potential societal impact of finding life beyond Earth, and NASA provided a grant to the researchers (which included some theologians, too). It also didn't happen last year, but rather in 2015-2017. 

However, there is currently an attempt to come up with an official protocol for alien contact, and it's being worked on by the SETI Detection Hub. More details here: https://www.space.com/alien-contact-protocol.html

• Upvote 1

I figure if aliens have the technology to get here and they want to invade us we are fucked. If they have the technology to get here surely they have better weapons if they are hostile. It is possible aliens may think we need conquering for are own good xD

They could be watching us thinking leave those muppets alone more trouble than their worth xD

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Stan said:

Because aliens don't exist. 

Genuine question - you strongly believe that life doesn't exist anywhere outside of Earth? I'm not talking about intelligent life forms specifically, but rather life in general, even in the most primitive forms. 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

What's your proof that they do?

Most scientists think there probably is other life in the universe. Them coming to earth is a different matter. You can think it's possible but to convince others you need proof. I haven't seen an real evidence they have come to earth.  But it's possible 

Just now, nudge said:

Genuine question - you strongly believe that life doesn't exist anywhere outside of Earth? I'm not talking about intelligent life forms specifically, but rather life in general, even in the most primitive forms. 

One thing I've wondered. If the chances of life forming on one planet are billions to one. Then doesn't that mean it's likely that life forming on another planet will be thousands or even millions of lightyears away? Because the chances of two planets being able to support life being close enough together to get to would be trillions to one? 

That's why I'm skeptical of aliens visiting earth because I would imagine they would be so far away they wouldn't be able to get here. Unless they have found a way to go faster than light 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Gunnersaurus said:

One thing I've wondered. If the chances of life forming on one planet are billions to one. Then doesn't that mean it's likely that life forming on another planet will be thousands or even millions of lightyears away? Because the chances of two planets being able to support life being close enough together to get to would be trillions to one? 

That's why I'm skeptical of aliens visiting earth because I would imagine they would be so far away they wouldn't be able to get here. Unless they have found a way to go faster than light 

Yes, even if there's intelligent life out there, it's extremely unlikely bordering to impossible that we would ever be able to make contact. Constant expansion of the universe makes it even less likely. 

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, nudge said:

Other (limited?) life forms, perhaps.

But not aliens.

7 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Most scientists think there probably is other life in the universe. Them coming to earth is a different matter. You can think it's possible but to convince others you need proof. I haven't seen an real evidence they have come to earth.  But it's possible 

Likewise, you can think it's possible but to convince others you need proof. So in terms of aliens, what proof is there that they exist?

When it comes to scientists or astrologists, they can spot meteors and asteroids or other objects coming 'close' to Earth, but funny how they never seem able to spot the aliens coming to our planet.

I'm not being obtuse or awkward here by the way. I just strongly believe that aliens don't exist and it doesn't even come into play with these 'balloons' appearing in USA/Canada. 

Just now, nudge said:

Yes, even if there's intelligent life out there, it's extremely unlikely bordering to impossible that we would ever be able to make contact. Constant expansion of the universe makes it even less likely. 

I think Bryan Cox did a programme about it. I'm not sure if he suggested aliens might have made contact. Don't know why if he did

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Other (limited?) life forms, perhaps.

But not aliens.

Likewise, you can think it's possible but to convince others you need proof. So in terms of aliens, what proof is there that they exist?

When it comes to scientists or astrologists, they can spot meteors and asteroids or other objects coming 'close' to Earth, but funny how they never seem able to spot the aliens coming to our planet.

I'm not being obtuse or awkward here by the way. I just strongly believe that aliens don't exist and it doesn't even come into play with these 'balloons' appearing in USA/Canada. 

I think your being irrational personally. Most scientists think there is intelligent life in the universe. It's been explained why aliens probably haven't come to earth. Seems strange to think it when scientists disagree 

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

I don't think anyone genuinely believes that those objects are aliens, lol. 

Yeah it's strange. Stans normally very rational but I think he's got this one wrong. There are so many stars and planets out there from what I gather most scientists think it's unlikely there isn't intelligent life out there 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

I think your being irrational personally. Most scientists think there is intelligent life in the universe. It's been explained why aliens probably haven't come to earth. Seems strange to think it when scientists disagree 

How is it irrational?

What proof is there that specifically aliens exist anywhere? Regardless whether they come to Earth or not, that's a moot point.