talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Other News & General Chat

football forum

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

@Stan I hope I didn't come across as rude. I thought scientists thought there was intelligent life out there. 

I'm really hurt. I need an alien to bring me presents to make me feel better. 

• Haha 2

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

@nudge Had a quick Google. In the observable universe there are around 125 billion galaxies. Presumably there is more than the observable universe? I know scientists can't say something exists without proof. But from a mathematical perspective. Wouldn't it be more likely than not there is intelligent life? From what I understand the drake equation was only our galaxy? And its been pretty heavily criticised. Have scientists said they don't think there is intelligent life or that there is no evidence? Because saying there is no evidence and saying that they don't think it's likely are different things.

You can't have a scientific consensus about something that we simply don't know anything about. If you ask a large number of cosmologists, astronomers, physicists etc. if there's intelligent life out there, you will be getting a large number of personal opinions and beliefs, that's it. At this point, it's just a philosophical discussion to have in a pub. Interesting and fun, but essentially pointless. 

We don't know what is outside of the observable universe. We don't know how big the entire universe is. We don't really know how the universe works. Hell, we don't even know the solar system that well. I don't think we have true science that can estimate the possibilities of life, nevermind intelligent life.

3 hours ago, Tommy said:

I can't stop laughing at the thought of Aliens finally building up the courage to pay us a friendly visit, packing presents and what not, and the Americans just fucking shoot them down. 

And the Aliens at their space center tracking the flight are all like:

blinking-guy-blinks-eyes.gif

If it's aliens searching for "intelligent life" there's no way they'd be wanting to come to earth in the first place - at least not to talk to humans, maybe they're interested in dogs and cats.

• Subscriber
Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

If it's aliens searching for "intelligent life" there's no way they'd be wanting to come to earth in the first place - at least not to talk to humans, maybe they're interested in dogs and cats.

Dolphins!

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Stan said:

Why though? 

It just seems unlikely to me that humans are the only "intelligent life" out there when you really think about how small our planet is, or even our galaxy (I think the next closest galaxy to the Milky Way is significantly bigger than the Milky Way itself). Considering the size of everything, how small of an area we occupy in space... I just think it's probable that there's other life out there that's at least as about as intelligent as us. Especially when you factor in how little we actually know about what's going on even within our own solar system... let alone beyond it. If there's life out there in another galaxy, it's no wonder we haven't found them and they haven't found us given what we know about space exploration with current technology.

• Upvote 4

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It just seems unlikely to me that humans are the only "intelligent life" out there when you really think about how small our planet is, or even our galaxy (I think the next closest galaxy to the Milky Way is significantly bigger than the Milky Way itself). Considering the size of everything, how small of an area we occupy in space... I just think it's probable that there's other life out there that's at least as about as intelligent as us. Especially when you factor in how little we actually know about what's going on even within our own solar system... let alone beyond it. If there's life out there in another galaxy, it's no wonder we haven't found them and they haven't found us given what we know about space exploration with current technology.

But then it doesn't make sense. If we know so little about our own solar system, why is there a higher probability of their being alien life in another part of space we know even less about? If anything, the probability is lower based on the limited knowledge we have of outer space? 

Once again, I'll make the point that I think there may be some form of 'life' in another realm of space, but I don't think it's 'aliens' or 'intelligent' life. 

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

But then it doesn't make sense. If we know so little about our own solar system, why is there a higher probability of their being alien life in another part of space we know even less about? If anything, the probability is lower based on the limited knowledge we have of outer space? 

Once again, I'll make the point that I think there may be some form of 'life' in another realm of space, but I don't think it's 'aliens' or 'intelligent' life. 

I think the probability of them existing has nothing to do with how little we know about our solar system or our galaxy - it'd be the same probability. The lack of knowledge out there about what's going on in space is more to show why it's not unsurprising we've never had any encounters with any other intelligent life.

Imo if you've got life in space... it's alien life. And if that life is about as intelligent as an ape or something, we could probably call that intelligent life.

And I just think considering the overall vastness of space... it's just likely there's other life that's out there that's what we'd call intelligent. It might be really far away - it might be closer than we ever thought and we just are blissfully ignorant because we don't know enough about space just yet. It's like if we only knew definitively about one part of the Atlantic ocean, but weren't sure about it. So let's say we only knew about the Atlantic by the UK - and we know there's fish in the ocean there. But we don't know about the rest of the ocean, would we just assume that the fish in the UK are the only fish out there in the world?

Just considering the sheer amount of vastness in space, it's just seems likely there's probably intelligent life out there that we've never come across.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think the probability of them existing has nothing to do with how little we know about our solar system or our galaxy - it'd be the same probability. The lack of knowledge out there about what's going on in space is more to show why it's not unsurprising we've never had any encounters with any other intelligent life.

Imo if you've got life in space... it's alien life. And if that life is about as intelligent as an ape or something, we could probably call that intelligent life.

And I just think considering the overall vastness of space... it's just likely there's other life that's out there that's what we'd call intelligent. It might be really far away - it might be closer than we ever thought and we just are blissfully ignorant because we don't know enough about space just yet. It's like if we only knew definitively about one part of the Atlantic ocean, but weren't sure about it. So let's say we only knew about the Atlantic by the UK - and we know there's fish in the ocean there. But we don't know about the rest of the ocean, would we just assume that the fish in the UK are the only fish out there in the world?

Just considering the sheer amount of vastness in space, it's just seems likely there's probably intelligent life out there that we've never come across.

I don't have confidence in the theory that just because there is the vastness of space means it is likelier there'll be intelligent life there. 

17 minutes ago, Stan said:

I don't have confidence in the theory that just because there is the vastness of space means it is likelier there'll be intelligent life there. 

I just think with how vast space is it's weird to assume that we're the only form of intelligent life out there. There's so much out there, it seems to me that there's a decent chance that there's at least one planet out there in space that's like earth that's got many life forms of various sorts living on it like earth does.

You would think there would have to be at least a few planets with at least animal level life.

I stumbled on a new theory, that the observable universe could actually be the inside of a black hole. Which seems crazy, but some respectable enough scientists are not dismissing the idea. It would be a different twist on the big bang theory.

It crosses my mind that there could be many, many more stars so far away that their light hasn't yet reached us. Or never will. By the time they see & look closely at our star light, we could be long gone.

And what really fries my brain is that if we do figure out faster than light warp speed.. the universe would change around the astronauts. Get to a star 1 million light years away. It would be 1 million light years, plus travel time, more recent when we arrive. Look back at our sun. And that light from our sun would have taken 1 million light years to get there.

And the navigation would have to be equally mind blowing to avoid doing what Han Solo suggests could happen.

• Upvote 1

Back to the balloons - so the US has said the 3 "mystery objects" they shot down after the Chinese balloon was shot down were private with likely no links to China.

Makes me wonder if drug traffickers were using balloons to get drugs over the US/Canada border... and China fucking around with their balloon got them noticed. No idea what organised crime is like around Canada... but I like this theory more than I like the aliens theory.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Back to the balloons - so the US has said the 3 "mystery objects" they shot down after the Chinese balloon was shot down were private with likely no links to China.

Makes me wonder if drug traffickers were using balloons to get drugs over the US/Canada border... and China fucking around with their balloon got them noticed. No idea what organised crime is like around Canada... but I like this theory more than I like the aliens theory.

But just a short while ago the US authorities have said that those objects were not balloons? Now they are saying it was balloons, after all? In fact, I am pretty sure they even said that they were not able to identify the means of propulsion of those objects visually, which was the most interesting part of me, that's why I remember it. They are also now saying that the debris "might never be recovered", which to me is dodgy as fuck xD 

21 minutes ago, nudge said:

But just a short while ago the US authorities have said that those objects were not balloons? Now they are saying it was balloons, after all? In fact, I am pretty sure they even said that they were not able to identify the means of propulsion of those objects visually, which was the most interesting part of me, that's why I remember it. They are also now saying that the debris "might never be recovered", which to me is dodgy as fuck xD 

Actually they just called them "objects" when they made their most recent statement... but I hadn't heard they weren't balloons so I thought they were just tired of saying balloon over and over again. xD I guess they're not balloons, but just weird flying things. I wonder what the fuck they actually shot down.

I wonder if the debris that "might never be recovered" is cocaine or heroin that has definitely already been recovered and is either going to be used to be sold to fund clandestine operations not to be reported on the US budget... or if it's just going to be used at some US 3 letter agency party.

• Subscriber
Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Actually they just called them "objects" when they made their most recent statement... but I hadn't heard they weren't balloons so I thought they were just tired of saying balloon over and over again. xD I guess they're not balloons, but just weird flying things. I wonder what the fuck they actually shot down.

I wonder if the debris that "might never be recovered" is cocaine or heroin that has definitely already been recovered and is either going to be used to be sold to fund clandestine operations not to be reported on the US budget... or if it's just going to be used at some US 3 letter agency party.

It would be hilarious if they accidentally shot down their own experimental new tech, so that's why I hope this is the case and they are withholding it from the public because it would be fucking embarrassing xD 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, nudge said:

It would be hilarious if they accidentally shot down their own experimental new tech, so that's why I hope this is the case and they are withholding it from the public because it would be fucking embarrassing xD 

I've just seen this: https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-nato-politics-government-romania-51d19e9fa8c53c54974e460ca5b8add3

Are these the first UFOs in this recent trend of 2023 weird shit in the air found in Europe?

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I've just seen this: https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-nato-politics-government-romania-51d19e9fa8c53c54974e460ca5b8add3

Are these the first UFOs in this recent trend of 2023 weird shit in the air found in Europe?

I have literally just read it 10 minutes ago, too. Weird shit. I don't think I ever heard of airspace of an European country being closed due to an UFO before... What's weird is that it is happening in different places, suddenly. Several in US/Canada, one in China, now two in Romania and Moldova.  

2 minutes ago, Eco said:

🖕

It's not my nor your fault that your government didn't at least wait until the "We come in peace" message before they blew them to pieces. But you have to live with the consequences.