• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Arsenal 2-0 Chelsea - Saturday 19th January, 2019

football forum

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

I imagine Sarri will go if they finish 5th or 6th? Depends on how they get on in the cups. I don't see the ethos ofquick success changing until they have a sustained period out of contention for the big trophies because so far chopping and changing has worked for them. 

The target was a getting back in the CL at the beginning of the season so finishing top 4 is the main priority, losing to Arsenal will not have helped that cause.. I think any other cup wins would be a bonus on top of that... At the beginning of the season Sarri wrote off our chances of winning the title and rightly so, given the improvements that both City, Pool and Spurs were showing it was always going to be a bit of an ask.. At the point we played Liverpool Sarri stated that he felt we were not as far behind them as he had first thought and after our positive start and performances one might have expected some optimism but I wonder what his thoughts are now after recent weeks?? 

2 hours ago, José said:

Alonso showed no remorse for that sick murder, I doubt he will give a fuck about being one of the worst defenders in the league along with TAA 

Imagine if you put all the hatred you have for Alonso killing that chick into something positive.

• Subscriber

Mourinho slated the Chelsea players.

Conte eventually slated the Chelsea players.

Sarri criticises the Chelsea players.

Bit of a recurring theme wouldn't we say? I have every sympathy for the manager in this scenario though I don't think it's beneficial to share it publicly, especially given that Chelsea (like most clubs to be fair) have shown time and again that they'll back the dressing room over the manager. 

If they actually have serious thoughts about changing as a club though they have to back the manager. Too many stale, bad eggs in that Chelsea dressing room that have simply outlived too many different managers and think they're untouchable. It's not convenient but it's real overhaul territory. You can't remove a cancer like this by getting 3 out, 3 in each year, because by the time you get the 3 new faces each year, the 3 from last year have been infected by the majority of the dressing room.

Sarri has made mistakes in his management no doubt and this is one of them but I imagine most of us would be frustrated if you were asked to come to a club, implement new ideas, see early success and then already start to see players showing signs of downing tools at the first sign of adversity barely halfway through the first season.

I would go on about where the John Terrys and Frank Lampards are at now but the sad fact is there just aren't those types of characters in football anymore, at Chelsea, Man Utd, or anywhere.

2 hours ago, José said:

Very few mistakes Teso Da God has made but mostly, he is wrong. Was wrong about Fabinho and that other Monaco player Chelsea bought, about TAA getting gangbanged by LPB, about Pogba, and Alonso. 

Nice try but I don’t blame you for continuing to take the path that led you to all those MOTM. Getting likes from my haters even when your right :ay:

Well done for admitting you were wrong:congrats:

1 hour ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I feel like having a strong dislike for people who kill people isn't exactly a waste of energy. This is coming from someone with a personality disorder 

Obsessing over it, ain't gonna change a thing. Actions do; driving safety courses do. Go teach and change people if it upsets that much,

I don't really care about it to be honest, if Alonso ended up in jail tomorrow, I wouldn't shed a tear for him; it wouldn't bring that girl back either. Ain't my place to be judge and jury. People die all the time, and their are far more evil people than Alonso.

Sarri isnt wrong. It's an issue we've had for a while and @carefreeluke has brought it up several times. 

The mentality of these players going into big games have been appalling. Lethargic and slow. Only when we concede do we start reacting and it was the same under Mourinho and Conte as well. There is a reason why we have done so poorly in Europe with this current crop. Hazard has dragged this team for seasons. 

Now Sarri is still at fault as well. He criticises their motivation and mentality, yet still plays the same players that are always guilty of it. Willian the main culprit. 

Different tactical approaches but similar themes to against Arsenal under Conte as well. We conceded eerily similar goals to Arsenal at the Emirates in the League cup last season. Some weird headed goal and another goal where Lacazette found some space in the area. Not saying Arsenal didn't deserve it on both occasions mind.

Sarri takes some of the blame. I know he had little choice in some cases today but his history with us so far shows that he has a preference for certain players. Willian, Barkley, Alonso, Azpi for starters. We can criticise certain names all we want but the manager is the one choosing them to start at the end of the day. Getting rid of Fabregas as well when we're struggling for goals just doesn't make sense. Cesc I imagine would have stuck around if he had been given more game time. Bringing on Barkley when we need a goal. Desperate times. In the context of game changes, both him and Kovacic help more with the defensive side of things, they aren't going to open up teams, commit players, cause problems for defenders. They help solely with ball retention and pressing, useful for certain game situations but not when we need a goal. Cesc is that man. 

I've said ever since the first few games I've watched Alonso in a Chelsea shirt that he's average at best and average is a level that he doesn't consistently reach either. Not top four standard. Alonso isn't the reason we lost today, that's down to Sarri, the board and the players as a whole. However, I've never for some time seen a player so out of place in a Chelsea shirt. I still can't believe that Spain saw something in him as well. Yes, there's my other favourite Chelsea player Willian but at least he has the tools to work with at this level. If Alonso sticks around in a Chelsea shirt he'll score important goals this season and in the future no doubt but that's no where near enough of a reason to justify playing him every week when his overall play is not up to the standard. Cahill scored lots of important goals for us but he was also ten times the player Alonso will ever be. A lot of people were creaming over Alonso the last two seasons because of his statistics as a defender in terms of assists and goals. This guy has spent the majority of his Chelsea career being one of the furthest forward in attack though. There's a generic Chelsea song that goes:  'Marcos Alonso run down the wing for me'. Please. I couldn't think of anything worse. One because he'll take about four years to overlap or get up that wing. Two he's very limited on the ball. And three, he always make the same predictable and one dimensional run. 

Fabregas hasn't had any impact this season though. Whether he started or when he came off the bench. He was nothing more than a liability and we cashed in on him when he still had value. Only issue is if he expressed his desire to leave, why didn't we secure a backup the same time he left? 

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Fabregas hasn't had any impact this season though. Whether he started or when he came off the bench. He was nothing more than a liability and we cashed in on him when he still had value. Only issue is if he expressed his desire to leave, why didn't we secure a backup the same time he left? 

Did they say anything after the 20mins? The game against Marseille was a big one to play and Monaco were dominant for most of that game. The whole team then tailed off towards end of the game anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Did they say anything after the 20mins? The game against Marseille was a big one to play and Monaco were dominant for most of that game. The whole team then tailed off towards end of the game anyway. 

Well they just lost 1-5 against Strasbourg with him in the centre of the pitch so I reckon he isn't doing to good. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Cicero said:

Well they just lost 1-5 against Strasbourg with him in the centre of the pitch so I reckon he isn't doing to good. 

That tweet was from last week though. Can't pin everything on Fabregas though? 

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

That tweet was from last week though. Can't pin everything on Fabregas though? 

It just fits into my entire point about Cesc. His legs are gone and I don't think he could of be any useful to us. 

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

For me he wasn't used correctly though. In the little he has been used, it's been a straight swap for Jorginho. We could of used him further up the pitch when we're in need of a goal instead of hoping on Barkley or Kovacic to create something. The one time he was bought on further forward he had a decent impact and we looked far more likely of creating things. Not saying he should be starting games but in a moment where we're very toothless in finding openings, making more use of Fabregas would have aided things. Give him 20-30 minutes to come on here and there. Yes, we should be seeking a replacement but we should of at least waited until the summer.

Ranty TB time

Been off for the weekend watched the game tough.

You could see in the opening 10 minutes that we would concede inside the opening 15 minutes which was shambolic. That just happened after Lacazette opened the scoring. We then slightly improved by not being in our own box, but the shoulder goal by Koscielny was game over for us. The 1-0 result was still pretty much open but the second made our players give up. In the second we limited Arsenal to create more chance but than again they decided to sit back and wait for the counters which is natural. We had one post hit and that was the highlight of our 96 minutes which is pathetic. The false nine worked vs City but we put the effort in, on Saturday we came to lose simple as that. The no striker option was a shit excuse as we had one shot on target which was comfortably saved. Our ability to create chances is very poor, our goal average per game is equal to a relegation battler. Sarri is making the same mistakes as Conte and the managers before him, he is stubborn with a system that will get him sacked. He is also stubborn with the players that are piss poor like Alonso, Jorginho etc but he continues playing them. Kante pushing forward was decent in two games in this season so far, in all the rest his best qualities were left unused. I can see this ending very soon for Sarri even tough we are still pretty active in all competitions. The overlord Roman demanded sexy football, Jose fucking Mourinho had us playing better football and that says a lot. The side and backwards passing is so obvious its sad, none of our players shot just keep crossing the ball onto our midget false nine which is a genius option. The top four is still an option but it has become so tight now that every bad result could see you get dropped. 

We have the semi final return leg on Thursday against Spurs but with a performance like against Arsenal, even a crippled Spurs side will ease to the final.

Archived