talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

First time From USA - Which Games to Attend?

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yeah but of the London clubs I'd think Chelsea and d arsenal would be very tough and spurs at WHL normally as bad leaving maybe Fulham, west ham and palace none of which excites. 

West Ham's unpredictability is somewhat exciting - the atmosphere less so.

Fulham is a decent day out. Been there a couple of times for a home game and away game and both were worth it. Tickets fairly cheap too. Nice pubs nearby too.

Palace I've never been but it does have that reputation for having a decent atmosphere - there was a bit of discussion about moving the singing section or making it bigger and locating other fans elsewhere but @The Palace Fan can elaborate more no doubt. 

• The title was changed to First time From USA - Which Games to Attend?
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It depends what you want. I've ranked them in the order I would choose if I was visiting from abroad:

Chelsea - Well recognised stadium, good football, better atmosphere than Arsenal but not good. Good places to go before games.

Arsenal - Very impressive stadium, good football but no atmosphere. Good places to go before games.

Crystal Palace - Ground is a dump, football often shit but great atmosphere. No good places to go before games.

Fulham - Nice little small family club in a nice area of London, but football is shit and there's no atmosphere. Good places to go before games.

West Ham - New stadium with no history, average football, no atmosphere, poor before games.

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Harry said:

And spurs?

Their new stadium won't be ready in time for April so it'll be Wembley against Brighton for the weekend that he's here. Will be very easy to get tickets for that I imagine? @Storts

Pick Arsenal if London.

We've all got a chip on our shoulder about new stadiums on here and in the country in general. That's why Craven  Cottage is bigged up, it has one rusty stand and a cottage in the corner, that's it. It won't overawe many tourists.

Arsenal on the other hand probably will. You'd get a strong feel for the club, it's power and reach. Don't be fooled by atmosphere jibes, if it's your first time you need to go somewhere you will feel the roar of an english football crowd. The echo of encouragement and cheer. That requires a large crowd. Yes that roar and echo is better at every major Northern club except probably Everton these days but Arsenal is the right starting point if London, once you can capture that sense and vibe to relate to try something smaller on another visit. 

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Stan said:

Their new stadium won't be ready in time for April so it'll be Wembley against Brighton for the weekend that he's here. Will be very easy to get tickets for that I imagine? @Storts

Will it not?! That's news to me. Probably right but not confirmed yet.

And yeah Wembley would be incredibly easy

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Storts said:

Will it not?! That's news to me. Probably right but not confirmed yet.

And yeah Wembley would be incredibly easy

I heard all your home games had now been given increased capacity for the rest of the season so presumed it was Wembley you were staying at!

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Stan said:

I heard all your home games had now been given increased capacity for the rest of the season so presumed it was Wembley you were staying at!

Contingency! But we'll see 

On 20/01/2019 at 17:47, Lucas said:

I think he should go to Millwall if its London he wants.

Lovely club, friendly fans, oldish stadium, great atmosphere.

He'll have a whale of a time.

I think most people who know anything about football know about Millwall :D

• Subscriber

Sunderland v Doncaster in League One is my alternative offering for you. Yes, Sunderland is 4 hours away on a train coming from London but you'd be seeing a Premier League team from 2 years ago in a decent stadium, and then you could see Newcastle play Southampton the next day!

I am leaning towards Sunderland and Newcastle, despite the train ride length from London. (I might even consider renting a car, having thought about it -- I have driven on the left, on my honeymoon in Ireland, and did not kill anyone or damage any hedges seriously, though my wife, who is not coming with me on this trip, did do a lot of screaming.)

Train from London to Newcastle is between 2 hours 45 and 3 hours 10 depending on which service you get. It's not bad at all I do it several times a season. The problem is the price. You can also fly from London Heathrow to Newcastle which in advance can be reasonably priced and cheaper than the train.

Archived