talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Good, The Bad, and The Official Western Thread

football forum

• Subscriber

t65ddwzgjkbwqzsrvmbf

Saddle up!

Westerns are the major defining genre of the film industry, a nostalgic eulogy to the early days of the expansive, untamed American frontier, the borderline between civilization and the wilderness. They are one of the oldest, most enduring and flexible and one of the most distinctive genres in their mythic origins of time when freedom, values and morals held a greater position in society than they do now; and have always provided a rich mine for universally appealing stories of gunslinging frontier adventurers, desperadoes, and lawmen.

From classic westerns to revisionist and Spaghetti westerns of the 60s to modern remakes, anything goes and that's what this thread for. I know we have quite a few people on here who share my love for the genre. So, what are your favourites?...

@Viva la FCB @CaaC - John @Bluewolf @ASF @Rab @Mel81x @IgnisExcubitor @Cannabis

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like a good western because I find the whole "old west" era fascinating and interesting. That's while I also like the classics, I prefer "modern" western, because they're mostly closer to how it really was. 

My favourite is definitely "The Assassination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford". It's just one of the best movies in general to me. Story telling, cinematography, soundtrack, acting, it's just so good in every department. 

• Subscriber
54 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I like a good western because I find the whole "old west" era fascinating and interesting. That's while I also like the classics, I prefer "modern" western, because they're mostly closer to how it really was. 

My favourite is definitely "The Assassination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford". It's just one of the best movies in general to me. Story telling, cinematography, soundtrack, acting, it's just so good in every department. 

Good shout; loved it as well. I do love a bit more action in my western in general, though.

My personal all-time favourites are definitely Spaghetti westerns/European westerns of the 60s and 70s as the classic Hollywood westerns often just look too clean for me and there's little nuance to the characters - you basically have a perfect shiny hero and a bunch of evil villains. Whereas the Spaghetti westerns are much grittier and less simplistic in a sense that the protagonist is usually an anti-hero that is morally neutral at best. It's nihilistic, violent and the musical score, camera work, slow storytelling and general aesthetics just make it feel like a grand adventure of an epic scale.

Sergio Leone's Dollars Trilogy is the obvious choice here; definitely my favourite westerns and in my overall top list of movies of all time for sure. Then it's Sergio Corbucci with Django, Navajo Joe, and The Great Silence. I also love almost everything with Lee van Cleef, Franco Nero, Tomas Milian, Klaus Kinski, Eli Wallach and of course the Trinity films with Terrence Hill and Bud Spencer. Here's a list of my favourite Spaghetti westerns:

The Dollars Trilogy
Django
The Great Silence
Navajo Joe
Death Rides a Horse
Day of Anger
The Big Gundown
The Grand Duel
Sabata
The Mercenary
God Forgives, I don't 
They Call Me Trinity
Trinity Is Still My Name
Sartana movies

And a lot of others I can't think of at the moment xD 

• Subscriber

Also for those who haven't seen it, do yourself a favour and watch Godless. It's a 7 episode mini-series that follows the fates of Frank Griffin and his murderous gang... of Roy Goode, the member who turned against them… and of La Belle, the town full of women who must defend themselves when they get caught in the crossfire. Welcome to Godless country. Starring Jeff Daniels and Thomas Sangster. Easily my favourite one in recent years!

• Subscriber

I am a Clint Eastwood western fan which I have mentioned in here before and 2 of his westerns stand out for me and I have the DVD's in my room and they are The Outlaw Josey Wales & The Good the Bad and the Ugly and Pale Rider as number 3 but I love all westerns and that includes John 'The Duke' Wayne in Stagecoach.

26 minutes ago, nudge said:

Also for those who haven't seen it, do yourself a favour and watch Godless. It's a 7 episode mini-series that follows the fates of Frank Griffin and his murderous gang... of Roy Goode, the member who turned against them… and of La Belle, the town full of women who must defend themselves when they get caught in the crossfire. Welcome to Godless country. Starring Jeff Daniels and Thomas Sangster. Easily my favourite one in recent years!

The fuck my brain. I knew who Jeff Daniels was but I copy and pasted his name from your post into google just to confirm and it was only showing me Chevrolets until I typed Jeff Daniels myself. Your keyboard is broke.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=85pFXNvLHcv2kwW00Ke4Cw&q=Jeff+Daniels&oq=Jeff+Daniels&gs_l=psy-ab.3..33i160l2.358401.358401..359310...0.0..0.109.109.0j1......0....2j1..gws-wiz.cpJSMgMv2Zs

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Rab said:

The fuck my brain. I knew who Jeff Daniels was but I copy and pasted the text in your post into google just to confirm and it was only showing me Chevrolets until I typed Jeff Daniels myself. Your keyboard is broke.

WTF O.o I get the same when I copy paste it (Chevrolets coming up) but all is well when I type it myself too... How the heck does that happen? xD 

Just now, nudge said:

WTF O.o I get the same when I copy paste it but all is well when I type it myself too... How the heck does that happen? xD 

Fuck knows, and my brain wasn't ready for it.

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, CaaC - John said:

I am a Clint Eastwood western fan which I have mentioned in here before and 2 of his westerns stand out for me and I have the DVD's in my room and they are The Outlaw Josey Wales & The Good the Bad and the Ugly and Pale Rider as number 3 but I love all westerns and that includes John 'The Duke' Wayne in Stagecoach

Have you seen the other two movies in the Dollar Trilogy? I love The Good The Bad and the Ugly but I think For a Few Dollars More is an even better movie... A Fistful of Dollars is ok too.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, nudge said:

Have you seen the other two movies in the Dollar Trilogy? I love The Good The Bad and the Ugly but I think For a Few Dollars More is an even better movie... A Fistful of Dollars is ok too.

Saw them all, High Plains Drifter is another good Clint Eastwood western, he directed this himself.

• Subscriber
40 minutes ago, nudge said:

WTF O.o I get the same when I copy paste it (Chevrolets coming up) but all is well when I type it myself too... How the heck does that happen? xD 

Oh he lovely internet. This whole mess really starts because of some unseen characters in what you typed of pasted from. The actual search phrase Google is seeing is "Jeff D an ie ls" which is why in the first Chevrolet Search they highlight Jeff D' and then the rest of his name. 

This is the culprit

Jeff D<span>&#65279;</span>an<span>&#65279;</span>ie<span>&#65279;</span>ls<span>&#65279;</span>

notice how it split up Daniels as D an ie ls instead of just Daniels.

Anyways, back on topic, I used to like Dances with Wolves quite a lot when I was younger.

• Subscriber
54 minutes ago, nudge said:

53 minutes ago, Rab said:

Fuck knows, and my brain wasn't ready for it.

Lol, try clearing your browser data and your caches, log off first though, my laptop was playing up something chronic when I first started up and I did the latter and its fine now. 

• Subscriber
Just now, CaaC - John said:

Lol, try clearing your browser data and your caches, log off first though, my laptop was playing up something chronic when I first started up and I did the latter and its fine now. 

Nah Mel explained it already above. I probably copied the name from the website and didn't remove formatting...

• Subscriber
16 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Anyways, back on topic, I used to like Dances with Wolves quite a lot when I was younger.

That was my history teacher's most favourite movie hehe. Good film that.

• Subscriber
22 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Although I am not a great Kevin Costner fan that is one film I enjoyed watching and have watched it many a time, l got the right arse ache though when they shot the wolf and the wife was telling me to "calm down, it's only a film..." :censored: 

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Ooooh nice. I started my 4th trial month (:ph34r:) on Netflix a few days ago. I'll give this a go soon. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Tommy said:

Ooooh nice. I started my 4th trial month (:ph34r:) on Netflix a few days ago. I'll give this a go soon. 

You still hadn't watched it? :(  I recommended it for you like a year ago xD 

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Has everyone here seen Deadwood?

I presume that fits the bill of a western. And for me is just about the best TV show I've seen. The most vivid world. So engrossing.

Yes! Enjoyed it a lot. Waiting for the movie that is currently in the works. First image was revealed a few months ago:

53wkzcfp99521.png

Just now, nudge said:

You still hadn't watched it? :(  I recommended it for you like a year ago xD 

Oh. Sorry xD I had so many series' piled up that I never got to watch. But this one is definitely on top of my list now. 

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, CaaC - John said:

Have you seen Two Mules for Sister Sara @nudge? Eastwood and Shirley MacLaine, Eastwood as Hogan thought Sarah was a nun but it turns out she wasn't, good wild west action but also a great laugh all the way through. xD

MV5BOTIyNDk4NzYyOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzcx

Is it where she turned out to be a prostitute? xD I think I have seen it albeit years ago... Comedy westerns are such a brilliant genre.

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, nudge said:

Is it where she turned out to be a prostitute? xD I think I have seen it albeit years ago... Comedy westerns are such a brilliant genre.

Aye, that's the one myself and the wife laughed all the way through that movie especially when Hogan came to the door with a barrow load of gold and Sarah told him I am in the tub...his reply "Can't wait..." and smashed the door down. :rofl:

• Subscriber

I love me some Westerns. Spaghetti westerns are the best, magnificent 7 and TGTBTG would be favourite two but I enjoyed most of clints. As nudge mentioned Godless was recently the best thing I've seen in the genre Id highly recommend checking that out as a mini series. If you're looking for a show "The Son" with Pierce Brosnan was also a pretty good first season and should be back for a second one soon.

I havent honestly liked alot of the recent westerns, as Tommyboy mentioned I think Jessie James was the standout and I've been meaning to watch that again its been awhile. The closest to being great was 3:10 to Yuma which was fantastic until the ridiculous 20 min end scene threw everything in the trash can apart from yet another master class performance for one of the most underrated and probably the best character actor in Ben Foster. 

• The title was changed to The Good, The Bad, and The Official Westehttps://talkfootball365.com/topic/7347-the-good-the-bad-and-the-official-western-thread/rn Thread

Archived