talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Good, The Bad, and The Official Western Thread

football forum

• Subscriber
36 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

I love me some Westerns. Spaghetti westerns are the best, magnificent 7 and TGTBTG would be favourite two but I enjoyed most of clints. As nudge mentioned Godless was recently the best thing I've seen in the genre Id highly recommend checking that out as a mini series. If you're looking for a show "The Son" with Pierce Brosnan was also a pretty good first season and should be back for a second one soon.

I havent honestly liked alot of the recent westerns, as Tommyboy mentioned I think Jessie James was the standout and I've been meaning to watch that again its been awhile. The closest to being great was 3:10 to Yuma which was fantastic until the ridiculous 20 min end scene threw everything in the trash can apart from yet another master class performance for one of the most underrated and probably the best character actor in Ben Foster. 

I agree that recent western movies haven't been particularly great with a very few exceptions; things look much better than it comes to TV shows though. The Son (Season Two starts in April!), Deadwood, Hell on Wheels (decent), Godless, and my other favourite, Into the West:

250px-Into_the_West_(2005_TV_miniseries_

Anyone watched this? It's a miniseries with six (each almost two-hour long) episodes which follows the story of two families, one white American, one Native American, as their lives become mingled through the momentous events of American expansion. The story intertwines real and fictional characters and events spanning the period of expansion of the United States in the American West, from 1825 to 1890. Think it's very underrated.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
1 hour ago, nudge said:

I agree that recent western movies haven't been particularly great with a very few exceptions; things look much better than it comes to TV shows though. The Son (Season Two starts in April!), Deadwood, Hell on Wheels (decent), Godless, and my other favourite, Into the West:

250px-Into_the_West_(2005_TV_miniseries_

Anyone watched this? It's a miniseries with six (each almost two-hour long) episodes which follows the story of two families, one white American, one Native American, as their lives become mingled through the momentous events of American expansion. The story intertwines real and fictional characters and events spanning the period of expansion of the United States in the American West, from 1825 to 1890. Think it's very underrated.

Thats very true, Hell on Wheels was pretty watchable all the way through. Ill have to check out Into the West, i think you mentioned that one to me before but im old and forget things ^_^

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

That's going back a bit... Used to enjoy watching them, he used to lay behind the horse on a stretcher type thing and let the horse do all the work.. xD

I LOVE Terence Hill and Bud Spencer, have over 30 movies in my collection but the Trinity ones are easily the best :D They are cult legends and German synchronisation is absolutely hilarious as well. I regularly rewatch them every year haha. So many legendary scenes such as where they eat the beans of the outlaws twice or the Restaurant scene... never gets old! :D

xD 

Good thread, nudgey. :)

One of my favorites genres. Top 5 easily.

The best western ever made is, undoubtedly, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly. It has it all. Memorable characters, amazing soundtrack, top quotes. If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and watch it.

Next one would be Once Upon a Time in the West. Gets second spot just because the one above exists. Otherwise, this one would be top spot.

My list of favorite westerns include, apart from those two:

- The Treasure of the Sierra Madre;

- The General;

- The Searchers;

- Red River;

- High Noon;

- Bad Day at Black Rock;

- My Darling Clementine;

- 3:10 To Yuma (1957);

- Shane;

- Winchester '73;

- High Plains Drifter;

- Django;

- The Gunfighter;

- She Wore a Yellow Ribbon;

- Man of the West

• Subscriber
12 hours ago, ASF said:

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre;

- The General;

- The Searchers;

- Red River;

- High Noon;

- Bad Day at Black Rock;

- My Darling Clementine;

- 3:10 To Yuma (1957);

- Shane;

- Winchester '73;

- High Plains Drifter;

- Django;

- The Gunfighter;

- She Wore a Yellow Ribbon;

- Man of the West

As mentioned before I love westerns and them ones highlighted are the best of the bunch, The Searchers with the Duke John Wayne, 3.10 to Yuma the 1957 version with Glen Ford & Van Heflin, a Stanley Kramer masterpiece High Noon with Gary Cooper, My Darling Clementine with Henry Fonda as the best of the bunch for Wyatt Earp movies (Gun Fight at OK Coral etc) and the one and only Clint Eastwood (my all time favourite actor) in High Plains Drifter.

To me, you just can't beat the old time westerns films, they were the best, maybe nowadays I would say Dances with Wolves and Unforgiven with good old Clint Eastwood are up there with ones above, the ending of Unforgiven was a classic Eastwood ending as gunfighter Bill Munney who became the evil gunslinger again after sheriff Little Bill Daggett (Gene Hackman) and his gang killed his buddy Ned Logan (Morgan Freeman).   

I haven’t watched a lot of Westerns, like some here, but I do enjoy them cause there is this sense of adventure attached to them even if it is a serious movie. 

The original Django was my first western. I think it is very underrated, in that not many people have watched it. 

The Dollar trilogy is obviously great, and the Good, Bad and the Ugly is perfection, including Morricone's work. 

Trinity movies are always good fun. 

I loved The Searchers, but interestingly I only watched it after reading an article about Breaking Bad and how the series' end was inspired by the movie. 

The Magnificent Seven is another of my favourites. It's like a western version of all those World War movies. A group of misfits finishing a mission, kinda like Dirty dozen, Guns of Navarone, etc. 

I also liked The Assassination of Jesse James and the recent  3:10 to Yuma (though I hope to see the original someday). 

Lastly, I have to mention Firefly. It is a space western and one of the best series out there, including the movie Serenity which resolves the story. 

9 hours ago, CaaC - John said:

As mentioned before I love westerns and them ones highlighted are the best of the bunch, The Searchers with the Duke John Wayne, 3.10 to Yuma the 1957 version with Glen Ford & Van Heflin, a Stanley Kramer masterpiece High Noon with Gary Cooper, My Darling Clementine with Henry Fonda as the best of the bunch for Wyatt Earp movies (Gun Fight at OK Coral etc) and the one and only Clint Eastwood (my all time favourite actor) in High Plains Drifter.

To me, you just can't beat the old time westerns films, they were the best, maybe nowadays I would say Dances with Wolves and Unforgiven with good old Clint Eastwood are up there with ones above, the ending of Unforgiven was a classic Eastwood ending as gunfighter Bill Munney who became the evil gunslinger again after sheriff Little Bill Daggett (Gene Hackman) and his gang killed his buddy Ned Logan (Morgan Freeman).   

You can say what you want about Kevin Costner, but Dances with Wolves is a top film.

36 minutes ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

I haven’t watched a lot of Westerns, like some here, but I do enjoy them cause there is this sense of adventure attached to them even if it is a serious movie. 

The original Django was my first western. I think it is very underrated, in that not many people have watched it. 

The Dollar trilogy is obviously great, and the Good, Bad and the Ugly is perfection, including Morricone's work. 

Trinity movies are always good fun. 

I loved The Searchers, but interestingly I only watched it after reading an article about Breaking Bad and how the series' end was inspired by the movie. 

The Magnificent Seven is another of my favourites. It's like a western version of all those World War movies. A group of misfits finishing a mission, kinda like Dirty dozen, Guns of Navarone, etc. 

I also liked The Assassination of Jesse James and the recent  3:10 to Yuma (though I hope to see the original someday). 

Lastly, I have to mention Firefly. It is a space western and one of the best series out there, including the movie Serenity which resolves the story. 

I agree about Django. One of the coolest movies I've seen, with one of the coolest characters. 

The thing that downgrades the Magnificent Seven for me is that, basically, it's Seven Samurai with guns. Same as A Fistful of Dollars. It's the same script of Yojimbo. I saw the samurai movies before the Westerns, so I rate those above these ones.

• Subscriber
11 hours ago, ASF said:

You can say what you want about Kevin Costner, but Dances with Wolves is a top film.

11 hours ago, CaaC - John said:

It was a good film and the only one I really enjoyed with Costner acting in it. :D

Costner has quite a few bad movies to his name but when he's good, he's really good. My personal favourite is A Perfect World - an extremely underrated film, directed by Clint Eastwood and starring him and Kevin Costner. It's not a western but since we're talking about Kevin Costner I thought I'd mention it.

He's also quite good in the new modern western drama series Yellowstone

Rank this as one of my all time favorite Westerns.. 

the-magnificent-7-1960-2.png

Top 10 Movie Ensemble Casts: The Magnificent Seven

Yul Brynner official pic magnificent seven

Yul Brynner as Chris

“I’ve been offered a lot for my work, but never everything.”

steve mcqueen 3

Steve McQueen as Vin

“We deal in lead, friend.”

james coburn

James Coburn as Britt

“Nobody throws me my own guns and tells me to ride on. Nobody.”

CASTING charles bronson

Charles Bronson as Bernardo

In 1943, Bronson enlisted in the United States Army Air Forces and served as an aerial gunner in the 760th Flexible Gunnery Training Squadron, and in 1945 as a Boeing B-29 Superfortress crewman with the 39th Bombardment Group based on Guam. He was awarded a Purple Heart for wounds received during his service.”

Yaughn as Lee

Robert Vaughn as Lee

“Till you lose your nerve. You can feel it. Then you wait … for the bullet in the gun that is faster than you are …”

Horst Buchholz

Horst Buchholz as Chico

Horst Bucholz and Rosenda Monteros

brad-dexter.jpg?w=455&h=487

Brad Dexter as Harry Luck

Brad Dexter 10

Worthy special mention.. 

eli wallach 1

Eli Wallach as Calvera

“My first Western was called The Magnificent Seven.”
~ Eli Wallach

“I never dreamed I would do Westerns.”
~ Eli Wallach

Wallach says he once received a letter from the Pope who told him that his favorite Wallach Movie was The Magnificent Seven.

“As an actor I’ve played more bandits, thieves, killers, warlords, molesters, and Mafiosi than you could shake a stick at.”
~ Eli Wallach

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Rank this as one of my all time favorite Westerns.. 

the-magnificent-7-1960-2.png

Top 10 Movie Ensemble Casts: The Magnificent Seven

Yul Brynner official pic magnificent seven

Yul Brynner as Chris

“I’ve been offered a lot for my work, but never everything.”

steve mcqueen 3

Steve McQueen as Vin

“We deal in lead, friend.”

james coburn

James Coburn as Britt

“Nobody throws me my own guns and tells me to ride on. Nobody.”

CASTING charles bronson

Charles Bronson as Bernardo

In 1943, Bronson enlisted in the United States Army Air Forces and served as an aerial gunner in the 760th Flexible Gunnery Training Squadron, and in 1945 as a Boeing B-29 Superfortress crewman with the 39th Bombardment Group based on Guam. He was awarded a Purple Heart for wounds received during his service.”

Yaughn as Lee

Robert Vaughn as Lee

“Till you lose your nerve. You can feel it. Then you wait … for the bullet in the gun that is faster than you are …”

Horst Buchholz

Horst Buchholz as Chico

Horst Bucholz and Rosenda Monteros

brad-dexter.jpg?w=455&h=487

Brad Dexter as Harry Luck

Brad Dexter 10

Worthy special mention.. 

eli wallach 1

Eli Wallach as Calvera

“My first Western was called The Magnificent Seven.”
~ Eli Wallach

“I never dreamed I would do Westerns.”
~ Eli Wallach

Wallach says he once received a letter from the Pope who told him that his favorite Wallach Movie was The Magnificent Seven.

“As an actor I’ve played more bandits, thieves, killers, warlords, molesters, and Mafiosi than you could shake a stick at.”
~ Eli Wallach

One of my all time favourites as well...

Yul Brynner, Steve Mcqueen, James Coburn, Eli Walach, Horst Buchholz... :x Can't get any better than that. I can even tolerate Charles Bronson in it xD A great movie altogether. 

11 minutes ago, nudge said:

One of my all time favourites as well...

Yul Brynner, Steve Mcqueen, James Coburn, Eli Walach, Horst Buchholz... :x Can't get any better than that. I can even tolerate Charles Bronson in it xD A great movie altogether. 

It's just one of them all time top films that stand the test of time... 

the-magnificent-7-why

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

It's just one of them all time top films that stand the test of time... 

the-magnificent-7-why

Yeah I just choose to view it as not a remake but a different movie altogether. It's a decent silly but forgettable popcorn action movie for light entertainment with a too-obvious SJW panderfest and too much predictability. It is a shame to even compare it with the original though.

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

Yeah I just choose to view it as not a remake but a different movie altogether. It's a decent silly but forgettable popcorn action movie for light entertainment with a too-obvious SJW panderfest and too much predictability. It is a shame to even compare it with the original though.

It was not terrible but as you say that was one of the reasons it put me off in all honesty... 

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

It was not terrible but as you say that was one of the reasons it put me off in all honesty... 

A lot of new movies are being ruined by it. Star Wars is another "big" example where it's just all too blatant. Or any new Disney movie for that matter.

11 hours ago, nudge said:

A lot of new movies are being ruined by it. Star Wars is another "big" example where it's just all too blatant. Or any new Disney movie for that matter.

Unfortunately, this trend has gone on for a few years now and it's doing no good.

I can understand people wanting minorities/more women in movies, but do it with some purpose, some credibility. Not just for the sake of it. Prime example of how SJW are ruining movies was the remake of Ghostbusters. 

20 minutes ago, ASF said:

Unfortunately, this trend has gone on for a few years now and it's doing no good.

I can understand people wanting minorities/more women in movies, but do it with some purpose, some credibility. Not just for the sake of it. Prime example of how SJW are ruining movies was the remake of Ghostbusters. 

Look at the Mandalorian. Disney literally has every single race known to man in the cast. 

It's obvious Disney is taking the more progressive approach, which is great. However, the bad writing and poor character development just makes it feel like they need to chuck in an Asian for the sake of having an Asian. It almost feels forced 

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Look at the Mandalorian. Disney literally has every single race known to man in the cast. 

It's obvious Disney is taking the more progressive approach, which is great. However, the bad writing and poor character development just makes it feel like they need to chuck in an Asian for the sake of having an Asian. It almost feels forced 

I fear for Endgame, really. Hope Marvel doesn't ruin it with some bullshit, that Captain Marvel comes in to save the day. 

• The title was changed to The Good, The Bad, and The Official Westehttps://talkfootball365.com/topic/7347-the-good-the-bad-and-the-official-western-thread/rn Thread

Archived