12 members have voted

1. 1. Is David Moyes a good manager?

• Yes - The failings at United and Sociedad shouldn't tarnish his career
    • No - He's out of his depth and has failed on the big stage

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

I don't get what more he can do at a club that gives him very little to work with. Defoe and Pickford are the only 2 decent enough players in the squad and I'm not sure what else they expect him to do.

As Cannabis says, perhaps better to take 1 step back and hope you move forward from that. They've been flirting with relegation for ages and perhaps it'll be a blessing in disguise if they finally drop.

Regardless of if it's to do with Moyes or not though, they're quite simply fucking shit all round. 

He should never have got the job in the first place. The more suited job for him would have been the Celtic job because he'd have probably won the SPL and managed in Europe again and that would have gone a tiny way towards repairing his reputation.

Sunderland will struggle in the Championship if they keep him on and I can't see them recruiting well due to a lack of funds, which alludes to the owner/chairman not being that good either. I think the problems are Sunderland run deeper than Moyes and big changes are needed there. 

1 minute ago, HoneyNUFC said:

With today's revelation they may as well boot him out 

He won't see the end of the week. The PC brigade will be on this like a rash and Sunderland will be forced to sack him, so the reporter has done Sunderland fans a huge favour here. 

Just now, Smiley Culture said:

He won't see the end of the week. The PC brigade will be on this like a rash and Sunderland will be forced to sack him, so the reporter has done Sunderland fans a huge favour here. 

I doubt the club that kept a paedophile in their ranks for a year is capable of being forced to sack anyone.

• Administrator

Moyes has been told his job is not under threat at the Stadium of Light since the incident and has also vowed not to quit, even if the Black Cats are relegated.

Significantly, Telegraph Sport has learned that it was Moyes who instigated the apology, ringing Ms Sparks first thing on Monday morning, in which he told her his language was completely unacceptable, before apologising and asking for her forgiveness.

It is that contrition that appears to have saved Moyes, along with the fact that both Sparks and the BBC accepted the apology.

so cos he issued a quick apology he can stay xD ridiculous.

As Cannabis said Sunderland have been tempting fate for far too long. Their performances this season under Moyes have paled in comparison to previous years. A few years ago Wigan fairer similarly. Having escaped the drop on the final day for a few seasons they fell and fell hard. Without immediate change Sunderland definitely won't be in the Premier League next season and with their current form would be lucky to stay in the Championship.

2 hours ago, Aaroncpfc said:

Watching the clip I don't think he intended for the female reporter to feel threatened at all. Those that are calling this sexist really need to get a grip.

It actually sounds like he is trying to flirt with her. He should be sacked unless it worked.

He's done a poor job at Sunderland and his career has just completely faded away since he left Everton, though I think he's the man to bring them back up if they go down. 

With regards to the comment, he knows it was wrong, he's apologised. I'm not sure they'll sack him over it.

• Subscriber

They could fire him as they are going down in all probability and try their luck at coming back up but he actually might be the guy to bring some stability to the weird way in which that club is run. They've only been doing this 'end of season dance' because of the threat of relegation and while they have dodged the bullet so many times now its probably time to make space for a new team and try their luck in a lower league. God knows if they'll even make it up from there.

• Subscriber

Inadvertently it'll be the right decision. It shouldn't be sackable as it's clearly a joke but given his results have been awful as well they probably see this as an easy way out. 

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Aaroncpfc said:

Watching the clip I don't think he intended for the female reporter to feel threatened at all. Those that are calling this sexist really need to get a grip.

We're in a phoney society really. Faux-outrage all over the place and shit like this becoming a talking point. Anyone who listens to that and thinks it's sackable is daft. Naive from Moyes though as it's not out of character for the media and certain people to cause a stir over things like it.

The only concern is if there are actually people under 30 who think there can never be anything wrong with what he said.

He's a 53 year old man and there was no malice in it so you just pat him on the head and move on.

I can't believe it's got to this point, it was fairly obviously said in a jesting tone. Perhaps one of those coincidences but I watched an old question time about Andy Grey a few nights back and they (public figures) all closed ranks then.

Moyes will get the same he'll be finished and I bet the lady he said it to will probably have the most sympathy for him. Wouldn't surprise me if that crisp peddling Leicester gimp is on twitter as we speak comparing Moyes to Peter Sutcliffe.

• Subscriber

This reporter incident is an absolute non story and it's an absolute embarrassment if it goes further than it has. 

Sunderland are down now but I don't know how much Moyes is to blame. His career has taken such an odd trajectory having had a good decade at Everton (and yes it was good, don't let people rewrite history and convince you he was a fraud. He took us from persistent relegation battlers to where we are now on no money, a side secure enough in the top half that even that bellend Martinez couldn't drag us any lower than 11th).

It was understandable that he struggled at United, anyone would have after Ferguson. Then going to Spain was a pretty stupid career move in hindsight, he should have been looking for a middling premier league club. Sunderland isn't an easy one either but that's probably the best you can do after back to back sackings.

On one hand he obviously has something about him else he wouldn't have done well enough with us to earn a shot at the United job. On the other this looks like his third unsuccessful post in a row since then, which isn't a coincidence and that's already more chances than you'd usually get at this level.

• The title was changed to Moyes Fined £30k for 'Slap' Comment to BBC Reporter

Archived