• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

David Moyes Discussion

Is David Moyes a good manager?   

12 members have voted

1. 1. Is David Moyes a good manager?

• Yes - The failings at United and Sociedad shouldn't tarnish his career
    • No - He's out of his depth and has failed on the big stage

He's a good, capable manager. On the level of Brendan Rodgers i.m.o.

He's just struggling to overturn his reputation that was quite unfairly disproportionately tarnished in his time at United, which is intrinsically linked to his aura and the response he is able to get out of players now in the dressing room. 

I wished he'd got a role at a better club than Sunderland for his return to EPL or that he'd drop down a division and pick a club he can mould a bit more as he's not a short term results man like Sam or TP.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

I feel like he's quite a steady, but rigid manager.

By this, I mean that you're never really going to get anything too spectacular with him. Everton floated around 5th-8th under him, which is good, but it isn't extraordinary.

His style of play, again, was steady, but nothing that's going to lead to the unthinkable.

The word I hear Sunderland fans use about him more than any other is uninspiring.

I think at Everton he did do well, but he didn't really have anything to show for it. His record away at the top clubs was pretty awful and what could you put that down to? Lack of inspiration?

A part of me is convinced Ferguson put Moyes' name forward because he knew he would fail and make Ferguson's reign look even better.

He's never really recovered either. Sunderland as a club need a kick up the arse, not someone uninspiring.

But it is a shame to see what's happened with him.

1 hour ago, HK85 said:

Somewhat true. The minimum expected of the board but there was always pressure to progress from the fans. 

Potential to push on also limited due to funds available. 

True of the last part though. 

Moyes was very good for us. Played some excellent stuff when we had the players to do so but when called for he changed it so we were horrible to play against and physical. 

He's damaged goods now, don't think he will ever get to the place he was with us. 

I did feel he held that team back at times, always made you out to be some plucky underdog when you had a very good team. No surprise you nearly broke into the top 4 the season after he left.

5 hours ago, Harry said:

He's a good, capable manager. On the level of Brendan Rodgers i.m.o.

He's just struggling to overturn his reputation that was quite unfairly disproportionately tarnished in his time at United, which is intrinsically linked to his aura and the response he is able to get out of players now in the dressing room. 

I wished he'd got a role at a better club than Sunderland for his return to EPL or that he'd drop down a division and pick a club he can mould a bit more as he's not a short term results man like Sam or TP.

Give me Brendan Rodgers over Dinosaur Moyes any day of the week. 

6 hours ago, Aaroncpfc said:

He's been dealt a bad hand with the lack of investment but that doesn't excuse the fact that he hasn't been able to get the best out of players like Khazri, Borini, Januzaj and Kone and he's neglected signing forward thinking midfielders in favour of an Everton reunion with players that peaked a couple of years ago. 

A revolutionary idea to get the best out of Khazri would be to perhaps try playing him :ph34r: 

That I think sums up why Moyes is taking Sunderland down without a fight.

Keep up the good work cod heed.

I don't think it's the worst move they could have made, they've been on the brink of relegation for 10 years. If they go down and come straight back (unlikely) they may be better off for it.

Given he has no experience at that level since February 2002, he has lost the support of the fans, he has not shown any creativity in the transfer market, a lot of his starting eleven are over the hill now and he's going to have to replace Jermaine Defoe I cannot see this ending well. 

The Championship will be a great learning curve for the likes of Watmore I think there stay in the black hole will be a lot longer than recent years.

On 2017-5-6 at 7:34 AM, Aaroncpfc said:

Given he has no experience at that level since February 2002, he has lost the support of the fans, he has not shown any creativity in the transfer market, a lot of his starting eleven are over the hill now and he's going to have to replace Jermaine Defoe I cannot see this ending well. 

The Championship will be a great learning curve for the likes of Watmore I think there stay in the black hole will be a lot longer than recent years.

I don't think he was really backed to spend though. Sunderland have thrown a lot of money at previous managers without it delivering any benefits. I think they were hoping Moyes could break them out of that cycle ideally without spending much nor dropping down but obviously didn't work out like that. 

They spent about right for the club they are.

Boro 44m

Burnley 38m

Bournemouth 34m

Hull 34m

Sunderland 33m

Stoke 32m

West Brom 32m

At the end of the season Sunderland will have managed to spend the same as the competition but have regressed by about 10-15 points.

• Subscriber

Still sort of hope he finds a way to prove himself again. After what he did for Everton it would be a shame for his career to peter out so badly but you only get so many chances and this is the third club in a row that's he's not got the job done.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

£30k fine for Moyes' comments towards Vicki Sparks

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40221090

Former Sunderland manager David Moyes has been fined £30,000 by the FA after telling BBC reporter Vicki Sparks she might "get a slap" in March.

Moyes' comments came following the Black Cats' home draw against Burnleyin the Premier League.

The Scot was asked by Sparks if the presence of Sunderland's owner Ellis Short had put extra pressure on him.

Moyes, who resigned as Sunderland boss in May, subsequently expressed "deep regret" for his comment.

Moyes responded to Sparks' question about Short's presence by saying "no", but after the interview added she "might get a slap even though you're a woman" and told her to be "careful" next time she visited.

Both Moyes and Sparks were laughing during the exchange and the former Everton and Manchester United manager later apologised to Sparks, who did not make a complaint.

Speaking at a news conference on 3 April after the incident came to light, he said: "It was in the heat of the moment. I deeply regret the comments I made.

"That's certainly not the person I am. I've accepted the mistake. I spoke to the BBC reporter, who accepted my apology."

• The title was changed to Moyes Fined £30k for 'Slap' Comment to BBC Reporter
  • 1 month later...
  • Subscriber
1 minute ago, LFCMadLad said:

I think He's got a point but I'd be extremely dubious about a man who signed Felliani twice. 

#notthebestjudge

You mean Fellaini who nobody had heard of when Moyes signed him who went on to become arguably Everton's best player and has been utilised at Man Utd by two managers after Moyes?

20 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

You mean Fellaini who nobody had heard of when Moyes signed him who went on to become arguably Everton's best player and has been utilised at Man Utd by two managers after Moyes?

That's the one 👍🏻

Felliani being Everton's best player is nothing to be proud of.  

Fucking shite mate, absolute yard dog. 

17 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I think He's got a point but I'd be extremely dubious about a man who signed Felliani twice. 

#notthebestjudge

I'm dubious because he thinks Ryan Giggs was special.

Yes David, what Man Utd are lacking is a winger who scores 3 goals a season and shags his brothers wife.

:ph34r:

• 5 months later...

West Ham have "categorically refuted" claims David Moyes is unlikely to remain at the club next season even if they stay in the Premier League.

The club issued a statement on Tuesday morning after reports that they were already thinking about a long-term replacement for Moyes, who took over from Slaven Bilic in November.

he Scotsman has guided West Ham up to 12th place but they are still only three points above the relegation zone with 12 games remaining.

And a West Ham spokesman told Sky Sports News nothing had changed in terms of their long-term management situation.

The spokesman said: "The club would like to place on record that it categorically refutes the claims made by the Daily Telegraph regarding manager David Moyes.

"There is absolutely no truth whatsoever to this story. As previously stated on a number of occasions, the club and David Moyes agreed a deal until the end of the 2017/18 season, at which point both parties will sit down and discuss the future.

"Until then, the board and David Moyes will continue to work closely together with the manager having full responsibility of footballing matters and the full support of the board.

"Everyone's sole focus is on trying to achieve results for West Ham United."

• Subscriber

Underrated manager when he's given the time and freedom to put his stamp on a club.

We've gotten worse by the day since he left.

But I also don't like him and the fact that I'm thinking that way is another reason that Everton can fuck off this season. Add it to the pile.

Archived