talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Features when purchasing a new camera

football forum

• Subscriber

Anybody know much about cameras? Always used my phone but am looking to purchase a camera, for my holiday in April. Other family members will use it when required, looking around £250, but want a small one.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

It really depends on what phone he's got and what is he going to use the camera for. If his phone is modern and on higher-end then yes, a point-and-shoot in his budget range won't be superior to the phone camera in any way except optical zoom and would be pretty much a waste of money. If he's got an older or cheaper phone then it's not necessarily true as even low-end point-and-shoots still have a much larger sensor and wider apertures so the image quality would be better, especially in low light conditions. 

7 minutes ago, nudge said:

It really depends on what phone he's got and what is he going to use the camera for. If his phone is modern and on higher-end then yes, a point-and-shoot in his budget range won't be superior to the phone camera in any way except optical zoom and would be pretty much a waste of money. If he's got an older or cheaper phone then it's not necessarily true as even low-end point-and-shoots still have a much larger sensor and wider apertures so the image quality would be better, especially in low light conditions. 

The point being that innovation is Poind and shoot has stopped, with the latest being mirrorless cameras, which are point and shoot with interchangable lenses, which, I reckon, the OP is keen to avoid.

There are a bunch of very high zoom cameras that are available, like the SX70HS, but they are required to be around your neck.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, AMG said:

The point being that innovation is Poind and shoot has stopped, with the latest being mirrorless cameras, which are point and shoot with interchangable lenses, which, I reckon, the OP is keen to avoid.

There are a bunch of very high zoom cameras that are available, like the SX70HS, but they are required to be around your neck.

High-end compact cameras like Sony’s RX100 production line is still way superior to phone cameras though, but then so is the price and I don't know why someone would even buy it for just a casual shot here and there. I'm not into point and shoot or power zoom cameras anyway; I like to have a high degree of control and only DSLR can give you that...

Just now, nudge said:

High-end compact cameras like Sony’s RX100 production line is still way superior to phone cameras though, but then so is the price and I don't know why someone would even buy it for just a casual shot here and there. I'm not into point and shoot or power zoom cameras anyway; I like to have a high degree of control and only DSLR can give you that...

I have, at multiple times, almost pulled out my card to get one, but always, there is this little thing in the back of my mind about the practicality that holds me back.

And, ofcourse not living a life not happening as yours.:57_cry:

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, AMG said:

I have, at multiple times, almost pulled out my card to get one, but always, there is this little thing in the back of my mind about the practicality that holds me back.

And, ofcourse not living a life not happening as yours.:57_cry:

I started shooting film with analog SLRs almost 20 years ago and only fully switched to digital ones a few years back haha...Almost always buy used too. I'd rather get a cheaper/older model camera body and invest more into quality lenses as that makes the most difference anyway...

• Subscriber

Like the rest said, an S9 is going to be more than plenty for a trip with shots under lots of lighting conditions and the on-board firmware/software will take care of so much for you that a P&S won't. Having said that, however, I saw someone take pics with a P&S last May and they were just stunning, wish I had asked what P&S it was because they looked really nice. I've been eyeing an X100 as my next camera just have to take a trip somewhere to buy it as its unnecessarily expensive here.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Mel81x said:

Like the rest said, an S9 is going to be more than plenty for a trip with shots under lots of lighting conditions and the on-board firmware/software will take care of so much for you that a P&S won't. Having said that, however, I saw someone take pics with a P&S last May and they were just stunning, wish I had asked what P&S it was because they looked really nice. I've been eyeing an X100 as my next camera just have to take a trip somewhere to buy it as its unnecessarily expensive here.

What's a P and S? If the pictures will mostly be taken at night. Would a camera be better?

• Subscriber
25 minutes ago, MUFC said:

What's a P and S? If the pictures will mostly be taken at night. Would a camera be better?

P&S = Point and Shoot

Even if you're taking pics at night your camera phone can actually brighten the environment up and is probably far easier to use than an actual budget camera. If you want clear night pictures that's a whole other realm of photography, particularly lenses, that isn't in the portable range.

19 hours ago, MUFC said:

Digital it is, I'm not some expert so basic will do, one that fits well in pockets. Will look gay putting it around my neck.

7 hours ago, MUFC said:

Ah!

So now you are suddenly okay with looking gay.

Interesting.............

• Subscriber
12 hours ago, MUFC said:

It really doesn't. I suppose you're looking at megapixel count which you really shouldn't as it's not all that important here. The most important spec to consider is sensor size, and that Canon Powershot SX730 HS one you linked to has a tiny 1/2.3" one which doesn't differ from a modern smartphone (including your S9 which has a sensor of 1/2.5") much. Moreover, the Canon has a slow lens on both ends with maximum apertures of f/3.3 on wide and f/6.9 on tele (in comparison S9 has variable f/1.5 and F2.4 aperture modes) - those numbers probably don't tell you much but basically the higher the f-number, the slower the lens; meaning that the amount of light that travels through the lens while the shutter is open is lower and it will struggle in low light conditions. Your S9 will be vastly superior to it when it comes to taking low-light images. Now the only actual advantage the Canon camera has is its zoom range. However, given the small sensor, slow lens and low light sensitivity it will only do well at bright daylight and even then I expect it would disappoint at the near maximum end of zoom. Not sure how much of it will you need anyway if you're planning to use it on your trips where wide angle lens is a priority.

Of course it's up to you; if you want a camera then by all means go for it. Just don't expect the image quality to be superior as it's very unlikely that any point and shoot camera with 1/2.3 inch sensor will outperform your smartphone camera. If you want significantly better quality look for one with at least 1 inch sensor and aperture range that's not higher than f/2.8-4.5 or so.

Archived