talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Features when purchasing a new camera

football forum

13 hours ago, MUFC said:

5 hours ago, AMG said:

Ah!

So now you are suddenly okay with looking gay.

Interesting.............

5 hours ago, MUFC said:

What do you mean?

Apologies.

I got confused with SX70 HS. (the names are way too similar sounding, anyway) https://www.canon.co.uk/cameras/powershot-sx70-hs/

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, nudge said:

It really doesn't. I suppose you're looking at megapixel count which you really shouldn't as it's not all that important here. The most important spec to consider is sensor size, and that Canon Powershot SX730 HS one you linked to has a tiny 1/2.3" one which doesn't differ from a modern smartphone (including your S9 which has a sensor of 1/2.5") much. Moreover, the Canon has a slow lens on both ends with maximum apertures of f/3.3 on wide and f/6.9 on tele (in comparison S9 has variable f/1.5 and F2.4 aperture modes) - those numbers probably don't tell you much but basically the higher the f-number, the slower the lens; meaning that the amount of light that travels through the lens while the shutter is open is lower and it will struggle in low light conditions. Your S9 will be vastly superior to it when it comes to taking low-light images. Now the only actual advantage the Canon camera has is its zoom range. However, given the small sensor, slow lens and low light sensitivity it will only do well at bright daylight and even then I expect it would disappoint at the near maximum end of zoom. Not sure how much of it will you need anyway if you're planning to use it on your trips where wide angle lens is a priority.

Of course it's up to you; if you want a camera then by all means go for it. Just don't expect the image quality to be superior as it's very unlikely that any point and shoot camera with 1/2.3 inch sensor will outperform your smartphone camera. If you want significantly better quality look for one with at least 1 inch sensor and aperture range that's not higher than f/2.8-4.5 or so.

Your depth of knowledge on cameras is amazing I have to say.. 

• Subscriber
43 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Your depth of knowledge on cameras is amazing I have to say.. 

Thanks... it really is just the very basics of photography though; back then then there was no digital photography it was essential to know the basic concepts of aperture/shutter speed/ISO and how a camera works in general. You only had a roll of film with limited amount of frames and no instant results so you had to wait for the right moment, use it wisely, and know what you're doing before you pressed the shutter release... That's one of the reasons why I will always prefer film over digital (despite the many advantages of the latter) as it forces you to slow down, think and understand exposure in order to take better photos and improve your skill instead of taking a gazillion of shots and then choosing the best one and using some software to make it even better... 

9 minutes ago, nudge said:

Thanks... it really is just the very basics of photography though; back then then there was no digital photography it was essential to know the basic concepts of aperture/shutter speed/ISO and how a camera works in general. You only had a roll of film with limited amount of frames and no instant results so you had to wait for the right moment, use it wisely, and know what you're doing before you pressed the shutter release... That's one of the reasons why I will always prefer film over digital (despite the many advantages of the latter) as it forces you to think and understand exposure in order to take better photos and improve your skill instead of taking a gazillion of shots and then choosing the best one and using some software to make it even better... 

My youngest daughter has just recently got a camera, I don't know what it is I will try and find out next time she is home.. she was taking pictures with it over christmas but have not seen any of them yet so don't know what the quality is like, I have a tendency to just use my phone camera as I am not into it in a serious way and they seem to come out quite clear, ( I took all the pictures of the garden project with it ) although recently they seem to have been a little less quality then I thought they used to be.. could just be me though, maybe it's my eyes that are losing focus.. xD

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

My youngest daughter has just recently got a camera, I don't know what it is I will try and find out next time she is home.. she was taking pictures with it over christmas but have not seen any of them yet so don't know what the quality is like, I have a tendency to just use my phone camera as I am not into it in a serious way and they seem to come out quite clear, ( I took all the pictures of the garden project with it ) although recently they seem to have been a little less quality then I thought they used to be.. could just be me though, maybe it's my eyes that are losing focus.. xD

Oh for sure, phone cameras are perfect for most people on the planet who take pics casually; digital photography is great in that sense as it made taking photos cheap, easy, convenient and very accessible. There's no need to know all the technical details and principles behind it (unless you're like me and like taking things apart to know how stuff works xD) in that case. I was talking about those new amateur/hobbyist photographers who are really missing out if they fail to learn the basics of what they are doing and just spend money on increasingly expensive gear thinking that it alone will make the difference while they still shoot in auto mode because they can't be bothered to learn how it all works...

1 minute ago, nudge said:

Oh for sure, phone cameras are perfect for most people on the planet who take pics casually; digital photography is great in that sense as it made taking photos cheap, easy, convenient and very accessible. There's no need to know all the technical details and principles behind it (unless you're like me and like taking things apart to know how stuff works xD) in that case. I was talking about those new amateur/hobbyist photographers who are really missing out if they fail to learn the basics of what they are doing and just spend money on increasingly expensive gear thinking that it alone will make the difference while they still shoot in auto mode because they can't be bothered to learn how it all works...

Totally, not worth having a real passion for something unless you are prepared to learn all there is to know about it... 

Archived