talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Oscars and Golden Globes

football forum

Joaquin Phoenix was great in Joker, but it’s sad that Adam Driver (who was incredible in Marriage Story) will probably lose out on the best actor Oscar to the pressure of giving Phoenix the award. 

Joker will be nominated for best picture, which is does not deserve.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Cicero said:

Not having that mate. 

Phoenix will win because of his performance. Won’t have anything to do with pressure. His performance was as good as anything DeNiro or Lewis dished out. 

Don’t agree. His performance was excellent but definitely not one of the best of all time. I’m not saying he wouldn’t be a worthy winner, but not at the expense of Driver. It’s a shame both are up for the award this year. 

7 hours ago, Stan said:

Gervais was superb. Loved every minute of that intro.

The Judi Dench bit had me in stitches.

I do wonder what that crowd actually think of him. Like do they find him quite a nice person in group situations but know he's brutal behind the mic, or is he just as much of an arrogant C off camera?

Do they understand and respect his brutal style of comedy or do they resent it?

I'd have liked to see di caprios face after that Prince Andrew remark.

What’s the consensus on Joker round here? Cause I’ve came across people who love it, and then others like myself who just think it was decent. 

I ask, because it’s leading the nominations at the Oscars and I just can’t fathom how it’s so highly rated. Phoenix’s performance aside, it’s not a great film by any means. Annoys me that it’ll probably win more awards than something like 1917, which is cinema at its highest quality. 

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Rick said:

What’s the consensus on Joker round here? Cause I’ve came across people who love it, and then others like myself who just think it was decent. 

I ask, because it’s leading the nominations at the Oscars and I just can’t fathom how it’s so highly rated. Phoenix’s performance aside, it’s not a great film by any means. Annoys me that it’ll probably win more awards than something like 1917, which is cinema at its highest quality. 

Posted it in the Joker thread a while ago so just a copy paste:

Watched this tonight. As expected, an outstanding performance by Joaquin Phoenix but other than that...meh. I thought that it was way too one-dimensional, too heavy handed and lacked nuances to be seen as a great character study of a mentally ill person in a hostile society that the movie tried to be. 

16 minutes ago, nudge said:

Posted it in the Joker thread a while ago so just a copy paste:

Watched this tonight. As expected, an outstanding performance by Joaquin Phoenix but other than that...meh. I thought that it was way too one-dimensional, too heavy handed and lacked nuances to be seen as a great character study of a mentally ill person in a hostile society that the movie tried to be. 

Pretty much sums up my thoughts. With your last point, the problem is that A LOT of people are really believing that his actions are those of a person with a severe mental illness. The film paints society as one that is against people like that, and promotes anarchy. Now, normally with a comic book film you can write that off as far fetched, but people really are looking to this film as a real statement, which I think is ridiculous. I really really hated the heavy handedness of it all. 

38 minutes ago, Rick said:

It won’t win best picture, but Phoenix will win best actor 

• 4 weeks later...

So tonight is the night where Joker wins more awards than it deserves (acting for Phoenix and nothing else). Be very happy if the academy actually rated the film on its qualities and not popularity. 

3 minutes ago, Rick said:

So tonight is the night where Joker wins more awards than it deserves (acting for Phoenix and nothing else). Be very happy if the academy actually rated the film on its qualities and not popularity. 

I would be surprised if Joker wins more than one: 

• Subscriber

Don't see why anyone is upset the Joaquin won for Best Actor it was a terribly hard role to act and he really did it well. Having said that, it seems like the best way to get an Oscar is to pick some Batman material, twist it a bit and you're off to the races if you get the cast right. I am not saying that it'd win best picture or anything of the sort but it seems like all the core Batman stories seem to offer writers/producers/sound engineers the opportunity to really shine and they've only done the more popular stuff so far.

1 hour ago, True Blue said:

Seen the results, pretty much okay. However i was shocked Parasite got the win, the movies was good but not Oscar worthy in my opinion.

Probably a diversity thing. :ph34r:

ANYWAY, gotta watch that movie now. Never heard of it before tbh. 

Joaquin winning best actor was just expected and justified. He was the only real spectacular thing about that movie. 

Just now, Tommy said:

Probably a diversity thing. 

ANYWAY, gotta watch that movie now. Never heard of it before tbh. 

Joaquin winning best actor was just expected and justified. He was the only real spectacular thing about that movie. 

I'd say it isn't a classic Asian movie, if the actors were American you wouldn't be astonished. However have a look and get back to this. Agreed on Phoenix won every award that has any significance, excellent performance. I'd even say his performance was the movie, if it wasn't that good the movie would be just okay.

Gonna have to pop Parasite to the top of my must watch list now. 

I don’t begrudge Phoenix the win, as he was the only good think about that film. He deserves it not only for the performance, but for his career thus far. 

On 10/02/2020 at 07:26, True Blue said:

Seen the results, pretty much okay. However i was shocked Parasite got the win, the movies was good but not Oscar worthy in my opinion.

I hadn't heard of it. Although it is highly regarded by some of the best film critics in the world so what do I know. Personally I think there are so many subjective things in films it's very difficult to say what is better because it depends on what you like. It's the same with all the arts in my opinion.

• Subscriber

So I actually saw Parasite the week before. I sort of Agree with Trueblue in that It isnt my favourite asian movie but ill disagree in that it was excellent. Oscar worthy? I havent seen alot of the others on the list but nothing really sticks out to me so maybe? There really is alot going on in the film and it has the classic asian movie craziness while providing a pretty stark contrast and alot of truth in their society. I can see how they liked it it so much and I think it did deserve the screen play award and all of the plaudits the director has gotten.

Archived