talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Bastia Must Play Behind Closed Doors After Lyon Game Violence

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

What the fuck have Lyon done recently to piss off the world?

Their fans got in some big fights with Besiktas (I know aren't the most innocent either).

Why would Bastia fans attack them?

Haven't seen any of it, though the Lyon players have refused to go back onto the pitch for their own safety.  The match has now been abandoned.

I have read that Memphis Depay was arguing with one of their "ultras" which caused a pitch invasion.  Apparently the fans had thrown something at Lyon's reserve goalkeeper Mathieu Gorgelin and the trouble started when Memphis Depay threw it back at them.

1 hour ago, Cannabis said:

Disgusting. 

''Ultras'' really are the most cringe-worthy mongs in football. 

The fans in Corsica are crazy as well.  I'm not surprised the Lyon players are refusing to go back out.  The gang mentality created by the existence of these "ultras" groups creates real problems and is still, unfortunately, an issue in French football. The PSG board years ago (just prior to their cash injection) took steps towards dealing with their own problems but it still manages to resurface all over the country.

1 hour ago, Cannabis said:

Don't get me wrong I'm as passionate about my club as the next guy and I'll admit there has been times where I've wanted to run onto the pitch and nail into an opposition player but is this really the atmosphere we want to have in football? It's totally backward thinking to support this kind of behaviour and if it continues it will only hurt the team that these ''Ultras'' proclaim to support. 

Bastia will no doubt face severe sanctions for this and maybe even a points deduction?

Definitely.  At the end of the day, it's entertainment and the players are doing their job.  Heckle them from afar, of course, but to run onto the pitch in an attempt to attack them is far too extreme.

It'll be interesting to see what the LFP does about this incident!  Replay the match behind closed doors?  Empty stadium?

1 hour ago, Spike said:

Hasn't 'football hooliganism' been on a delay for the rest of Europe? I hear they are only now getting to the levels of the English in the 80s.

Several countries with this problem on different levels.  In some countries it seems to be growing whilst in others it's showing signs of regressing.  Weird how the culture of football merges with the culture of different countries.

The intellect in me would go on a rant about how it's a reflection on the rising political tensions in these countries (France in particular at the moment), but that's maybe for another thread on another day. :22_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Several countries with this problem on different levels.  In some countries it seems to be growing whilst in others it's showing signs of regressing.  Weird how the culture of football merges with the culture of different countries.

The intellect in me would go on a rant about how it's a reflection on the rising political tensions in these countries (France in particular at the moment), but that's maybe for another thread on another day. :22_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

No, I can definitely see a rise in football hooliganism tied to the social and political disenfranchisement of the working classes.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

No, I can definitely see a rise in football hooliganism tied to the social and political disenfranchisement of the working classes.

That plus the uncertain political times, especially for a country like France where the far-right are having their usual pre-election resurgence in popularity but a far-left candidate is also seeing his popularity rising in the polls.  The centrist parties are fighting it out among themselves but are clearly worrying about what's to come.  There are several issues in France which need dealt with and with the future looking ever-more unstable and the politics uncertain, the football fans are trying to find their own way of expressing themselves by clinging onto an extreme version of what they see as simply supporting their club.  This'll continue for a while.

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

That plus the uncertain political times, especially for a country like France where the far-right are having their usual pre-election resurgence in popularity but a far-left candidate is also seeing his popularity rising in the polls.  The centrist parties are fighting it out among themselves but are clearly worrying about what's to come.  There are several issues in France which need dealt with and with the future looking ever-more unstable and the politics uncertain, the football fans are trying to find their own way of expressing themselves by clinging onto an extreme version of what they see as simply supporting their club.  This'll continue for a while.

I've always felt that the politics is best when it sways from right to left every election. It ensure there are enough changes on different issues.

• Administrator
16 hours ago, Jay said:

Definitely.  At the end of the day, it's entertainment and the players are doing their job.  Heckle them from afar, of course, but to run onto the pitch in an attempt to attack them is far too extreme.

It'll be interesting to see what the LFP does about this incident!  Replay the match behind closed doors?  Empty stadium?

surely some harsh punishment for Bastia? 

more footage:

• The title was changed to Bastia Must Play Behind Closed Doors After Lyon Game Violence

Bastia must play their next home game behind closed doors at a neutral ground after their Ligue 1 match with Lyon was abandoned on Sunday.

Kick-off was delayed by 55 minutes, as Bastia fans tried to attack visiting Lyon players during their warm-up.

Lyon were then persuaded to start the match - having initially refused - before a further incident caused the abandonment at half-time.

Bastia's next home game is against Rennes on 29 April.

The French league's disciplinary commission said that "in view of the seriousness" of the incidents, it had suspended the Armand-Cesari stadium as a precautionary measure and would "relocate SC Bastia's next home game to a neutral ground behind closed doors".

The league also ordered the space allocated to visiting fans to be closed at Bastia's away games, without specifying how long this closure would last for.

Bastia are bottom of Ligue 1, three points from safety.

The Corsican club were made to close part of their stadium for three matches after a group of supporters shouted racist insults at Nice striker Mario Balotelli during a 1-1 draw in January.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39671217

• 2 weeks later...

Archived