talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Newcastle 2-1 Man City - Tuesday 29th January, 2019

football forum

• Administrator
Just now, Bluewolf said:

Even so... holding United to a draw away given the recent form of United.. very unexpected

Yep, agreed. In such a good position up to stoppage time, could have been better!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The title was changed to Newcastle 2-1 Man City - Tuesday 29th January, 2019
2 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

City never look like clawing back any of these recent losses.

Happy for Newcastle though. Be a tragedy if they got relegated again instead of Burnley or Southampton.

There's definitely a mental weakness to City. They're beginning to look a bit like PSG, in the sense of being absolutely unstoppable when things click and then oddly weak when put up against it.

• Subscriber

Liverpool will win the league comfortably I think. I reckon there'll be no proper title race. Man City have lost games from winning positions three times in just over a month. Liverpool have that knack of winning in all situations this season and Man City don't.

If Liverpool beat us tomorrow, they will win it. If not, maybe it's game on.

Let's be honest, if Aguero's goal is allowed to stand first half, it's game over. They have been done over by that decision after KDB's quick free kick.

That said, I thought they were good for about 24 seconds of that game, the rest very sub par by their standards.

7 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Let's be honest, if Aguero's goal is allowed to stand first half, it's game over. They have been done over by that decision after KDB's quick free kick.

That said, I thought they were good for about 24 seconds of that game, the rest very sub par by their standards.

How? The referee made it clear to de bruyne that he wasn't to take it quickly, he did and it was disallowed. 

17 minutes ago, Inverted said:

There's definitely a mental weakness to City. They're beginning to look a bit like PSG, in the sense of being absolutely unstoppable when things click and then oddly weak when put up against it.

There may be a bit of truth in that. Guadiola took a sabbatical when he left Barcelona because of the pressure. And city gave away a 2.0 lead against utd last year. A lot of people though when the pressure was on city might be the best at coping with it but maybe not

• Subscriber

There's been a lot written and said about Guardiola having a tendency to 'burn out' a football club because of his ridiculously high level of intensity.

There's a lot more pressure on City to win the league than Liverpool. Liverpool have just been that good that if they keep it up for the rest of the season and City ended up close to them it would be forgivable to come second, even if really they have no excuse for anyone in the country to outdo them with their squad and resources. That's not the case anymore though, they've lost enough games that they'd be under pressure at the top even in a normal season when you don't have a rival with the ridiculous consistency Liverpool have shown. Assuming Liverpool and Spurs both win tomorrow, City would be 7 points behind 1st and only 2 points ahead of 3rd place. 

No league title and no Champions League would make this season a poor one for Man City and there really isn't an excuse for it, even if they won both domestic cups which looks a solid possibility. If Liverpool do restore their 7 point lead tomorrow it might be time for Pep to make that tough choice and go all out in Europe even if they have to play a couple of weakened teams in the league as a result.

14 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

How? The referee made it clear to de bruyne that he wasn't to take it quickly, he did and it was disallowed. 

I just feel its daft to penalise an attacking team from trying to get on with the game. De Bruyne was trying to be clever and it went against him because the referee slowed it down. Even more pedantic, he got booked for it.

• Administrator
51 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I just feel its daft to penalise an attacking team from trying to get on with the game. De Bruyne was trying to be clever and it went against him because the referee slowed it down. Even more pedantic, he got booked for it.

But the referee blatantly said to him wait for the whistle. If he hadn't have gestured that, then fair enough. Agreed with Phil Dowd in that it De Bruyne takes the free kick and it goes to the other side of the box, and a challenge is made which could result in a penalty, is the ref in the right position close to the free kick? I'd say no. The ref wants de Bruyne to wait for the whistle so that he can get in a better position in case something does happen. I think it's good refereeing in general but I don't agree with the law that he should be booked for it. It's like being booked for celebrating a goal with the fans which you get booked for as well. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived