talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Miguel Almiron Moves to Newcastle for £20m

• Administrator

On his way to Newcastle apparently.

Mike Ashley finally putting his hands in to his pockets for once.

Should be a good signing for them. One of my favourite players to watch, in Atlanta's system, last season when watching MLS. Very attacking, skilful and bit of an eye for goal.

@Eco @Harvsky @Rafa Beneathus

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

27M should feel like a lot but given today's market, it really isn't. It is concerning that they are paying this much for an unproven player at European level though. Signings from outside of Europe should be cheap with the potential to surprise and make it a bargain. Almiron is good but if he flops then it will still be the record signing, gone to bad.

3 hours ago, Blue said:

27M should feel like a lot but given today's market, it really isn't. It is concerning that they are paying this much for an unproven player at European level though. Signings from outside of Europe should be cheap with the potential to surprise and make it a bargain. Almiron is good but if he flops then it will still be the record signing, gone to bad.

Our current record signing is Michael Owen, detested by the fans of every club he has played for. 

God bless the lad. Incredible player for us, and a great guy from everyone that had the chance to meet him. Only two years but he is absolutely legendary status here in Atlanta, and I guess I am now a Newcastle supporter. 

Vamos Miggy, Vamos

14 minutes ago, José said:

Rafa knows. Good player but dont let the MLS league numbers fool you. 

He won't find the space in England that he has in the MLS that's for sure, but he can still play some great balls and get out of tight situations when needed. If he can showcase his speed and pace, then Newcastle may have hit gold. 

In all reality though, I hope he crushes it. Absolute Legend. 

• Administrator
41 minutes ago, Eco said:

He won't find the space in England that he has in the MLS that's for sure, but he can still play some great balls and get out of tight situations when needed. If he can showcase his speed and pace, then Newcastle may have hit gold. 

In all reality though, I hope he crushes it. Absolute Legend. 

i hope he manages to live up to the physicality of the Premier League. MLS is like a kids playground compared to how it can be in the Premier League. He's not the biggest built player either...

Hope he turns out to be a good signing for Newcastle because thats a lot of money for them to spend on 1 player, if he turns out to be a flop Ashley probably wont give Rafa anymore money.

I recognise the name because he was a fantastic free transfer on Fifa 18. Used to sign him with every team on career mode xD

39 minutes ago, Stan said:

i hope he manages to live up to the physicality of the Premier League. MLS is like a kids playground compared to how it can be in the Premier League. He's not the biggest built player either...

That is certainly a scare. He's a stick and seems to get clipped on a regular basis, so getting a strong shoulder tackle will be something he's not really used to and might throw him off. 

Hopefully not though. 

Rafa threatened to quit if this deal wasn't done. His leverage is starting to show and his contract is up in the summer so there should be more leverage again.

Looks like more last minute loan deals coming in as well. 

I've seen the correlation charts that show whenever the national press start turning on Ashley the club spend some money. One thing he doesn't like is being the headline bogeyman in the tabloids.

• Subscriber
21 hours ago, Harvsky said:

Rafa threatened to quit if this deal wasn't done. His leverage is starting to show and his contract is up in the summer so there should be more leverage again.

Good, I love it when someone gets one over on Ashley and I hope Rafa does it again, and again and...:congrats:

2 hours ago, Eco said:

@Harvsky - Do you think Miggy makes an appearance this weekend? 

I'll have to double check but it depends if he has been registered in time. He might be on the bench. Rafa isn't one for throwing players in.

I'm looking forward to seeing him play off Rondon. Did you guys play him more on the wing or as a number 10?

8 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

I'll have to double check but it depends if he has been registered in time. He might be on the bench. Rafa isn't one for throwing players in.

I'm looking forward to seeing him play off Rondon. Did you guys play him more on the wing or as a number 10?

#10 for sure, and when he found space is when he would draw defenders towards him and he was play beautiful passes toward Josef (our #9 and MLS Golden Boot Winner/MVP), which would result in a lot of easier-ish scoring chances. 

When we tried to play him on the wing, he looked..stuck. but put him in the middle, give him the ball, and he would take off, usually ending in either a foul or a goal. 

And while I understand it's the MLS, I was constantly amazed how he always seemed to go past the first defender. He'd either use speed, mis-direction, or some other form of trickery which was really the catalyst for 80% of our scoring opportunities.  

1 hour ago, Eco said:

#10 for sure, and when he found space is when he would draw defenders towards him and he was play beautiful passes toward Josef (our #9 and MLS Golden Boot Winner/MVP), which would result in a lot of easier-ish scoring chances. 

When we tried to play him on the wing, he looked..stuck. but put him in the middle, give him the ball, and he would take off, usually ending in either a foul or a goal. 

Good to know. There's always decent space away from home as the onus is on opposition to come out and we cannot control possession. At home the bottom 10 will play tight against us.

We haven't been playing with a number 10 lately but it is a patchwork side we've got right now. We've been getting a lot of joy with a back 5 and then 4 in the middle with the two wide men wandering inside a fair bit. I think Rafa will probably stick with that for the time being. We'd have to go with a middle 3 to allow him to play number 10 which I'm sure will be tried at some point.

1 minute ago, Harvsky said:

Our local paper is saying the fee is £16m, which doesn't break the transfer record, but there are various addons that could take the fee to £21m unless we get relegated :4_joy:

I think we paid $3m for him. Unreal the value we got for that. 

• The title was changed to Miguel Almiron Moves to Newcastle for £20m

Archived