The better place to talk football.

Miguel Almiron Moves to Newcastle for £20m

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Harvsky said:

Also @Eco

Thanks - 

It'll probably be the highest viewed EPL match in Atlanta when he plays. A lot of the ST holders are already talking about buying the Newcastle kit with his name on the back. 

He seems like slightly taller Iago Aspas. 

Also, Rafa loves his wide forwards. Had the obsession of playing strikers out wide at LFC. Cisse, Voronin failed but Kuyt clicked. 

Can't remember anyone apart from Gerrard playing number 10 behind Nando. And that was because he had two DMs in Masch and Alonso.

Is this the player the MLS tried comparing to Messi, Ronaldo etc?

For me the MLS is League One to Championship standard, plenty of Championship players have made the step up to the Prem before but I don’t think it’s a guarantee he’ll do well.

• Subscriber

Miguel Almiron: Newcastle United sign playmaker for club record fee of £20m

_105424208_gettyimages-1126451854.jpg

Almiron could make his debut against Spurs on Saturday

Newcastle have broken their transfer record to sign Paraguay playmaker Miguel Almiron from MLS side Atlanta United for about £20m.

It beats the £16m they paid Real Madrid for Michael Owen in 2005, and also breaks the MLS transfer record.

The 24-year-old has featured in the MLS team of the year for the past two seasons and scored 13 goals as Atlanta won their first MLS Cup last term.

"I'm very happy and eager to start and to meet my new team-mates," he said.

"The league is very competitive, this is a historic club, and Rafa Benitez himself were the main reasons why I am here now.

"I think it is a great responsibility, something beautiful for me, and I will try to offer the best I can to repay the trust the club put in me."

Capped 13 times by his country, Almiron is highly regarded in his homeland for his football intelligence, pace and left foot.

He started his career at Cerro Porteno in Paraguay before moving to Argentina's Lanus.

And he was one of only six players to record double figures for both goals and assists (11) in Major League Soccer in 2018.

Unlike the signing of Owen, Almiron was not greeted by 15,000 supporters at St James' Park, but the fee does represent a shift from the club's relatively modest outlay in recent times.

Martin Dubravka, Ki Sung-yueng, Fabian Schar, Yoshinori Mutu and Federico Fernandez all joined in the summer for a total of about £22m.

_105422002_mbstadium.jpg

_105422000_carlosbocanegra.jpg

Newcastle have also signed defender Antonio Barreca on loan from Monaco until the end of the season with the option of a permanent deal.

The 23-year-old former Italy Under-21 international joined the French club last summer from Torino.

"I know that Newcastle is a big and historic club," he said. "I know that the people here really love football and that the fans are really behind the team."

_105424673_tweet.jpg

Newcastle fans reacted in shock to the news the club had broken their long-standing transfer record

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47072107

On 31/01/2019 at 16:29, Danny said:

Is this the player the MLS tried comparing to Messi, Ronaldo etc?

For me the MLS is League One to Championship standard, plenty of Championship players have made the step up to the Prem before but I don’t think it’s a guarantee he’ll do well.

It's not even a slightly similar situation :dam:

1 minute ago, Danny said:

Go to sleep Blue

Its 4 PM - and I'd rather call you out for being utterly clueless.

You cannot compare a feeder league that exports young players to the championship ffs.

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

Its 4 PM - and I'd rather call you out for being utterly clueless.

You cannot compare a feeder league that exports young players to the championship ffs.

For being similar in quality? Yeah I can.

The Championship exports young players.

I watched quite a lot of MLS football last season and honestly the defending is worse than the majority of League Two players. The marking just isn't there.

If you watch a montage of Bradley Wright-Phillips goals last season I reckon he wouldn't score about 2/3rds of them at League One level.

There are clearly good indiviuals, but there's a reason why Robbie Keane loved playing over there in his later years.

Just now, Danny said:

For being similar in quality? Yeah I can.

The Championship exports young players.

It might be similar in quality, but there is no point of comparison when the past few years the MLS has gotten out of that "retirement league" quota to try and export young players as another way of gaining profile.

I don't know which players the Championship has exported, but I'm not counting loans and the only one that occurs to me is Dele Alli which I think was league 1 - look how successful that was. Players like Jordan Rhodes don't count because he wasn't exactly "young" when he started to take off.

Especially in Almiron's case, he has to start somewhere. A Paraguayan isn't going to start in England ffs.

The only part of your post I agree with is that he's not guaranteed to be a good signing - it's why European teams only sign young footballers from other continents because they are unproven with time to change that. Scocco was a great player but he went to Europe way too late and was a flop as a result. Almiron is young though so putting the fee aside, it's a good signing.

Talent doesn't always reflect the quality of the league. If he tears the MLS apart, that probably suggests he's got to go somewhere better.

4 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

I watched quite a lot of MLS football last season and honestly the defending is worse than the majority of League Two players. The marking just isn't there.

If you watch a montage of Bradley Wright-Phillips goals last season I reckon he wouldn't score about 2/3rds of them at League One level.

There are clearly good indiviuals, but there's a reason why Robbie Keane loved playing over there in his later years.

That doesn't change that it is a feeder league though. Of the "4 big leagues" (MLS, Mexico, Argentina, Brazil) the MLS is definitely the weakest for the reason you mention. However, they are really beginning to export players. Alphonso Davies just went to Bayern for a big fee, and now Almiron. 

Keep in mind I use the "4 big leagues" in quotes because the Colombian league is possibly the third best in the Americas behind Brazil and Argentina.

3 hours ago, Blue said:

It might be similar in quality, but there is no point of comparison when the past few years the MLS has gotten out of that "retirement league" quota to try and export young players as another way of gaining profile.

I don't know which players the Championship has exported, but I'm not counting loans and the only one that occurs to me is Dele Alli which I think was league 1 - look how successful that was. Players like Jordan Rhodes don't count because he wasn't exactly "young" when he started to take off.

Especially in Almiron's case, he has to start somewhere. A Paraguayan isn't going to start in England ffs.

The only part of your post I agree with is that he's not guaranteed to be a good signing - it's why European teams only sign young footballers from other continents because they are unproven with time to change that. Scocco was a great player but he went to Europe way too late and was a flop as a result. Almiron is young though so putting the fee aside, it's a good signing.

Talent doesn't always reflect the quality of the league. If he tears the MLS apart, that probably suggests he's got to go somewhere better.

I would hazard a guess that at least 1/4 - 1/2 the Premier League has played in the Championship at some point either through loans, a transfer up or promotion. This is a weird argument.

The initial point was the quality was similar between MLS and Champ/League 1. The MLS signing young South Americans doesn’t change that.

Just now, Danny said:

I would hazard a guess that at least 1/4 - 1/2 the Premier League has played in the Championship at some point either through loans, a transfer up or promotion. This is a weird argument.

The initial point was the quality was similar between MLS and Champ/League 1. The MLS signing young South Americans doesn’t change that.

Loans hardly count though - the teams aren't "exporting" those players.

And I got your argument. I just think it's shit because the MLS and the Championship is totally different in profile. The MLS is a feeder league. The championship isn't. I would say most big clubs would rather look at the MLS over the championship regardless of standard. The difference is players over 27 don't get signed. They just don't and for a good reason. 

55 minutes ago, Blue said:

Loans hardly count though - the teams aren't "exporting" those players.

And I got your argument. I just think it's shit because the MLS and the Championship is totally different in profile. The MLS is a feeder league. The championship isn't. I would say most big clubs would rather look at the MLS over the championship regardless of standard. The difference is players over 27 don't get signed. They just don't and for a good reason. 

Most big clubs would look at the MLS over the Championship? For what reason? Most big clubs don't shop in either leagues.

Just now, Danny said:

Most big clubs would look at the MLS over the Championship? For what reason? Most big clubs don't shop in either leagues.

Because the MLS is a feeder league with higher profile. The Championship isn't.

Big clubs actually do shop in the MLS. Maybe not before but now they do. Just look at Alphonso Davies and Almiron as 2 examples (even if Newcastle aren't exactly strong).

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

Because the MLS is a feeder league with higher profile. The Championship isn't.

Big clubs actually do shop in the MLS. Maybe not before but now they do. Just look at Alphonso Davies and Almiron as 2 examples (even if Newcastle aren't exactly strong).

Who else?

Just now, Danny said:

Who else?

Matt Miazga. Tyler Adams. Jack Harrison. 

I'm listing the most recent ones. Before there have been more but with the amount of quality young players in the league, the number is rapidly increasing.

I can guarantee you the MLS is a more attractive league for top clubs than the bloody championship. Even if it's a lower standard, there are more young South Americans performing at a more attractive level, the profile is higher and it's a top flight league who also get to perform at a continental level.

Alphonso Davies at 18 just left for Bayern for about 26M ffs. I can guarantee the likes of Savarino and Barco are next in line.

50 minutes ago, Blue said:

Matt Miazga. Tyler Adams. Jack Harrison. 

I'm listing the most recent ones. Before there have been more but with the amount of quality young players in the league, the number is rapidly increasing.

I can guarantee you the MLS is a more attractive league for top clubs than the bloody championship. Even if it's a lower standard, there are more young South Americans performing at a more attractive level, the profile is higher and it's a top flight league who also get to perform at a continental level.

Alphonso Davies at 18 just left for Bayern for about 26M ffs. I can guarantee the likes of Savarino and Barco are next in line.

A more attractive level? How are they performing at a more attractive level if the level is considerably lower? Two of those players you mentioned are on loan in the Championship xD

You jumping from point to point just to carry on an argument that makes no sense.

A more attractive level? How are they performing at a more attractive level if the level is considerably lower? Two of those players you mentioned are on loan in the Championship xD

You jumping from point to point just to carry on an argument that makes no sense.

Maybe if you actually read what I say, you would understand it more.

The MLS is better than most South American leagues, so once the fringe players make a jump to a feeder league, they are playing at a higher level. The only exception is Barco who took a step down but the profile is getting much higher.

I actually remember talking with @Eco about this. I think I was right at the time but things have begun to change. The Argentine league I'm not sure is so attractive compared to the MLS now, given in Argentina the only quality young players are locals and Uruguayans. Even if it's a higher standard.

Again, the MLS is more attractive than the Championship, any day. Whether it is better is up for debate, but I am positive when I say big teams would rather look in the States than in the second tier of England ffs.

1 minute ago, Blue said:

Maybe if you actually read what I say, you would understand it more.

The MLS is better than most South American leagues, so once the fringe players make a jump to a feeder league, they are playing at a higher level. The only exception is Barco who took a step down but the profile is getting much higher.

I actually remember talking with @Eco about this. I think I was right at the time but things have begun to change. The Argentine league I'm not sure is so attractive compared to the MLS now, given in Argentina the only quality young players are locals and Uruguayans. Even if it's a higher standard.

Again, the MLS is more attractive than the Championship, any day. Whether it is better is up for debate, but I am positive when I say big teams would rather look in the States than in the second tier of England ffs.

Big teams like Arsenal, Man Utd, Tottenham, Liverpool, Bayern Munich, Everton...the rest of the Premier League, to look into the Championship and below?

Please explain how you can play at a more attractive level when the level is less? Because you're yet to do so.

Just now, Danny said:

Big teams like Arsenal, Man Utd, Tottenham, Liverpool, Bayern Munich, Everton...the rest of the Premier League, to look into the Championship and below?

Please explain how you can play at a more attractive level when the level is less? Because you're yet to do so.

Fuck me, you need to learn how to read. Look at when I said a more attractive level, I said SOUTH AMERICANS. Do you think players like Suarez or Sanchez started somewhere like Sheffield Wednesday? You know there is a world outside of England right? I understand you are a missionary trying to convert the Bantu's into Cockneys but things don't work like that. Fuck me.

You can't use English teams into the argument because they are based in the same country. Every single league has it's big teams looking into their second tier for local talent. It's called grass roots. Bayern Munich don't look into the championship, and even if they did, they make that argument irrelevant after they payed 26M for an 18 year old Canadian playing in the MLS.

26 minutes ago, Blue said:

Fuck me, you need to learn how to read. Look at when I said a more attractive level, I said SOUTH AMERICANS. Do you think players like Suarez or Sanchez started somewhere like Sheffield Wednesday? You know there is a world outside of England right? I understand you are a missionary trying to convert the Bantu's into Cockneys but things don't work like that. Fuck me.

You can't use English teams into the argument because they are based in the same country. Every single league has it's big teams looking into their second tier for local talent. It's called grass roots. Bayern Munich don't look into the championship, and even if they did, they make that argument irrelevant after they payed 26M for an 18 year old Canadian playing in the MLS.

Brian, read your own posts. You said that young South American's are performing at a more attractive level. Do you know what the word level means when used in a footballing context? It means quality. How can they be performing at a more attractive level if the level they're performing at is of a lesser quality that the comparison? I understand South American's are going to go to the USA first if the opportunity arises, the visa requirements will be entirely different and more favourable to go to the States to then build up the requirements, i.e. international caps needed to go to Europe.

So I can't use two of the biggest clubs in the world historically, and four of the biggest clubs in the world currently as examples because they play in the tier above? Your initial point was that the MLS is a feeder league, well so is the Championship to a lot of players. They all want to play in the biggest division in the world, and either promotion or a transfer will get them there. You've given me one big money example to Bayern and then named two players who are currently on loan in the Championship.

Josh King played for Blackburn Rovers in the Championship, found a move to the Prem via Bournemouth. David Brooks left Sheffield United, Chris Mepham has just left Brentford, Lewis Cook left Leeds, Dan Gosling was on loan at Blackpool, Jordon Ibe spent time on loan at Birmingham and Derby. And that's just Bournemouth. That list alone is far more convincing than the list you gave me.

Also your obsession with England is starting to get a bit weird, get of Wikipedia mate because you've no idea who or what a cockney is.

Brian, read your own posts. You said that young South American's are performing at a more attractive level. Do you know what the word level means when used in a footballing context? It means quality. How can they be performing at a more attractive level if the level they're performing at is of a lesser quality that the comparison? I understand South American's are going to go to the USA first if the opportunity arises, the visa requirements will be entirely different and more favourable to go to the States to then build up the requirements, i.e. international caps needed to go to Europe.

Yes, because the MLS is better than every league in South America except for Argentina, Brazil and Colombia.

So I can't use two of the biggest clubs in the world historically, and four of the biggest clubs in the world currently as examples because they play in the tier above? Your initial point was that the MLS is a feeder league, well so is the Championship to a lot of players. They all want to play in the biggest division in the world, and either promotion or a transfer will get them there. You've given me one big money example to Bayern and then named two players who are currently on loan in the Championship.

Here you are once again missing the point of the argument. Just because clubs send their players out on loan then, that doesn't make it a feeder league. For me, that is defined by exports and profile. The Colombian league is better than the MLS but it doesn't have the necessary profile to be called that, as a result not many Europeans look there, where as they will look in the USA.

5 minutes ago, Danny said:

Josh King played for Blackburn Rovers in the Championship, found a move to the Prem via Bournemouth. David Brooks left Sheffield United, Chris Mepham has just left Brentford, Lewis Cook left Leeds, Dan Gosling was on loan at Blackpool, Jordon Ibe spent time on loan at Birmingham and Derby. And that's just Bournemouth. That list alone is far more convincing than the list you gave me.

And how many of those are non-British?

Great examples, really proved my point more. Especially considering most are nobodies and are there on loan.

• The title was changed to Miguel Almiron Moves to Newcastle for £20m

Archived