talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Miguel Almiron Moves to Newcastle for £20m

23 minutes ago, Blue said:

Well that wasn't the argument.

I said it has a higher profile and more clubs would rather look there. There is an array of different nationalities (I'd hazard a guess and say more than the EFL) which makes people from all over the world want to watch it, not just the USA. This helps it's profile. The USA also has I think 4 times the population of England?

Clubs would rather look there than the second tier of England. If we're just looking at the big picture, the reasons I mentioned above help it rise in profile and it's not just about the people that watch it.

But they don't. The viewing figures are very low.

Only five of England's World Cup squad had never played in Football League. John Stones, Harry Maguire and Keiran Trippier all started out playing in the lower leagues, and that's just off the top of my head.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ScoRoss said:

But they don't. The viewing figures are very low.

Only five of England's World Cup squad had never played in Football League. John Stones, Harry Maguire and Keiran Trippier all started out playing in the lower leagues, and that's just off the top of my head.

It still raises the profile. Having too many local players can lower the interest internationally.

The EFL could be more popular within fans if you just look at viewing figures, but that doesn't make it a bigger hotspot for big teams than the MLS. I've already said this, it is a much more commercial league based in the worlds super power country and is used as a stepping stone. The MLS have figured this out, as are big clubs very quickly.

I can't remember the last time Bayern spent more than 25M for a player in the championship.

Having your Ibrahimovic's and Rooney's also helps raise the profile, even if that's not exactly what makes the league "attractive" for bigger teams.

7 minutes ago, Blue said:

It still raises the profile. Having too many local players can lower the interest internationally.

The EFL could be more popular within fans if you just look at viewing figures, but that doesn't make it a bigger hotspot for big teams than the MLS. I've already said this, it is a much more commercial league based in the worlds super power country and is used as a stepping stone. The MLS have figured this out, as are big clubs very quickly.

I can't remember the last time Bayern spent more than 25M for a player in the championship.

Having your Ibrahimovic's and Rooney's also helps raise the profile, even if that's not exactly what makes the league "attractive" for bigger teams.

Liverpool, Tottenham, Everton and Leicester all have.

Just now, ScoRoss said:

Liverpool, Tottenham, Everton and Leicester all have.

Name a non-English club.

Those teams are certainly big clubs (except Leicester) but like I said, all big teams in each country look in the second tier of their country. They do it in Peru, Chile, Germany, Italy, you name it. So I find it hard to count them because even if the Championship was utter shite, they will still look there.

Grass roots.

I can guarantee you Bayern, Juventus, Barcelona, Real Madrid, PSG, Napoli, Roma, the Milans, Atletico Madrid and the likes don't give 2 fucks about the championship.

Maybe they don't care about the MLS either but Bayern paying that fee for a player there and the amount of young players in the MLS suggests that the rest will catch on very quickly. Especially with the amount of international footballers, as opposed to only the British in the second tier of England.

14 minutes ago, Blue said:

I've already adressed this. The MLS is a new league and getting out of that retirement league quota. Alphonso Davies and Almiron is only the start, as the MLS are signing players from around the world, mostly under 22 to make a profit. 

You can't compare it to the championship who have been around since forever and have always acted as the grass roots equivelant to the PL, even if it's technically not a "grass roots" league.

Besides, the examples I've been given are awful and none are of high profile. I don't remember when any of the big clubs outside of England have given 2 fucks about the championship.

Why don't top European clubs loan out their players to the MLS? 

1 minute ago, Blue said:

I can guarantee you Bayern, Juventus, Barcelona, Real Madrid, PSG, Napoli, Roma, the Milans, Atletico Madrid and the likes don't give 2 fucks about the championship.

Maybe they don't care about the MLS either but Bayern paying that fee for a player there and the amount of young players in the MLS suggests that the rest will catch on very quickly. Especially with the amount of international footballers, as opposed to only the British in the second tier of England.

How can you possibly state such a thing? English players have a knack for not wanting to move abroad, even the all time greats didn't want to?

You know as well as I do you cannot prove any of that I've bolded. 

5 minutes ago, Blue said:

Name a non-English club.

Those teams are certainly big clubs (except Leicester) but like I said, all big teams in each country look in the second tier of their country. They do it in Peru, Chile, Germany, Italy, you name it. So I find it hard to count them because even if the Championship was utter shite, they will still look there.

Grass roots.

Leicester won the EPL two and a half years ago. But not a big club seemingly.

English clubs are the richest in the world. A lot of Serie A, La Liga and Bundesliga clubs can't compete with the wages paid out in the league.

I'm sure them clubs are happy they didn't bother signing John Stones for £3 million. What a bullet dodged.

Just now, Cicero said:

Why don't top European clubs loan out their players to the MLS? 

Easy.

1. The Championship is a higher standard and leading to a higher standard league.

2. It's not convenient for a club to send their players to another continent.

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

Easy.

1. The Championship is a higher standard and leading to a higher standard league.

2. It's not convenient for a club to send their players to another continent.

AND...

1. The MSL is a poor standard of quality given it is not the #1 sport in the country. 

2. The majority of players in the MLS are college recruits. Being from 18-22 these players play only 5 months of college standard football  every year, whereas 18-22 year olds in The championship are playing professional footy year round. 

Just now, Cicero said:

How can you possibly state such a thing? English players have a knack for not wanting to move abroad, even the all time greats didn't want to?

You know as well as I do you cannot prove any of that I've bolded. 

Well obviously I can't - but one thing I can prove is that the MLS has more players from around the world than just Americans. If the Championship only has young british footballers, then it's not a very good feeder league that won't interest many people outside of England.

The MLS has all sorts of South Americans, Africans and of course Americans.

2 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Leicester won the EPL two and a half years ago. But not a big club seemingly.

English clubs are the richest in the world. A lot of Serie A, La Liga and Bundesliga clubs can't compete with the wages paid out in the league.

I'm sure them clubs are happy they didn't bother signing John Stones for £3 million. What a bullet dodged.

Leicester are a big club cos they won 1 title? Fuck me.

Just now, Cicero said:

AND...

1. The MSL is a poor standard of quality given it is not the #1 sport in the country. 

2. The majority of players in the MLS are college recruits. Being from 18-22 these players play only 5 months of college standard football  every year, whereas 18-22 year olds in The championship are playing professional footy year round. 

But that has nothing to do with player exports.

13 minutes ago, Blue said:

But that has nothing to do with player exports.

Yes it does. Why would professional elite clubs look at the MLS for transfers vs The Championship after the context I provided? 

Majority of players in the MLS played 5 months of college competitive football from the years 18-22. The Championship has 18-22 year olds who are already professional playing year round. 

Just now, Cicero said:

Yes it does. Why would professional elite clubs look at the MLS for transfers vs The Championship after the context I provided? 

Majority of players in the MLS played 5 months of college competitive football from the years 18-22. The Championship has 18-22 year olds who are already professional playing year round. 

Because there are more young international footballers in the MLS than just young Americans.

Jefferson Savarino, Diego Fagundez, Diego Rossi, Ezequiel Barco and now Marcos Lopez as a few examples. None of those played college football and other than Fagundez, are all under 22 years old.

1 minute ago, Blue said:

Because there are more young international footballers in the MLS than just young Americans.

Jefferson Savarino, Diego Fagundez, Diego Rossi, Ezequiel Barco and now Marcos Lopez as a few examples. None of those played college football and other than Fagundez, are all under 22 years old.

Yes but those international footballers are playing at the MLS standard (where their competition are former college players), thus being hard to analyse their quality given they are big fish in a small pond. 

Look at Madisson, Brooks, and even Chilwell. Purchased from the Championship and are setting the premier league alight their first season(s). Already all three are being monitored by big clubs. 

Just now, Cicero said:

Yes but those international footballers are playing at the MLS standard (where their competition are former college players), thus being hard to analyse their quality given they are big fish in a small pond. 

Look at Madisson, Brooks, and even Chilwell. Purchased from the Championship and are setting the premier league alight their first season(s). Already all three are being monitored by big clubs. 

Then why did they take the step down to the MLS if they were playing continental football, or at a higher level in general?

I'll tell you - because of the money and because they want to build their brand. If they are offered a DP spot, even better as it means you are expected to be the star of your team.

Honestly give it a few years and you'll see that the likes of Davies, Almiron and a few others will be doing well. Honestly you could say the same with any feeder league. It is risky to buy players from there because they are genuinely a coin toss, but that still doesn't change that profile dominates in football these days. They may not be better but I can guarantee big teams would prefer to buy players from the MLS.

Again, Bayern have never signed a player from the championship for more than 25M.

4 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Good things all these big clubs ignore the Championship. Wouldn't want to have signed Gareth Bale when he started out in that league...

You're clutching at straws now xD

He didn't go to Real Madrid for 100M straight from the Championship you know :dam:

He's also British, he HAS to start somewhere.

Just now, Blue said:

Then why did they take the step down to the MLS if they were playing continental football, or at a higher level in general?

I'll tell you - because of the money and because they want to build their brand. If they are offered a DP spot, even better as it means you are expected to be the star of your team.

Honestly give it a few years and you'll see that the likes of Davies, Almiron and a few others will be doing well. Honestly you could say the same with any feeder league. It is risky to buy players from there because they are genuinely a coin toss, but that still doesn't change that profile dominates in football these days. They may not be better but I can guarantee big teams would prefer to buy players from the MLS.

Again, Bayern have never signed a player from the championship for more than 25M.

So you have gone from "More clubs will look at the MLS"  to "Give it a few years". 

That is the issue when you make a claim that is only supported by anecdotal evidence. I could very well say that given the poor standard of the MLS, Almiron and Davies will be absolute flops in Europe, and that will still hold as much strength as your argument. 

Just now, Blue said:

You're clutching at straws now xD

He didn't go to Real Madrid for 100M straight from the Championship you know :dam:

He's also British, he HAS to start somewhere.

Clutching at straws naming the man who scored in the Champions League final last year...

Just seems that whoever was named wouldn't match the ever changing criteria. 

Just now, Cicero said:

So you have gone from "More clubs will look at the MLS"  to "Give it a few years". 

That is the issue when you make a claim that is only supported by anecdotal evidence. I could very well say that given the poor standard of the MLS, Almiron and Davies will be absolute flops in Europe, and that will still hold as much strength as your argument. 

I'm not backtracking. I said give it a few years because those are the first few examples of what the MLS is thriving towards, but the profile is still higher. Bayern would not have paid 25M for Davies if that's the case. Do you think they'd pay 25M for a player in the Colombian league, even though it is better?

Maybe they will be flops in Europe - but I think your argument is a bit weak because they already did well in their respective leagues prior to joining the MLS. Almiron was key in Lanus' title win in Argentina so it's not just the MLS he's been doing well in. If the Argentine league is also not good enough, then we wouldn't have any good South American players in Europe.

Savarino, Rossi and Lopez absolutely tore it apart in their leagues, so they made the jump up.

4 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Clutching at straws naming the man who scored in the Champions League final last year...

Just seems that whoever was named wouldn't match the ever changing criteria. 

But did he go to Real Madrid straight from the Championship? Is he non-British?

I can't wait for you to avoid this question like you always do mr Football Italia.

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

But did he go to Real Madrid straight from the Championship? Is he non-British?

I can't wait for you to avoid this question like you always do mr Football Italia.

He was pretty good at Tottenham...

What has nationality got to do with how good a player is? If a club ignores a player because of their nationality, they are doing a very poor job.

Mr Football Italia?

Just now, ScoRoss said:

He was pretty good at Tottenham...

What has nationality got to do with how good a player is? If a club ignores a player because of their nationality, they are doing a very poor job.

Mr Football Italia?

You are missing the point - again

We are talking about player exports - Tottenham to my knowledge wasn't in the Championship when they sold him for 100M. As for nationality, he's British and he started in his own country, shock horror...

And yes, you run that account. You aren't fooling me.

4 minutes ago, Blue said:

You are missing the point - again

We are talking about player exports - Tottenham to my knowledge wasn't in the Championship when they sold him for 100M. As for nationality, he's British and he started in his own country, shock horror...

And yes, you run that account. You aren't fooling me.

So they can't be within their own country of birth, and then have to be sold to another country? What other criteria do you want to add? Must be left-handed?

The Championship has produced better players than the MLS, why would clubs not want to look at better players? Because of their nationality? Because they are playing in their home country? Seems a dumb way to scout.

I'm as much to do with Football Italia, as you are with Bayern Munich's transfers. (Although I would be far better at my fictional role than you would at yours)

• The title was changed to Miguel Almiron Moves to Newcastle for £20m

Archived