The better place to talk football.

Other Matches - 2nd & 6th February, 2019

football forum

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Why?

Our injuries have hit us hard, and our last few performances have been ropey. Mix that in with City's usual consistency and it becomes hard. Even if Chelsea were to beat them on Sunday I can't say I'm confident that we will have taken the advantage against Bournemouth on Saturday.

On the other hand,I suppose the players may feel slightly less pressure now we are second. Hopefully the nervousness can start to evaporate. 

6 minutes ago, Rick said:

Our injuries have hit us hard, and our last few performances have been ropey. Mix that in with City's usual consistency and it becomes hard. Even if Chelsea were to beat them on Sunday I can't say I'm confident that we will have taken the advantage against Bournemouth on Saturday.

On the other hand,I suppose the players may feel slightly less pressure now we are second. Hopefully the nervousness can start to evaporate. 

They've lost to Palace, Leicester and Newcastle in the last month or so. Plenty of twists and turns to come yet.

19 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

If we had anything up front we would have won that, Lukaku in his prime under Martinez would have caused them problems - DCL and Tosun aren't enough in these big games although the latter only got ten minutes. 

Great effort though, applauded off by the crowd after being booed off for what seems like forever, City are quality you have to say, just a half chance and they're in. 

Whilst it's frustrating that it's another zero points, the amount of rattlement generated from this game and us losing is a slim silver lining. Whilst I couldn't sit in the stadium wanting my team to lose, teams of those without proper rivals don't understand the hatred. Would happily wave away three points in a season where we aren't going to achieve anything for Liverpool fans back in the woodwork and another season without a title.

“Hatred”. Isn’t the Merseyside Derby viewed as one of the wankiest derbies in the country by people from outside the area? 

Going to be honest here.

Disagree with this looking like a creditable result for Everton. I know they have it in them to capitulate but that was hardly vintage Man City.

I think Everton made their intentions clear by resting Richarlison and Sigurdsson. It was almost as if they wrote the game off before hand by dropping those two to the bench.

They aren't the first team to do that against City and won't be the last. Appreciate they have a more winnable game the weekend but they should be capable of naming their strongest team twice in a week.

And this is a home game, under the lights at Goodison. You need to use these advantages when you have them.

What kind of world do we live in if you can't at least give it a go. Especially when City lost their last away game.

Shame really, although I'm glad it keeps the title race interesting.

Just now, Cannabis said:

Sigurdsson and Richarlison have struggled for ages mate, they were genuinely dropped. 

Arguably your two best players though fella, surely they have to start? Would have been nice to see you give it a go with them in but respect I haven't seen as many Everton games as yourself recently.

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Arguably your two best players though fella, surely they have to start? Would have been nice to see you give it a go with them in but respect I haven't seen as many Everton games as yourself recently.

Sigurdsson being dropped was more for the change to a midfield three which a lot of fans have wanted to see for a while.

Bernard and especially Walcott starting ahead of Richarlison (and Lookman) is a bit weird admittedly.

18 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

News to me.

Wouldn’t describe it as a game with much hatred in it, from the outside looking in. If anything, I’d say the dislike/hatred is largely coming from one side of the city and the other just don’t seem that bothered, probably because Liverpool have such a good record and it’s been a pretty easy three points for them over the years that it just doesn’t come across as being that much of a big deal for them.

Personally, I’d say there’s more hatred in a Liverpool - United game than a Liverpool - Everton game. 

8 hours ago, LFCMike said:

It's great that those Evertonian's who were happy to lose think this has had a major effect on the title race when we're only in February. Anything to feel relevant I suppose!

Of course it has an effect on the title race. Anything at this point does. Let’s be honest, if City had lost tonight and you remained three points in front you’d consider it an advantage in your attempt for top spot. You’d rather be in front than behind at any point in the season. 

As for those holier than thou who could think of nothing worse than not caring about your team’s result... congratulations on being the bestest more super fans in the world 👏 Enjoy your view up there from your horses. Christ. 

For what it’s worth, always thought Everton are a decent club with nice fans. Don’t think they set out to make it easy for us at all today and their fans were obviously in a weird predicament which I think reflected in the atmosphere at Goodison. Hope they go on to have a good finish to their season. 

2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Fuck off. Odious club. You know you're cunts when I actually have to consider (albeit fleetingly) whether I could stomach seeing Liverpool win the league instead.

Jesus is still shite by the way. Almost missed that chance too.

At least we didn't reach pure 11/10 AIDs tonight which is an achievement in the last two and a bit months as far as we're concerned. City always in 2nd-3rd gear though.

I think some people here a mental.

If your club is having another 9th-14th type season and you losing to the 2nd place team will unseat your most bitter rivals at the top, of course you're not going to mid as much!

This is a field I am an expert in as the club I follow are mediocre wank and lose to bigger teams all the time.

1. Lets face it, you were going to fucking lose to Bayern Munich/Dortmund/City/Madrid/Barca anyway.

2. The loss has no bearing on your season

3. The loss has a potentially huge bearing on your rivals season.

simples

1 minute ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I think some people here a mental.

If your club is having another 9th-14th type season and you losing to the 2nd place team will unseat your most bitter rivals at the top, of course you're not going to mid as much!

This is a field I am an expert in as the club I follow are mediocre wank and lose to bigger teams all the time.

1. Lets face it, you were going to fucking lose to Bayern Munich/Dortmund/City/Madrid/Barca anyway.

2. The loss has no bearing on your season

3. The loss has a potentially huge bearing on your rivals season.

simples

I hope whatever club you follow gets relegated :)

7 hours ago, Amehh said:

Of course it has an effect on the title race. Anything at this point does. Let’s be honest, if City had lost tonight and you remained three points in front you’d consider it an advantage in your attempt for top spot. You’d rather be in front than behind at any point in the season. 

As for those holier than thou who could think of nothing worse than not caring about your team’s result... congratulations on being the bestest more super fans in the world 👏 Enjoy your view up there from your horses. Christ. 

For what it’s worth, always thought Everton are a decent club with nice fans. Don’t think they set out to make it easy for us at all today and their fans were obviously in a weird predicament which I think reflected in the atmosphere at Goodison. Hope they go on to have a good finish to their season. 

I didn't say it's not had an effect though did I? Major though? Nah we're in February. Man City and Liverpool are only separated by goal difference with Liverpool having a game in hand. If this game had been rearranged for later in the season, which I thought it might have done, then maybe the blueshite could have celebrated about how they've helped Man City win the league.

I don't think many Evertonians were genuinely pleased to lose, there is just a resigned apathy in the air at Goodison at the moment. It's a sad state of affairs there, I don't see things getting much better either. What should be a really promising time is turning into hell and if they're not careful they'll do a Villa.

• Subscriber

We had this situation before when I was a child, admittedly it was the last day of the season and not early Feb but we were more than happy to do our bit and lose to united even after going a goal up 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived