• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Other Matches - 2nd & 6th February, 2019

football forum

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Well this has been incredibly poor but what do you expect when what we've got left on the pitch is 5 kids, 2 loanees and a striker who hasn't scored in a game he started all season. Pretty much all you need to know about the state of our squad.

The rabid calls for Silvas head are predictable but still wide of the mark. Nothing could make Everton look more like groundhog day than changing manager again after bringing in Silva at such a cost only to sack him within a season with no clear alternative available.

This goes back several seasons. Martinez started it by unravelling everything Moyes had done to make us almost relevant again. Got away with it in the first season but he ripped the character out of the squad over the course of a few years. Hibbert replaced by Oviedo, Distin by Funes Mori, Heitinga by Alcaraz, Saha by Arouna Kone, Pienaar by McGeady, Osman by ...Lennon? Bringing Samuel Etoo in to poison the dressing room and allegedly tell his team mates they should leave Everton to earn more money elsewhere just capped it all off.

The only remnants of Moyes backbone left in this squad are Jagielka and Baines who will surely be gone this summer or next, and don't have the legs or quality to play regularly anyway these days. Silva's job is to rebuild the character and I think the addition of Richarlison who is a bit of a shithouse and can actually play is a step in the right direction. Digne has also been good, Bernard hit and miss and Mina unproven but I can't be hugely critical of the players Silva and Brands have brought in so far, so for me you need to give a few more transfer windows to give the squad the overhaul it desperately needs.

If Martinez started the job, then it was Koeman and Walsh who truly crippled us. Like I say the squad needs an overhaul but it's impossible given that even after taking out the trash this summer (selling Klaassen, Rooney, Funes Mori, Robles and loaning out Williams, Martina, Bolasie, Sandro, Mirallas etc.) we're still paying out the best part of a million pounds a week to unwanted players and former players and staff. It would be fucking lovely if you could just sell all of those shit players as well as Schneiderlin, McCarthy and all of the other dead wood that's still hanging around the club in one window and replace them with hungry players that actually fit the manager's philosophy but nobody is paying any of them the £100k a week they're all on so we have to wait it out and get it done over time, with or without Silva. Changing the manager yet again only rots the club even worse.

As to today, we have to be the easiest team to score against in the league. The only reason we don't concede as many goals as the real cannon fodder like Huddersfield is because we're much better at having and keeping possession in general play. We're desperate for a leader in central defence because in Keane and Zouma we have two very good followers who are decent individual defenders but don't work that well as a pair. Kenny needs to get a run instead of Coleman, Walcott is absolutely pointless and isn't worth persisting with anymore at the expense of getting Lookman or Bernard in the side.

Wolves are a really good outfit. They have similar quality to us to be honest but for character and conviction they're in a different league to us. Depressing but those are the facts.

For us though, the manager isn't the problem and if you've seen us regularly over the past 5 years you'll know that the real issue is the squad who have played this way regardless of the man in the dugout, not because of him. By all means question Marco Silva but sacking him would be absolutely pointless.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

A frustrating paws in the game, but yeah, loved it.

Well at least you know it wasn't just your players in the stadium having catnaps too.

• Administrator
Just now, Cannabis said:

True. Wolves were furrmidable though to be honest. 

you'd think they'd be happy playing against 11 pussies but an extra one didn't harm. Wasn't even like they won it by a whisker in the end, either.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Hissterical puns there Stanley but you're bang on, wasn't even close. An apawling display.

Purrhaps Everton need to make some changes after such clawful performances.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Cannabis said:

Hissterical puns there Stanley but you're bang on, wasn't even close. An apawling display.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Purrhaps Everton need to make some changes after such clawful performances.

Looks well fed. :D

That Gomes's goal reminded me of his Benfica days. He's got a good medium-range shot in him and is a goal threat if playing close to the box. Didn't see that from him for a long time. He's gone backwards in the field to a defensive role since joining Barcelona so it's no surprise.

• The topic was unpinned
  • Subscriber
15 hours ago, UNORTHODOX said:

Did i hear it right on MOTD, Everton haven't won back to back league games all season? :eek:

No you didn't as we had a run of 5 wins in 7 at some point.

Also love the totally predictable shouts from other fans who just look at results and assume it's always a managers fault. He's not faultless and if we were playing like this after 4 years of good performances then fair enough but we've been fucking shite for 4 years with or without Silva.

The comments about the management of the club are much closer to the mark. It's been amateur hour for years and we'd probably have been relegated a decade ago if not for the work David Moyes did at the club. The relative success enjoyed during that era covered up the fraudulent running of the club from upstairs which even 4 years after Moshiri started to take over still lingers in the form of Kenwright. Even the incompetent Elstone has only just left. Sacking Silva though would only mark a continuation of the amateurish running of Everton Football Club, unless the writing really is on the wall but we're still a long way from that point.

Moshiri has been no better with his appointments but hopefully overhauling the board and bringing Brands to the club as an actual footballing expert to run that side of things is one of the only remaining reasons for optimism.

At the end of the day the new regime is trying to unpick what is now decades of mediocrity at best, and another managerial change just extends that process.

And to be clear I'm not backing the manager because I think he's necessarily the man to sort all this out at pitchside, it's simply the clubs desperate need for some stability and to actually pursue one direction for a couple of years at least. Most sensible Everton fans said at the start of the season that this season could be painful, changing an Allardyce team into a progressive side while the squad is strangled by Koeman and Walsh's shithouses and mercenaries. Problem is our most vocal louts see us win 5 in 7 and think that means we're back and we can translate that into a top six challenge.

The current results and manner of some of these defeats don't reflect well on Silva but nobody can sort out this turgid mess in 6 months and if you sack him the next guy has to come in and start back from square one. I can't imagine anything worse than sitting here in 6-9 months time and seeing this exact scenario play out again and those upstairs failing to learn their lesson yet again.

It's easy to look at another club who have been in poor form for more than 6 weeks and conclude that they need to change their manager but there's an awful lot more going on than that at most clubs. From players to board members to former employees, there are at least a dozen individuals more culpable for Everton's current plight than Marco Silva.

• The title was changed to Other Matches - 2nd & 6th February, 2019
  • The topic was pinned

Everton were awful and there not learning they keep making the same mistakes the goals they give away from set plays are shocking. I've said all along I feel this manager is over rated I'm not convinced at him at all but he's the manager they want hence the 6 year contract so I would be amazed if they got rid of him. 

Normally Everton away is a tough game for top sides I just cannot see City not winning it but I would have thought they would beat Newcastle upsets do happen Everton have to be doubly determined to bounce back after that debacle. Well done Wolves though for a newly promoted side they are doing really well. 

Cardiff what a win for them some performance and to do it under the circumstances that they are going through is doubly amazing I hope they stay up not at Newcastle's expense though obviously. They have a real chance to after a great win over inconsistent hammer Chelsea 4-0 then they go to Cardiff and lose 2-0 must be a nightmare for Eddie Howe having said that they are having a good season.

On 03/02/2019 at 16:54, RandoEFC said:

No you didn't as we had a run of 5 wins in 7 at some point.

Also love the totally predictable shouts from other fans who just look at results and assume it's always a managers fault. He's not faultless and if we were playing like this after 4 years of good performances then fair enough but we've been fucking shite for 4 years with or without Silva.

The comments about the management of the club are much closer to the mark. It's been amateur hour for years and we'd probably have been relegated a decade ago if not for the work David Moyes did at the club. The relative success enjoyed during that era covered up the fraudulent running of the club from upstairs which even 4 years after Moshiri started to take over still lingers in the form of Kenwright. Even the incompetent Elstone has only just left. Sacking Silva though would only mark a continuation of the amateurish running of Everton Football Club, unless the writing really is on the wall but we're still a long way from that point.

Moshiri has been no better with his appointments but hopefully overhauling the board and bringing Brands to the club as an actual footballing expert to run that side of things is one of the only remaining reasons for optimism.

At the end of the day the new regime is trying to unpick what is now decades of mediocrity at best, and another managerial change just extends that process.

And to be clear I'm not backing the manager because I think he's necessarily the man to sort all this out at pitchside, it's simply the clubs desperate need for some stability and to actually pursue one direction for a couple of years at least. Most sensible Everton fans said at the start of the season that this season could be painful, changing an Allardyce team into a progressive side while the squad is strangled by Koeman and Walsh's shithouses and mercenaries. Problem is our most vocal louts see us win 5 in 7 and think that means we're back and we can translate that into a top six challenge.

The current results and manner of some of these defeats don't reflect well on Silva but nobody can sort out this turgid mess in 6 months and if you sack him the next guy has to come in and start back from square one. I can't imagine anything worse than sitting here in 6-9 months time and seeing this exact scenario play out again and those upstairs failing to learn their lesson yet again.

It's easy to look at another club who have been in poor form for more than 6 weeks and conclude that they need to change their manager but there's an awful lot more going on than that at most clubs. From players to board members to former employees, there are at least a dozen individuals more culpable for Everton's current plight than Marco Silva.

You could quote easily finish 7th this year. I don't think he is doing that bad really. Bit of a overreaction I think. Like you said takes time to build a club. Do you feel performances have improved this year?

• Subscriber
44 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

You could quote easily finish 7th this year. I don't think he is doing that bad really. Bit of a overreaction I think. Like you said takes time to build a club. Do you feel performances have improved this year?

Yeah we would be 7th if we'd won on Saturday but that also doesn't change how poor the manner of some of the losses have been.

We haven't really improved since last season but I'd also say that's not a valid comparison given the huge change in style that the players have to adapt to.

What's more concerning is that we aren't learning from our errors such as defending set pieces.

• Subscriber

Already a disgusting number of fans on Twitter giving it the "Anyone who wants us to beat City is an idiot". I already don't want to watch us play tomorrow but the prospect of the wet wipes in the stands wearing the 'its the taking part that counts' t-shirts is already making my eyes bleed in anticipation.

Complain about us being bang average and stinking of mediocrity and not winning a trophy for 24 years then coming out with shite like that is an absolute embarrassment and if that's the attitude that section of support wants the club to take we'll have a more relevant rivalry with Tranmere than Liverpool by the time I get old.

I'd like to think it's a small minority of the fans but however many it is they can join the board and most of the players and coaching staff on the Everton shitlist.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived