The better place to talk football.

Man City 3-1 Arsenal - Sunday 3rd February, 2019

football forum

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The title was changed to Man City 3-1 Arsenal - Sunday 3rd February, 2019
2 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Emery doesn't seem to have changed Arsenal's pitiful weakness away to the better teams much. 

He has improved our record against the top 6 overall. Kronke is the problem. He needs to fuck of 

14 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

So last year it was Wenger at fault but now it's magically changed to Kronke?

I've always blamed Kronke to a certain extent. I actually said I thought we would struggle to replace Wenger until a few years ago. 

38 minutes ago, Cicero said:

They did say it was much more than Wenger if I remember. He was just a part of the problem. 

Depends who you ask. Some members virtually completely blamed Wenger.  Arsenal's finances are something that I have started to look into myself recently. You have to be quite careful and go to a direct source because there are a lot of misconceptions. For example I don't think arsenal have completely payed of their stadium. It is in a mortgage and will take 20 years or so. In 2014 something else happened that meant they cleared alot of debts. Something to do with sponsorship. As far as I can tell that was the reason for the lack of spending before that.  Kronke doesn't invest in arsenal because he is here just to make a steady buck. Usmanov wanted to invest in the hope of making money. We probably would be more successful under him. The issue I have as an arsenal fan is where is the money the club make going. However at the same time you have to be careful when listening to hearsay

• The topic was unpinned

The way this squad has been built is the biggest issue, zero quality out wide and a very ageing front and backline. It's going to take a few seasons to reverse the damage of our last few transfer windows. 

Getting rid of Wenger was the right move and Gazidis leaving was another positive for this club but we have to be smart from now on. More signings like Torreira and Guendouzi are the type of player we need to be looking at.

We also need to be looking at selling one of Auba or Lacazette or get rid of Emery and bring in a manager capable of implementing a 4-4-2. Emery clearly doesn't like 2 up top formations and in all honesty having both is more of a nice to have then a need to have in our current situation. 

Just now, Chaaay AFC said:

The way this squad has been built is the biggest issue, zero quality out wide and a very ageing front and backline. It's going to take a few seasons to reverse the damage of our last few transfer windows. 

Getting rid of Wenger was the right move and Gazidis leaving was another positive for this club but we have to be smart from now on. More signings like Torreira and Guendouzi are the type of player we need to be looking at.

We also need to be looking at selling one of Auba or Lacazette or get rid of Emery and bring in a manager capable of implementing a 4-4-2. Emery clearly doesn't like 2 up top formations and in all honesty having both is more of a nice to have then a need to have in our current situation. 

You want 4-4-2?

2 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

You want 4-4-2?

Not particularly, I don't think we are defensively strong enough to play it. I just don't think we can afford to have one of those players sitting on the bench every week. Cash in and bring in some quality in other areas.

5 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Not particularly, I don't think we are defensively strong enough to play it. I just don't think we can afford to have one of those players sitting on the bench every week. Cash in and bring in some quality in other areas.

Don't know if it really matters. Having a good backup striker is a good thing for me.  Also he does play them together sometimes

7 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Don't know if it really matters. Having a good backup striker is a good thing for me.  Also he does play them together sometimes

Not viable to have 2 strikers who are on that much money and neither are particularly versatile positionally. I don't think either one would like to be a back-up either. We have other areas which require major surgery and having two very good strikers isn't smart.

Thought Arsenal looked decent after 1-1 but got undone by an excellent goal and then were maybe unlucky with the possible handball.  Also thought that the decision-making upfront was extremely bad which resulted in Arsenal finding themselves in decent situations but actually creating very few shooting chances - Aubameyang seemed to be the one receiving the ball deeper than Lacazette which seems odd as I'd say Lacazette's link-up is better. 

Kolasinac and Iwobi also looked very unnatural receiving the ball in their kinda wide-mid positions so deep in midfield. When Suarez came on for Iwobi he also looked extremely uprepared - surely Oezil would have thrived in that kinda inside-right position with Lacazette and Aubameyang running into space?

Overall a decent gameplan but with the wrong players for the roles required.

3 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Not viable to have 2 strikers who are on that much money and neither are particularly versatile positionally. I don't think either one would like to be a back-up either. We have other areas which require major surgery and having two very good strikers isn't smart.

No what you mean but when you look at the top clubs they all have decent cover in all areas. It would be better to have more versatile strikers. But abamayang has said he is very happy to play on the wing hasn't he? Not to sure about lacazette. If I was gonna get rid of one it would be lacazette

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Cicero said:

But we dont play midweek? That's where I'm confused 

6 minutes ago, Storts said:

Whoever you are playing clearly didn’t agree to rearrange it 

Brighton by the looks of it 

4 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Brighton have an FA Cup replay I think?

3 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Yeah against west Brom

Yep. And it's still to be re-arranged I believe. Probably seeing what happens with Chelsea in Europa League so may even be til a couple of months. 

2 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

No what you mean but when you look at the top clubs they all have decent cover in all areas. It would be better to have more versatile strikers. But abamayang has said he is very happy to play on the wing hasn't he? Not to sure about lacazette. If I was gonna get rid of one it would be lacazette

Not really especially a back up striker even teams like Madrid have struggled to keep back up strikers happy. I think we need a versatile back up who can play both out wide and cover up top. Like Salah, Son, Rashford etc. 

I agree as well as Lacazette is more valuable in terms of age and wages. Bare in mind we will need to be looking at renewing Lacazette by next summer.

Archived