talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Serie A Could Revert To 18 Teams

football forum

'Serie A could revert to 18 teams'

Serie A chief Gaetano Micciche has challenged Milan and Inter to rival Juventus for the Scudetto and confirmed the top flight could be reduced to 18 teams.

Serie A was enlarged to 20 teams in 2004 but has recently faced calls to be reduced back to 18 sides for the purpose of making the League more competitive, while a Milan club has not won Serie A since 2011 – when Max Allegri’s Rossoneri were crowned champions.

“There’s great interest in the Champions and Europa League, with many teams tightly packed together,” Micciche told Radio Anch’io Sport.

“That will allow for a high level of interest from fans and pundits. What interest is there in a competition dominated by only one team?

“Alternation is always a quality and an element of strength in any sector, not just in football. I’m convinced that the two Milan clubs will have to be leading lights.

“Their presence [in a title race] historically results in more teams winning the Scudetto, without taking anything away from what Napoli and Roma have done in making life difficult for Juventus in recent years.

“All the top European Leagues, barring the Bundesliga, have 20 teams. The last federal council approved an initiative which allowed the Lega a 'golden share’ to decide, if it wanted, to reduce the number of teams from 20 to 18.

“We’ll make a decision at the assembly once we weigh up advantages and disadvantages, but it’s great of the FIGC to let each League decide for themselves which is the most suitable format.”

Micchiche then commented on the farfetched demand made by Napoli owner Aurelio De Laurentiis to fine teams who finished bottom.

“Obviously I don’t agree with De Laurentiis’ sentiments,” he continued.

“That’s because the charm of our League also comes from the participation of smaller clubs.

It happens in every sport, even in the 100 metres at the Olympics, that the last ones are a big distance away and less competitive.”

Interesting concept - going back to 18 teams, however I'm still not sure how this would make the league more competitive at the top, unless you are just trying to avoid the two worst teams in the league. 

Regardless, this would certainly help Inter Milan as they are awful against the 'bottom feeders'. xD

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The overpaid princesses that the top footballers are these days find it too hard to play 38 games (realistically 30, as no player starts every game, not even the keepers), and want the number of games to be reduced.

:twothumbsup:

36 minutes ago, AMG said:

The overpaid princesses that the top footballers are these days find it too hard to play 38 games (realistically 30, as no player starts every game, not even the keepers), and want the number of games to be reduced.

:twothumbsup:

I think this is more of an idea brought on my the bigger clubs and FIGC. It works for the Bundesliga, and more games don't mean better games, so it has some traction, but that transition from 20 to 18 might be a nightmare. 

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Lol ADL wants to fine the shite sides. Why? 

I was thinking about this also. The only thing I could think of was that certain teams know when they come up, that they will go back down, and therefore don't spend the influx on money like other teams. 

The downside of course is that 1/3 teams in Italy seem to go bankrupt so giving them fines would destroy the league. 

Plus, ADL is a wild man with crazy thoughts. 

Just now, Eco said:

I was thinking about this also. The only thing I could think of was that certain teams know when they come up, that they will go back down, and therefore don't spend the influx on money like other teams. 

The downside of course is that 1/3 teams in Italy seem to go bankrupt so giving them fines would destroy the league. 

Plus, ADL is a wild man with crazy thoughts. 

Yeah your second point is exactly what I thought. A lot of Italian sides have incredibly precarious financial standings. And a lot of sides battling relegation are going to be those same clubs. It's like he wants to kill off a bunch of shite clubs lol.

But yeah, he's a nutcase.

Quality over quantity should be the aim for football. Whilst they are at it, they should change the Coppa Italia to single legged ties.

Every game should have teams playing their best teams, less games would increase the likelihood of that.

11 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Quality over quantity should be the aim for football. Whilst they are at it, they should change the Coppa Italia to single legged ties.

Every game should have teams playing their best teams, less games would increase the likelihood of that.

Yeah...Single Legged Ties would have more upsets I'd imagine. 

Less games means typically healthier and more rested players, which should mean better results in Europe. 

I'd be down for that. 

• The title was changed to Serie A Could Revert To 18 Teams

Archived