talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liam Neeson expresses regret for once contemplating racist revenge

football forum

• Subscriber

https://www.themarysue.com/racist-liam-neeson-interview/

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/02/04/entertainment/liam-neeson-revenge/index.html

Liam Neeson has revealed that years ago he contemplated carrying out a racist revenge attack after someone close to him was raped.

The actor shared the story Monday in The Independent during a press tour for his new movie, "Cold Pursuit." He expressed regret for his "horrible" past behavior.

Neeson began recounting his personal story after being asked about his film character turning to anger. He did not reveal who was attacked but said he found out when he returned home from a trip.

"She handled the situation of the rape in the most extraordinary way," Neeson told the newspaper, which published an audio excerpt. "But my immediate reaction was ... did she know who it was? No. What colour were they? She said it was a black person.

"I went up and down areas with a cosh [crowbar], hoping I'd be approached by somebody. I'm ashamed to say that, and I did it for maybe a week -- hoping some [Neeson gestured air quotes with his fingers, according to the Independent] 'black bastard' would come out of a pub and have a go at me about something, you know? So that I could kill him."

Neeson said it took him about a week to process what had happened.

"It was horrible, horrible, when I think back, that I did that," he said. "And I've never admitted that, and I'm saying it to a journalist. God forbid."

"Holy s***," said Tom Bateman, his co-star, who was reportedly sitting next to Neeson during the interview.

"It's awful," Neeson continued. "But I did learn a lesson from it, when I eventually thought, 'What the f*** are you doing', you know?"

CNN has not been able to independently authenticate the audio. A rep for Neeson has not responded to a request for comment.

Neeson, 66, added that growing up around violence in Northern Ireland taught him that revenge ultimately doesn't work.

"I come from a society -- I grew up in Northern Ireland in the Troubles -- and, you know, I knew a couple of guys that died on hunger strike, and I had acquaintances who were very caught up in the Troubles, and I understand that need for revenge, but it just leads to more revenge, to more killing and more killing, and Northern Ireland's proof of that. All this stuff that's happening in the world, the violence, is proof of that, you know. But that primal need, I understand."

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Seriously?... He tells a very personal story about someone he knows being raped in the past and him going around the neighbourhood looking to dish out revenge on just anyone resembling the perpetrator and now years later he is self-aware of how screwed up that was. That's an emotional reaction and mindless murderous rage in the heat of the moment when someone close to you gets hurt; him realising and openly admitting his mistake and how messed up it was is commendable yet all that people take from the story is that he is somehow racist?... 

1 minute ago, nudge said:

Seriously?... He tells a very personal story about someone he knows being raped in the past and him going around the neighbourhood looking to dish out revenge on just anyone resembling the perpetrator and now years later he is self-aware of how screwed up that was. That's an emotional reaction and mindless murderous rage in the heat of the moment when someone close to you gets hurt; him realising and openly admitting his mistake and how messed up it was is commendable yet all that people take from the story is that he is somehow racist?... 

Welcome to the world we live in.

Unfortunately the voice Clip doesn't have video, so we aren't going to see the air quotes or his somber demeanor when expressing his regret. 

This may finish him once the wolves get their teeth on it.

• Administrator

It is a pretty dumb thing to say in this day and age though where headlines spread like wildfire without perspective being taken in. Having said that, when my neighbours got burgled once I didn't want to go out and kill the first Romanian I saw or to go hunting for one to provoke me to use that as justification for killing them. 

(and no, I'm not comparing rape to burglary!) 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Stan said:

It is a pretty dumb thing to say in this day and age though where headlines spread like wildfire without perspective being taken in. Having said that, when my neighbours got burgled once I didn't want to go out and kill the first Romanian I saw or to go hunting for one to provoke me to use that as justification for killing them. 

(and no, I'm not comparing rape to burglary!) 

Yeah he should know better than to be honest with media scum. 

• Subscriber

Stupid coming out with that, especially as I look and read it to promote a film, we can all have that bit of hatred about something that happened in the past that we would have liked to do to someone or somebody but you have to discipline your inner thoughts and keep it quiet, I, like a lot of other ex-servicemen who have been on active duty lost comrades on tours of duty and hatred does run through your mind on what you would have liked to do to the perpetrators then and now but as I said, you discipline your thoughts and keep them to yourself.     

I do like the guy as an actor and still, say he would have been a better Jack Reacher than Tom Cruise in the Lee Childs films about the character Reacher.

People say it’s stupid to come out with it, and quite obviously wanting to beat up any “black bastard” for an act another man who is black committed is racist, but in a time where racism is still very prevelant, especially so in Brexit Britain and Trump’s America, he’s hitting people with cold hard honest truth about how humans behave and how you can be a better person after being a dickhead.

He’s now a 66 year old man, should be applauded for coming out with this in public as it may challenge a lot of bigoted views in a way in which rarely gets challenged. Because society never has a place for people who were racists to come out, admit they were wrong and improve as people. And that doesn’t just go for racists, obviously.

There has been a massive need for it with movements like MeToo uprooting years of systemic rape and sexual abuse, but we live in society that just wants to blame people and banish them from everything rather than allow people to be wrong and change. This is a good message from Liam Neeson, that came from a very bad place (not to mention through a very very bad situation).

7 hours ago, Stan said:

It is a pretty dumb thing to say in this day and age though where headlines spread like wildfire without perspective being taken in.

5 hours ago, nudge said:

Yeah he should know better than to be honest with media scum. 

4 hours ago, CaaC - John said:

Stupid coming out with that, especially as I look and read it to promote a film, we can all have that bit of hatred about something that happened in the past that we would have liked to do to someone or somebody but you have to discipline your inner thoughts and keep it quiet,

His comments were a bit surprising even if they did come off the back of a very real and emotional dark moment in his life.. Not sure what prompted it or for him to feel the need to come clean about it but he might have been better off keeping that to himself especially given the reaction it was likely to cause.. I don't knock him for his reaction at the time or the anger he clearly felt because some of us have been in similar situations where you could have or wanted to kill someone for an injustice but those sorts of things should stay buried..  If nothing good will come of mentioning it then it's better to let sleeping dogs lie..  

• Subscriber
15 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

His comments were a bit surprising even if they did come off the back of a very real and emotional dark moment in his life.. Not sure what prompted it or for him to feel the need to come clean about it but he might have been better off keeping that to himself especially given the reaction it was likely to cause.. I don't knock him for his reaction at the time or the anger he clearly felt because some of us have been in similar situations where you could have or wanted to kill someone for an injustice but those sorts of things should stay buried..  If nothing good will come of mentioning it then it's better to let sleeping dogs lie..  

Well his new film where his character sets out to take revenge against some drug dealers who killed his son probably has something to do with it :7_sweat_smile: 

12 hours ago, nudge said:

12 hours ago, Rab said:

I've edited the original post.

What was on the original post?, very much intrigued now..

8 minutes ago, nudge said:

Well his new film where his character sets out to take revenge against some drug dealers who killed his son probably has something to do with it :7_sweat_smile: 

I didn't know what the film was about... he just got asked about his character turning to anger, at that point I probably would have made up something plausible for the interview but instead he chose to springboard into a real life experience from his past...  

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Berserker said:

What was on the original post?, very much intrigued now..

You'll be disappointed haha. Just the title "Liam Neeson's racist comments?" or something similar and the link to The Mary Sue website.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought John Barnes was spot on over this, particularly on the role the 'media' play in stirring up racism and then playing the self-righteous twat when people daft enough to think the 'media' present facts and employ actual journalists rather than parrots start repeating the racism they pick up from these phoney 'journalists'.

He was also spot on about Churchill and I enjoyed seeing the posh cunt presenter try and justify his belief that Liam Neeson is a bigger racist then his hero Churchill

Archived