talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Peru Segunda Division

football forum

02402e508aa63c77ca27120fcf56b1f1.png

Table from mismarcadores.

It will be an interesting year. Sometimes I wish they showed these games as they are of genuine interest at least in its current state. There are some good players particularly at Sport Boys and Cesar Vallejo. There are probably more provincial traditional clubs here than in the first time. Union Huaral, Carlos Manucci, Sport Ancash, Cienciano and Cesar Vallejo are all traditional clubs. Sport Boys too but they're from Callao which is essentially Lima and doesn't count as provincial. Some may not agree with Cesar Vallejo being traditional but they've done enough since formed to have won themselves a place in history in the Primera.

My favourites to go up are the same as everybody. Sport Boys and Cesar Vallejo. I rather it be Boys because they're the 4th biggest club in the country and shouldn't be in this division. Let them go up and begin to form players that start in the Primera. Alexander Callens from New York City FC for example is a product of Sport Boys. Cesar Vallejo have a very good squad and will fight it. Dark horses would be Carlos Manucci who barely missed out on promotion last year and Defensor La Bocana who were in the Primera last season. 

I would like Sport Boys or Sport Loreto go up.

Starts next sunday. I'll find a few games on the Facebook pages I reckon.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have inspired me to right here and now to adopt Cienciano as my Peruvian team! (I wanted to pick a team from the third tier, but the Copa Peru seems like a brutal 'league'/tournament to follow.)  

So, I have found out some cool facts about Cienciano:

1) They won the 2003 Copa Sudamerica (equivalent of the Europa League), defeating River Plate in the Final.

2) Their two main club rivals are Melgar in the Primera División, and Deportivo Garcilaso, the latter of whom are down in the Copa Peru.

3) They play in the city of Cusco and their stadium is known as Estadio Garcilaso. At over 40,000 capacity, it is currently the biggest in the Segunda. Big home crowds!

As mentioned above, the league kicks off next weekend, and Cienciano start away to Deportivo Hualgayoc, who gained promotion to the Segunda last year as runners-up in the Copa Peru. 

Copa Peru is really only a tournament for locals. I know a few pages but you'll need to know Spanish and it isn't worth to follow a team from that competition. Too many qualifying formats can make the league too short.

Cienciano are a good choice. Very traditional club from the most touristy area in the country: Cuzco. They are the only Peruvian club to have won a continental title but amazingly have never won the league, although they've come close. 

I would agree that Melgar can be seen as a rival, but I would say their local rivals are more Real Garcilaso who are in the first tier. They are a new club but have established themselves well by reaching 2 local finals and 1 Libertadores quarter final (2013). 

They have a beautiful stadium. Don't expect big home crowds here in Peru because the fans are very fickle. However when a game does fill up, the atmosphere is lovely.

Cienciano are one of my hopes to go up. I still prefer Sport Boys as they are the 4th biggest team in the country but Cienciano would probably be my 3rd choice.

Yes, I struggled to find out much information about the Copa and sadly cannot read Spanish. I prefer a traditional league format so I am guaranteed 30-40 games to follow per season! Will you be updating your Copa Peru thread? 

I imagine the atmospheres are great when the stadiums fill up. The only South American game I’ve been to was at Botofogo’s Estádio Luso-Brasileiro in Brazil’s Serie A, a good few years ago. Fantastic instruments and flags! 

2 hours ago, tarzanontoast said:

Yes, I struggled to find out much information about the Copa and sadly cannot read Spanish. I prefer a traditional league format so I am guaranteed 30-40 games to follow per season! Will you be updating your Copa Peru thread? 

I imagine the atmospheres are great when the stadiums fill up. The only South American game I’ve been to was at Botofogo’s Estádio Luso-Brasileiro in Brazil’s Serie A, a good few years ago. Fantastic instruments and flags! 

While I am still here, yes. I'm a very busy person and don't always time or the passion to post on forums. I don't mind talking to myself though. Copa Peru will be a bit slower as the actual tournament doesn't start for months but these other 2 should have updates weekly.

Maretazo means tsunami, or high tide.

Sechurano means "from Sechura" which is where the team are based. They were one of the teams relegated from the Primera last season. Promoted from the Copa Peru in 2015.

Ah, thanks. I guess the jump from the Copa Peru to the Primera is a vast shock. Do many teams survive that first season, when they gain that double-promotion?

I’ve also noticed that there are only 15 teams in this league, meaning each set of fixtures results in one team left without an opponent. And this opening weekend, that team happens to be Defensor La Bocana. 

Cienciano kick off tomorrow away at Hualgayoc :)

3 minutes ago, tarzanontoast said:

Ah, thanks. I guess the jump from the Copa Peru to the Primera is a vast shock. Do many teams survive that first season, when they gain that double-promotion?

I’ve also noticed that there are only 15 teams in this league, meaning each set of fixtures results in one team left without an opponent. And this opening weekend, that team happens to be Defensor La Bocana. 

Cienciano kick off tomorrow away at Hualgayoc :)

To answer your first question, no. Although I do think that Sport Rosario will do it this year as they have the altitude home advantage help and have Pablo Lavandeira who was one of the stand out players last year for Municipal. 

Hualgayoc were also a Copa Peru side last season. Runners up!

Coopsol drew 1-1 with Los Caimanes. Another day, another time Alemanno fails to score.

Hoping to catch Huaral vs Sport Boys tomorrow.

Watched a bit of Sport Boys away to Huaral. Good result for Boys with a 1-0 win. They were outplayed but got chances of their own via mistakes at the back from the opposition. Johan Fano the scorer.

Other results

Alfredo Salinas 0-0 Santa Rosa

Sport Victoria 1-1 UCV

Carlos Manucci 6-1 Ancash :o

Sport Loreto 3-0 Willy Serrato

Hualgayoc vs Cienciano postponed. Not even a match in and there's already a suspension. Peruvian football at its finest xD

Also love to see Loreto winning. Behind Sport Boys, they're the team I most want to see go up.

1 hour ago, tarzanontoast said:

Why was the Cienciano match suspended? Poor pitch quality? Weather?  

Think it had to do with there being a flight problem to get to Cajamarca. Peruvian football for you xD

German Alemanno scored a goal. The world is ending!

Coopsol 2-0 Defensor La Bocana

Ancash 1-2 Alfredo Salinas

Cienciano 3-1 Sport Victoria

Sport Boys 3-2 Sport Loreto

Sport Boys 2 wins out of 2, while Sport Loreto having 5 goals in the first 2 games. Definitely a dark horse to go up. Ancash have been underwhelming so far, where as Cienciano take advantage of their home conditions and win 3-1.

Manucci currently 1-0 up at Willy Serrato. Its hard to rank them in where they would be in terms of favourites. I'd still have them below Cesar Vallejo and Sport Boys though. 3rd favourites for me, it will be interesting to see where they rank with Cienciano later on in the season though.

Universidad Cesar Vallejo making a statement on the league. 15 minutes in and they're up 4-0. I only fear the worst for Los Caimanes.

Cesar Vallejo won 7-1, leaving a statement on who they are and their squad. 

Big game next week. Manucci vs Sport Boys at Manische.

… Apparently not. :censored: Nowt but a consolation goal, and too little, too late at that. And I’ll assume that only came with the extra man, since Los Caimanes went down to 10 on 79 mins. Guess they had a right old dressing down after conceding seven last week and the hairdryer treatment must have worked! 

5910af8468c6c_Screenshot2017-05-08at18_46_12.png.5158c8d59ae017a5ec2ce3adf90e2b83.png

Table looks grim for Ancash fans, but it’s early days, though. 

5910af93ec42b_Screenshot2017-05-08at18_45_14.png.a1c6c78e01eeec031ef02f9fbf742e5b.png

To be fair, I don't think they should be too down after conceding 7 last weekend. Its always demoralizing for teams but Cesar Vallejo are outstanding. If they don't walk the league I'll be shocked.

12 goals scored in 3 games for them. Andy Pando is way too good to be playing in the Segunda. 

Ancash continue to drop points. I know they've had issues in the off season, but this is grim.

Looking like it will be a 2 horse race. No way Sport Boys or Cesar Vallejo finish outside the top 2. The match between them will be thrilling.

• The topic was pinned
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived